Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What If on Caldwell

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Why aren't people account for the likelihood that Caldwell simply steps back down to QB coach? After all, he's only an interim OC. I see no reason to think that he's either OC next year or he's gone. The organization wants to keep Flacco happy and the best way to do that is to keep Caldwell on staff, but not necessarily as OC.

The most likely scenario IMO is that Caldwell steps down from interim OC back to QB coach and a different, more experienced OC like Norv Turner or Ken Whisenhunt is brought in. I see no reason Caldwell wouldn't accept that. I presume nothing has been promised to him and have seen nothing to indicate otherwise.

I really don't see the incentive for Caldwell to aggressively pursue the OC spot. He's shown that he can handle calling plays which is nice, but he's just as likely to get a look as a HC candidate if he stays at QB coach and continues to progress in developing Joe Flacco. Remember that he made the jump straight from QB coach to HC in Indianapolis--going from position coach to HC without being a coordinator in between happens all the time.
    I think no matter what happens, the team needs to make an effort to keep him on the staff as a QB coach at minimum.

Like you, I don't think this is an "OC or off the staff" decision that would need to be made here.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

This week is kind of like the final exam, vs a very good defense with no glaring weaknesses. If Caldwell's game planning & adjustments can at least keep the team in the game (& that includes keeping the defense off the field long enough to catch its breath) then everyone can feel pretty confident about his ability to do the job. And that's good for him even if he doesn't want the position permanently--it makes him that much more attractive to other teams in the future.

I don't even think it's about can he do the job.

It's "is there someone else out there who is better". There are a lot of good guys out there who have had a ton of success as well and may have a philosophy that meshes even better with Joe and our personel.

And if you shut the door without actually looking out of the window, I think you are making a huge mistake.

I would not be pissed if Caldwell is our OC...but the team owes it to itself, Joe and the fans to get the best guy in here that they can...or at least attempt to.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Personally, I believe we *should* go fishing for a new offensive coordinator.

My belief is based on my idea that Caldwell is our offensive coordinator in name only. In function, he is merely the play caller and game planner. In theory, an offensive coordinator must implement an offensive system. They must design a play book. Caldwell did not do this for our offense. He is merely the manager of Cam Cameron's offense.

I believe whole-heartedly that we must implement a new system (a new playbook) following this season. Going forward with an offensive coordinator who merely manages Cam Cameron's system (a failed system, at that) is not the answer.

I don't know if I believe Jim Caldwell is capable of designing a playbook and implementing a system of his own. He's never done it before.

It's one of those tough decisions though, because I think Jim Caldwell may be capable of performing the role of "Offensive Manager" (calling the plays and establishing the game plan) very well, but I don't want him managing THIS offense. I want a NEW offense. And again, I am not sure if he has the credentials and experience to design an effective offense.

Blog Entries

From my perspective:

I think Caldwell, if he wants it, should be interviewed and considered just as much as any other potential candidate. The first Broncos game aside, I thought he has put together a pretty decent offensive game plan that utilized the strengths of the team and successfully exploited weaknesses in the opponents defense. Could they have been better? Sure, but you can say that about ANY offense.

I'd like to see the Ravens take their time, do their homework, interview several different candidates (Norv, Pat Shurmur, Pete Carmichael, Karl Dorrell, Greg Knapp, etc). I would also hope that the Ravens get input from Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Torrey, and Pitta. Not necessarily on WHO they should hire, but more of the direction that they want to see the offense go. From there, compare the players wishes with the head coaches analysis, and correlate it with who they are interviewing. If a candidate's philosophy and offensive view doesn't add up...eliminate them. If all of those things match up, then they might be a good option.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Personally, I believe we *should* go fishing for a new offensive coordinator.

My belief is based on my idea that Caldwell is our offensive coordinator in name only. In function, he is merely the play caller and game planner. In theory, an offensive coordinator must implement an offensive system. They must design a play book. Caldwell did not do this for our offense. He is merely the manager of Cam Cameron's offense.

I believe whole-heartedly that we must implement a new system (a new playbook) following this season. Going forward with an offensive coordinator who merely manages Cam Cameron's system (a failed system, at that) is not the answer.

I don't know if I believe Jim Caldwell is capable of designing a playbook and implementing a system of his own. He's never done it before.

It's one of those tough decisions though, because I think Jim Caldwell may be capable of performing the role of "Offensive Manager" (calling the plays and establishing the game plan) very well, but I don't want him managing THIS offense. I want a NEW offense. And again, I am not sure if he has the credentials and experience to design an effective offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    From my perspective:

I think Caldwell, if he wants it, should be interviewed and considered just as much as any other potential candidate. The first Broncos game aside, I thought he has put together a pretty decent offensive game plan that utilized the strengths of the team and successfully exploited weaknesses in the opponents defense. Could they have been better? Sure, but you can say that about ANY offense.

I'd like to see the Ravens take their time, do their homework, interview several different candidates (Norv, Pat Shurmur, Pete Carmichael, Karl Dorrell, Greg Knapp, etc). I would also hope that the Ravens get input from Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Torrey, and Pitta. Not necessarily on WHO they should hire, but more of the direction that they want to see the offense go. From there, compare the players wishes with the head coaches analysis, and correlate it with who they are interviewing. If a candidate's philosophy and offensive view doesn't add up...eliminate them. If all of those things match up, then they might be a good option.
    I agree with both of you.

I would not exclude Caldwell at all and I'd have him interview for the job as well. If he is the best guy for the job, then he should get it.

And that's also what I was getting at with philosophy...you have to look at more than simply play calling and a couple weeks of game planning.

What is the objective/identity of the offense overall...over the course of the season? What type of passing game will be emphasized? What is the vision for Joe? Rice? Offensive line? Tempo? Aggressive vs Conservative? Adjustments? What type of players do you want acquired that would match with what you want to do with the offense? How can you adjust your offense to take advantage of what you have? Do you listen to input from your coaches and players? How well will you mesh it all together?

There is a lot to look at, and you can't get all of it from just looking at a couple game plans.

Norv Turner.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I still think that it will either be Norv Turner or Jim Caldwell. If the offense struggles Sunday, it will likely be Norv. If Caldwell wants to return to being a QB coach, it will likely be Norv. If the offense is successful enough to at least get them back to the AFC Championship Game, it could be Caldwell if he wants it.

I think that the front office wants an experienced OC. Joe Flacco was drafted for Cameron's system, because he fits the 'system', as did Rivers and Brees. The issue was more so that Cameron's administration of the system was not the best and that all three QBs eventually peaked under Cameron's leadership, which was poor.

Norv Turner runs the system, in my opinion, much better than Cameron and his resume is impressive. He just happens to be a guy, much like Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan, who is not cut out for being a Head Coach.

Personally, I still want Norv Turner to come and bring Denario Alexander with him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Also, IMHO, of all the potential open OC jobs out there, we have by far the best situation so I think as long as Bisciotti ponies up the money, and we actually go out and look with somewhat of an open mind, we'd should have the pick of the litter.

Blog Entries

That is true. If you look at the talent on this offense, it's not as far off as Cameron made it seem.

We have a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB (Space back), a young back on the rise (stretch power back), the best FB in the league, a reliable pass catching possession TE, one of the rising deep threats in the league and most of the pieces for a quality offensive line. There is a chance that Boldin may be a financial casualty, but they are only really missing a LT and #2 WR.

You can either draft Jones or let Gradkowski step in at C, because it would be very difficult to give less than what has been given by Birk. Osemele can play at LG and Oher can return to RT.

That is a lot of talent for a veteran play caller to work with.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Norv Turner.
    He certainly would make a lot of sense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    If he wants the job, I think he should get the job. I'd think that since he's hasnt done it, he'd welcome the challenge.
    I agree with my fellow Hokie fan! I like the rhythm and balance he brings to the offense.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton