Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nfl's most penalized team - ravens

Totally UnAcceptable!! To me this is symptomatic of what has been wrong with this team - Lack of Discipline! The HC has got to take control of this team. It frustrates the Hell out of me when we have players killing drives because they want to demonstrate their 'manhood', and I use this term lightly, because in most instances they were just outmanned by their opponent - '53 Mighty Men' you NO longer are!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Nfl's most penalized team - ravens

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Totally UnAcceptable!! To me this is symptomatic of what has been wrong with this team - Lack of Discipline! The HC has got to take control of this team. It frustrates the Hell out of me when we have players killing drives because they want to demonstrate their 'manhood', and I use this term lightly, because in most instances they were just outmanned by their opponent - '53 Mighty Men' you NO longer are!
    I started a thread on this shortly before the Cleveland game and at the time the consensus was that the data was skewed given the presence of replacement refs. 3 games later it's still a problem. Discpline on the field and between the whistle is definately a problem and uncharacteristic of John Harbaugh's teams. Let's hope this improves because we've enougt issues on both sides of the ball to contend with.

Blog Entries

Uh-oh.... wan't that one of Billick's big downfalls? No discipline?

Sharpen the ax Stevie B. That "gut feeling" might hit you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I started a thread on this shortly before the Cleveland game and at the time the consensus was that the data was skewed given the presence of replacement refs. 3 games later it's still a problem. Discpline on the field and between the whistle is definately a problem and uncharacteristic of John Harbaugh's teams. Let's hope this improves because we've enougt issues on both sides of the ball to contend with.
    I was really hoping it was the replacement refs. Very difficult to change this in season. I remember Billick having a year like that and the next season the Ravens were among the least penalized because he focused on it during camp. Other than telling the players to stop and think I don't see how Harbaugh fix it. No one is getting benched because we're not deep enough to do it.

I consider penalties right up there with turnovers. They stall/kill drives and protract our opponents drives. They contribute significantly to losing games. I also agree with GOTA that it's hard to fix in season. I think we're going to see a lot more of it and it will undoubtedly hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by RavNMadMan View Post
    I also agree with GOTA that it's hard to fix in season. I think we're going to see a lot more of it and it will undoubtedly hurt us.
    I don't know; sticking a cattle prod up there derriere might work! It always worked with my coaches!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Uncharacteristic? Didnt we lead the league in penalties 2 years ago?

Blog Entries

This is what happens when you get younger. It is all apart of the process.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It is?

We are not all that young of a team. Middle of the pack, IIRC, with teams that are younger than ours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    NOT! A well-discipined team would not carry on in such a way - these are professional athletes, and should know (and be trained) better! This is TOTALLY on the coaching staff - all of the coaches, starting with HARBS!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    NOT! A well-discipined team would not carry on in such a way - these are professional athletes, and should know (and be trained) better! This is TOTALLY on the coaching staff - all of the coaches, starting with HARBS!
    Honestly, at this point, I don't understand what the problem is.
    I am not even sure it is the coaching per se.
    When our linemen that we have had for a few years still jump offside, I can't explain it.
    When our defenders try covering wideouts and touch them and we get flagged, I say ok...unless of course I watch everyone else around the league grabbing and pulling and holding the entire play and nothing is called, including against our wideouts, I can't explain it.
    When I watched our receivers get held the entire game against the Eagles and then offensive PI was called on us on a TD play, I can't explain it. Yes, it was rental refs.
    And when I see our Olinemen called for holding and then see our DLinemen held all day and no calls, I can't explain it.

But in the end, the players themselves should be accountable. I do think one of the hardest things to do in football is to be a defensive player in pass coverage since they are not allowed to touch them or hit them as the ball gets there. Sometimes it's called hitting a defenseless player and sometimes its called a great play and sometimes its called illegal contact.

The ones that get me are the trashtalking and pushing after the play is over and/or jawing to the refs.
    It doesn't help anything. I understand the frustration because our defense is getting pushed around like never before, but you have to act like you have some sense and know they are trying to get our guys to blow their lid and it's working.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a breakdown by unit? Would like to know if majority is offense, defense or st.
    I also assume....that most occur on the road?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!