Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Osemele will start opening game, McKinnie in danger to make roster

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think a trade up is almost essential int he upcoming draft.
    for an Olineman? maybe a spot or two up from 32 but that's all I could see ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I don't think the signings matter until you start your season.
    I think you may be right. Or, more to the point, in retrospect, I think the league only counts "compensatory" free agents -- free agents who meet certain salary, playing time and achievement status. So the guys you mention probably won't rise to the level to be counted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    for an Olineman? maybe a spot or two up from 32 but that's all I could see ;)
    I'd like to trade up to the early teens. I'd trade our first two picks for a legit LT.

Blog Entries

I'd like to trade up to the early teens. I'd trade our first two picks for a legit LT.
    But consider the risks involved with a decision like that.

Sure, they get a crack at a top rated LT prospect...but it's still a fairly substantial risk. Who knows if that LT will pan out or not. Look at Jason Smith in St. Louis. 2nd overall pick as a LT prospect.

Sometimes the devil you know is a better situation than the devil you don't.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

b
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    But consider the risks involved with a decision like that.

Sure, they get a crack at a top rated LT prospect...but it's still a fairly substantial risk. Who knows if that LT will pan out or not. Look at Jason Smith in St. Louis. 2nd overall pick as a LT prospect.

Sometimes the devil you know is a better situation than the devil you don't.
    All picks are risks. Look at any number of draft busts at every single position.
    I think our OL is the biggest weakness on the roster(with a healthy Suggs0 and I think basically every top LT was picked in the top 15 overall of their respective draft. The risk/reward of such a move is acceptable to me.

b

All picks are risks. Look at any number of draft busts at every single position.
    I think our OL is the biggest weakness on the roster(with a healthy Suggs0 and I think basically every top LT was picked in the top 15 overall of their respective draft. The risk/reward of such a move is acceptable to me.
    I agree that LT should be a priority, but I don't agree with this.

Off the top of my head...Peters was undrafted, Duane Brown was a late 1st, Whitworth was a 2nd, Roos was a 2nd. I'm sure there are more.

You can find good LT's later in the top rounds.

Blog Entries

Off the top of my head...Peters was undrafted, Duane Brown was a late 1st, Whitworth was a 2nd, Roos was a 2nd. I'm sure there are more.

They are few and far between, but this is true. You can find and develop quality LT's outside of the top 15.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Funny to me, is that you listed, IMO the most overrated LT's in football, as in ever single one of them.

Gaither was 5th supplemental, Donald Penn UDFA, Veldheer in the 3rd, Joe Staley late first... yet despite my addition, we still haven't named probably 70% of the players I would consider better then average(top 15).

It's like saying you can find a HOF QB late because of Brady and Romo... sure you can, but mathematically, it's a BADDD way to go about it. Top end Tackles are almost never worse then solid-great guards(Robert Gallery) when everythign shakes out. Busts at other positions many times are out of football ina few years.

I would argue that LT is the LOWEST RISK of all high level picks, and also that it is a position that subscribes to the "planet theory" in that theere are only a set ammount of people on the planet that have the size and skillset to play the position at a high level. Traditionally this means "most" of the LT prospects are gone by the teens, early 20's overall.

Sure we could luck into another Jared Gaither, but I think I'd rather devote solid assets to make the scenario more likely. And maybe, jsut maybe, he wouldn't have a flawed character and wouldn't need to be driven from the team.

I dont believe signing released players count towards compensatory picks which excludes Jones, Painter or Mcbean....someone please correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I dont believe signing released players count towards compensatory picks which excludes Jones, Painter or Mcbean....someone please correct me if im wrong.
    If you are correct that all three were released, you are correct that they don't count. Just like us cutting Chris Carr makes him not count.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    You are correct that signing street free agents (guys who had been released) don't factor in the compensatory pick equation. However, I don't think McBean was released. McBean had been offered a contract by Denver, but then they pulled it after the impending suspension came to light. But I think he was technically still under contract and not released when the Ravens signed him.

Gaither was 5th supplemental, Donald Penn UDFA, Veldheer in the 3rd, Joe Staley late first... yet despite my addition, we still haven't named probably 70% of the players I would consider better then average(top 15).

It's like saying you can find a HOF QB late because of Brady and Romo... sure you can, but mathematically, it's a BADDD way to go about it. Top end Tackles are almost never worse then solid-great guards(Robert Gallery) when everythign shakes out. Busts at other positions many times are out of football ina few years.

I would argue that LT is the LOWEST RISK of all high level picks, and also that it is a position that subscribes to the "planet theory" in that theere are only a set ammount of people on the planet that have the size and skillset to play the position at a high level. Traditionally this means "most" of the LT prospects are gone by the teens, early 20's overall.

Sure we could luck into another Jared Gaither, but I think I'd rather devote solid assets to make the scenario more likely. And maybe, jsut maybe, he wouldn't have a flawed character and wouldn't need to be driven from the team.
    Ok, list your top 15 OT's and I can go from there.

And Gaither is hardly the only player...I just named 4, and you apparently consider Gaither in that group. That's 5 out of the 15. Penn, Valdheer and Staley makes it 8 of the top 15. Over half.