Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

John Harbaugh

John Harbaugh's evolution as a Head Coach is one that is admirable and pleasant to witness. There may not be a particular area of growth within his coaching abilities, and overall coaching skills, that can be magnified. However, there seems to be situation where the collection exceeds the sum of the parts.

One instance dates back to the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl. John Harbaugh employed began that AFC Championship Game, employing his usual strategy of playing to keep the game close early, while looking to his playmakers, on both sides of the ball, to be the difference in the fourth quarter. At halftime, the Ravens were not far behind. However, rather than relive games past, where they wait until late in the fourth to put the ball in Flacco's hands. He announced to the team at Halftime that Flacco was going to lead them to a Super Bowl.

The firing of Cam Cameron, leading up to that postseason was, without question, out of character for John Harbaugh. A man who personifies continuity, firing the man he'd been so loyal to, when the football world knew it was overdue to be done, but also when they least expected it.

Another instance is with the hiring of Gary Kubiak. I believe that it's safe to say, that three years ago, John Harbaugh would not have hired a Gary Kubiak if available, let alone given him the amount of control over the offense that Kubiak apparently has.

It speaks to so many steps forward in Harbaugh's psyche' (As if I know what he's thinking. lol). To finally realize what his truth strength was: Management, to recognize that he could not fix the offense and that his input in the offense was not going to help take it to the next level. To recognize that he had to turn it over to a proven commodity and that a change in the offensive philosophy was needed. Even if we all saw this years prior.

This, coming from such a stern and sometimes unyielding figure.

We've all criticized Harbaugh or heard criticisms about his 'Coach Speak' to the media. Not too long ago, I was on NBCSports.com and they posted a video of Mike Florio talking to Harbaugh about the Ray Rice incident, among other in general. Harbaugh spoke about how the previous CBA didn't address the time that players get to spend with coaches, where they can, not necessarily be monitored, but mentored outside of football.

He also spoke about athletes understanding the nature of their profession and that they are under a microscope. He specifically used Jah Reid's incident as an example (Bar Fight). He even delved into the explanation that Reid gave him about the issue, that he (Reid) wasn't the one that started the fight. Harbaugh essentially explained to Reid that his buddy(')s name(s) aren't in the newspaper. That his name is in the newspaper and that's the part that the players need to understand sometimes.

It was one of the most open and honest interviews I've ever seen John Harbaugh do.

It seems that he is on his way to finding a more healthy balance as a Head Coach and it could lead to even greater success in the future.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: John Harbaugh

Here we go again ...

For what is worth, he has joined the cradle of coaches.

Here is the link:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...le-of-coaches/

As for Harbaugh as a coach, I agreed with Ex. He has evolved in the past few years, and we will finally get to see his coaching acumen (I think this will be the first season that he will have prominent coaches who are directly linked to him or his family).

I hate to be the negative Nelly, but I'm still not sure if Harbaugh is a good coach or not. I'm of the mind the Ray Lewis functioned as much as a coach in his later years as anyone. The concept of "play like a Raven" really meant to me "play like Ray Lewis". Harbaugh also has been given a great roster by one of the best GMs in the game. Harbaugh has turned a great attacking and aggressive defense into a passive bend-but-don't-break unit that collapses in the 4th quarter. He doesn't offer any tactical insight regarding how to coordinate an offense or a defense.

Despite my gripes, I'm still open to the idea that Harbaugh is a good coach. But he's reliant on his coordinator choices, which haven't always been good. Kubiak is good. Pees does not maximize the talent on defense. Special teams is obviously excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post
    I hate to be the negative Nelly, but I'm still not sure if Harbaugh is a good coach or not. I'm of the mind the Ray Lewis functioned as much as a coach in his later years as anyone. The concept of "play like a Raven" really meant to me "play like Ray Lewis". Harbaugh also has been given a great roster by one of the best GMs in the game. Harbaugh has turned a great attacking and aggressive defense into a passive bend-but-don't-break unit that collapses in the 4th quarter. He doesn't offer any tactical insight regarding how to coordinate an offense or a defense.

Despite my gripes, I'm still open to the idea that Harbaugh is a good coach. But he's reliant on his coordinator choices, which haven't always been good. Kubiak is good. Pees does not maximize the talent on defense. Special teams is obviously excellent.
    Your not the only one that feels this way.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Harbaugh sucks, luckily he's going to coach Texas next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenstatsman View Post

But even if you look at it from that perspective, this shows Harbs skills as a coach. I have always believed in and appreciated Harbs not because he's a defensive genius or offensive guru but because he, just like Biscotti, hires people to do their job. As a head coach, he has to make sure everything runs smoothly and the gears are turning on a day to day basics. If anything, I would be very disappointed if he decided to meddle with offensive or defensive schemes.

Now to address those points, let's look them from this perspective:

I am of the opinion players best learn from other players and follow their footsteps, rather than higher figures of authority (coaches and whatnot). Thus, when people say "Ray ran the defense" or "Play like Ray Lewis" I don't see how this is bad thing. If I was Harbs and I saw people motivated by an inspiring, legendary football player, wouldn't I want to use his ability as a motivator for my team?

Regarding the defense:

1) If you want Harbs to fall on the sword for Pees and Mattison's defenses, then you should praise him for Pagano's and Rex's defenses. I am of the opinion that Harbs shouldn't have take any credit or criticism for the defense. He let's coordinators do their job. If they do their job and their schemes work, then they stay. If they can't do their job, then they get fired. It's pretty simple and as far as I can see, that is how Harbs operates.

Harbs doesn't need to do anything more that manage the team. His job is to make sure that everyone is doing their job. And as far as I can tell, he's been fairly successful at it.

Here's what I have to say to the "Harbs' success came from having Ray" 1.Harbs had Ray on the downside of his career, not his prime. 2. Ted Marchibroda had Ray Lewis for 3 years, the Ravens were getting arrested, the defense was garbage, and the Ravens didn't even go 8-8. Brian Billick had Ray from 1999-2007 and made the playoffs 4 times in that 9 season span winning 5 times (4 in one year), and putting up some awful offenses. Harbs benefited from having Ray around, but Harbs' success didn't completely come from Ray, After all I don't think Ray would fix one of the worst Ravens offenses ever. God knows he could only do so much for Billick.

Blog Entries

John Harbaugh

Coaches are only as good as their players and 99% of players are only as only as good as the system in which they play in.

This whole "Harbs rode the coattails of Ray Lewis" is crap. Of course he rode the coattails of Lewis. He also rode the coattails of Suggs, Reed, Flacco, Boldin, and every other player that peaked at just the right time. Belichick has rode the coattails of Tom Brady, Fox has rode the coattails of Peyton, and so on. Why do so many fans look at a SB winning TEAM and single someone out and say they had little to nothing to do with the success. Does anyone honestly think we win the 2012 SB without Joe Flacco? Or Ray Rice? Or Suggs? Or Boldin? Or Pitta? Or Ellerbe? Or Kruger? Or Reed? Or everyone else on the team? Maybe not. Probably not. Winning a championship is the epitome of a team effort. Harbs was a major part of that. Like him, love him, or hate him; he was an integral part of how the team functioned and how they got there.

Someone else posted it above and it is completely true. Good Head Coaches make sure everything runs smoothly. They're in charge of operations. They get input from everyone and make sure everyone has a good gameplan. They support where it is needed and they back off when it is needed. Being a Head Coach is more about interpersonal skills and big management skills than football knowledge; however, clearly you can't be a football dummy and be a head coach.

That is why some coaches are great coordinators, but suck as head coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'm good with Harbs. Pees needs to go. Can't stand that guy.

Like I said, here we go again ....

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I'm good with Harbs. Pees needs to go. Can't stand that guy.
    Can I second this? I really miss Ryan/Pags.