Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How About Demetrius Williams As A KR/PR?

Remembering how elusive Demetrius was during the Summer, I wonder if we are giving any thought to trying him as a backup to Cory Ross?

We can't afford to have Clayton to backup Ross, because Clayton could become injured during a return.

I think that Cory will not only handle these duties well, but Ross has the speed and burst to break some TDs.

That said, Demetrius's speed and burst also intrigues me as a PR/KR.

Thoughts on Demetrius as a KR/PR?
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: How About Demetrius Williams As A KR/PR?

Yeah, I think that could be a good option! There is no way we can risk Clayton....

what about Ngata for KR

Why can't you risk Clayton? He has just as much of a chance of being injured on a crossing route as he does on a kickof return. I'd think Clayton's elusiveness could be a big weapon on returns. It's ridiculous to keep him off the field just because you don't want to risk injury.
    Last edited by Losac; 10-04-2006 at 09:55 AM.

Not everyone can return kicks. CMac couldn't do it, and he's an elite athlete with speed and good moves. Clayton's done it before, but I would only look to him as a backup.

In any case, I think we'll need someone for 4 games as I see a suspension coming for BJ.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I think using Ross as the primary return guy with Clayton as backup is not a terrible thing.

Clayton has been clutch, losing him would hurt that is for certain. However, I don't see how Williams being hurt would be any better. Yes, he's the #3, but he's also a different WR that Clayton and Mason.

Go with the guys that have proven they can return kicks and punts. Yes, the possibility of having Clayton return kicks isn't good. He's also not doing it yet, so I think we're a bit premature in worrying about the issue.

Did PJ Daniels get picked up by anyone else yet? Maybe that's a good way for him to try and play his way onto the team.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Did PJ Daniels get picked up by anyone else yet? Maybe that's a good way for him to try and play his way onto the team.
    I don't think Daniels was ever given a shot at returns during camp. I'd rather have people back there with experience like Ross and if necessary Clayton.

Stinger, on an unrelated topic are you still doing video clips? I've checked out your site but it doesn't appear to have updated since the preseason.

Blog Entries

P.J. Daniels was not cut...he's on our 53 man roster ALONG with Ross...both have been on the inactive list all 4 games this season.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I don't like the idea of Clayton returning kicks, but punts I think he's our best option.

Of course putting Mark in for punt-returns is a risk, but these are the risks teams are forced into when unreliable players turn one-time mistakes into trends. BJ Sams screws up, and now the team is in a bind.

I would love to see Musa return kicks. I think he's an ideal kick returner. I'm not buying the Cory Ross hype - a poor man's Darren Sproles at best. I know this puts the team in a precarious position, but my vote would be Musa for KR, Clayton for PR.

Maybe mix in Ross at both jobs until he proves his worth as the full-time guy.

Umm, if Demetrius Williams wasn't back there returning kickoffs and punts during training camp, that kinda means he may not be suited for the job.

What would be the purpose for Cory Ross even being on this team, if he wasn't going to be doing the KR/PR duties?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    What would be the purpose for Cory Ross even being on this team, if he wasn't going to be doing the KR/PR duties?

How did it take 10 posts to get to this. As soon as you read this, the irony of the discussion makes you feel stupid. Ross will do it, if he gets hurt, that's when we worry about "if" Clayton will get hurt. IMO Clayton wouldn't be the worst loss ever either, as DW would do ok as a no 2 WR on this team.

According to Casey Willet, Reed and Clayton were returning kicks today in practice. Ross was on the scout team and did not return kicks. Am I the only one who doesn't want to see those 2 doing this?
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.