Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jags cut Lee Evans - Jags took 3 weeks - Ravens took a year

There's something wrong with the Raven's system of evaluating talent. Why did it take the Ravens a year to figure out Lee Evans didn't have it anymore. It only took the Jags about three weeks of training camp to give old Lee Evans the heave ho.

My great fear is that we will cut the wrong kicker (Tucker) and keep the mediocre Cundiff.

Re: Jags cut Lee Evans - Jags took 3 weeks - Ravens took a year

I am not going to lie, a part of me wants the Browns or Steelers to sign him.... So we can light him up twice, maybe then will the pain of last year go away.

Blog Entries

Im not sure there is anything wrong besides trying to remain under the cap and find cheap gems or has beens with something left. Stallworth/evans its pretty obvious what the hope was and we hit it with torrey. Both those players had similar skillsets and came at a discount which we could afford and werent the known has beens they now are. Pretty simple i think, we just happened not to hit onany and now teams are taking a look for themselves. I dont thinks evans or stalworth were ever a real part of the offense but if iirc evans was our most impressive wr in pre season last year and once the season started there was no benefit to cut him, so when should we have in your opinion?
    -JAB

Evans was only 1 catch away from being resigned and declared a hero for the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Evans wasnt cut during the season because we still had to pay him so there would have been no point in cutting him. He was cut from Jacksonville in the preseason before his salary was gauranteed

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    There's something wrong with the Raven's system of evaluating talent. Why did it take the Ravens a year to figure out Lee Evans didn't have it anymore. It only took the Jags about three weeks of training camp to give old Lee Evans the heave ho.
    Yes, they are sooooo poor at it that they've been to the playoffs 4 straight years (and to the AFCC game twice during that period) and the playoffs in 8 of the last 12 years.

As far as Evans goes, he was always know for having good hand and he was having a good game before the drop/strip. He obviously had something left in the tank then. He simply failed to secure the ball in the most inopportune of times. It happens. Unfortunately it happened while he was a Raven and cost the team a chance to go to the SB.

Now, who knows? Something like that is something that he may not have recovered from (and may never).

My great fear is that we will cut the wrong kicker (Tucker) and keep the mediocre Cundiff.
    The last time they had this decision, they chose the cheaper, less experienced PK (Cundiff) over the more expensive, odds on favorite (Graham). At the time, they kept the right PK.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 08-12-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

It was the willing suspension of disbelief. Evans was a very good player for the Bills for many years. He was 31 years old which for the wide receiver position isn't that old. They believed that once over some seemingly minor injuries he would be back to form and be a good #2. I loved the trade when it happened for all those reasons. Sometimes though it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It was the willing suspension of disbelief. Evans was a very good player for the Bills for many years. He was 31 years old which for the wide receiver position isn't that old. They believed that once over some seemingly minor injuries he would be back to form and be a good #2. I loved the trade when it happened for all those reasons. Sometimes though it doesn't work out.
    Yes, this.

Frankly, it's a bit of a childish statement to say that the Ravens somehow are such a poor judge of talent that they couldn't tell Evans had it. Very selective memory. He certainly had it when he was catching everything in the preseason. He then got hurt in game #1 and wasn't really back to full strength for 2.5-3 months. Once he got healthy again, he made some contributions (a big 3rd down catch against SF and a big catch in the playoffs against HOU). Evans didn't work out, but that doesn't detract from the fact that it was still a very good move to bring him in to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post

He did look good during the preseason before he got hurt, he just hasn't been the same since. I was happy when the trade happened last summer but a lot can change in a year. Sometimes father time catches up to you sooner than you think and of course the drop in the AFC Title game hasn't been easy for him to forget. I wish Evans all the best in whatever he does moving forward, he's a good guy and was a good receiver.

Report out of Jacksonville (per Sirius) was that Lee Evans was markedly slower coming out of breaks.

Fr. Time.

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Report out of Jacksonville (per Sirius) was that Lee Evans was markedly slower coming out of breaks.

Fr. Time.
    That's true, I saw on Jaguars.com that Mike Mularkey said he wasn't the same player.

Blog Entries

Sugar Ray is right. If you saw him during the preseason, it seemed like he and Flacco were going to click quickly. He looked like the missing piece, until he hurt his ankle against Washington, following a tackle that was pretty close to a horse collar.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore