Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reminder to take it easy on ol' Jimmy for the first couple weeks

So I'm excited as anyone given today's news. Even if this season (and even Caldwell as an OC) doesn't pan out, the organization decided to make a change instead of doing the same thing for another year.

Caldwell has been with the team for less than a year, has never been an OC, and chances are he won't have time to install his own system. Meanwhile he'll be facing two of the best past rushing teams with this hodge-podge offensive line.

On the bright side I feel like OC's aren't as important as DC's. You can name great DC's like Lebeau, Wade Phillips, and the Ryan family but when I think of recent great OC's the only name that comes to mind is Billick ironically. There are OC's behind potent offenses in today's game but it's mainly because they have outstanding QB's who are allowed to do their thing -- I believe the defense is the more scheme heavy side.

I'm not asking for much out of Caldwell these next couple weeks. All I want to see is common sense: use the middle of the field, use Ray Rice if he's being effective, don't let Joe throw 50 passes on his off days, don't line up in the shotgun on 3rd and 2.

Re: Reminder to take it easy on ol' Jimmy for the first couple weeks

Good post. We should be patient and give time for Caldwell to get going. Hopefully 4+ games will provide some insight on Joe w/o Cam and Caldwell as an OC, but without an off-season to truly prepare for this, it's not an ideal situation for evaluation.

I haven't seen anything labeling his promotion as interim, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was on a 1-year contract. Anyone know how long Caldwell's contract is for?

Either way, I think this off-season the FO will be evaluating Joe's worth as well as the worth of Caldwell as an OC and, if necessary, other potential OCs.

My sentiments exactly. However, I think with the total disconnect between Joe and Cam showing itself multiple times over the las few years, any change is welcome, even with only three games left. I don't think anyone should feel our offense will suddenly take off now considering Caldwell has never been an OC, but he is well-respected within the organization and among the players, so I am sure they are excited for this weekend.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, not much can be gleaned from 3 weeks...

Cam's system is what we'll be running. His playbook is what we'll be looking at. His system, HIS system, is what will decide our fate this year. Caldwell may call things differently, but the plays, the routes, etc, will all be Cam's.

So if Joe looks mediocre still, you don't know if it's the same archaic system, or Joe himself.

Then, this offseason, we now have TWO decisions to make. Joe is due a contract or tag, and then do you go with Caldwell again, or make a move for Turner or someone else?

The only way this move can answer any questions is if suddenly the offense starts executing dramatically differently.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Hell with that, I want results!

;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Hell with that, I want results!

;)
    Ravens drop 42 on the Broncos.

Board explodes as fans wonder "what could have been".

Ha, yea right. Look, the Ravens had all this time to do it and waited until there were three regular season games left. Unfortunately for Jim, they didn't axe Cam just to let him slide for the 'first couple of weeks'. He's gonna need to do a better job than Cam has (and according to most everybody, that shouldn't be too hard right?) and do it immediately. Nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Caldwell may call things differently, but the plays, the routes, etc, will all be Cam's.
    I'm no expert on X's and O's but my understanding was that the Coryell system was both a system for naming plays and an overall philosophy on how to execute an offense. The naming convention necessarily will remain intact for at least the remainder of the season, but there's no reason some of the plays and routes can't change.

I don't think it would be wise to completely overhaul the formations and route concepts that we use, but Caldwell could slowly introduce some unused or infrequently used schemes. He could also emphasis different elements of the existing schemes.

Whatever, the playbook will be the same. The point is how and when to call those plays. Cam was awful at in-game adjustments. That's what will be examined: how Caldwell manages the game. If it is with Cam's plays, then fine, but hopefully Caldwell will recognize when to get away from the run and when to get away from the pass, which is something Cam showed a lot of weakness in.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Whatever, the playbook will be the same. The point is how and when to call those plays. Cam was awful at in-game adjustments. That's what will be examined: how Caldwell manages the game. If it is with Cam's plays, then fine, but hopefully Caldwell will recognize when to get away from the run and when to get away from the pass, which is something Cam showed a lot of weakness in.
    If I could sum up Cam in a nutshell, it would be as if he sat down at his dinner table Saturday night and picked fifty of his favorite plays. On game day he just stared down at his sheet and rattled each one off, never looking up to see the game.

Blog Entries

You know what, I'll take scoring less points if we have long sustined drives, utilize the middle of the field, run some quick slants and rubs when the timing calls for it. You know intelligent playcalling. Sure Cam got it right once in a while but every squirrel can find a nut here and there.

Caldwell has never called plays, but he's worked with Manning who DID call the plays and I'm sure has had lengthy discussions about how he waned things to run. If Jimmy can hand that knowledge to Flacco and let him go with a idea here and there nd a hey peyton would prob do this is this situation every once in a while and I'm happy.

Thought the playbook/system will be similar, I do expect to see some differences that are very noticeable. These guys are professional football players, many of whom have played in different systems, I don't see it unreasonable that new plays are implemented