Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

4 more comp picks in 2014

So with the loss of Ed Reed to Houston, the Ravens are now looking at 4 comp picks in 2014 for the losses of Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams and Reed.

Anyone want to guess what rounds they will be in? That means Ozzie will have 23 picks in the next two years.

That's a lot of "juice" as Ozzie likes to say to rebuild this team, in particular the defense. In the meantime, he's bringing in 1-2 year stop gap guys in Canty, Spears, Huff (potentially), Dumerville or Harrison (potentially) who are salary cap casualties who don't count against comp picks. Sounds like a plan to me.

Blog Entries

Re: 4 more comp picks in 2014

This team is in a very good spot right now as opposed to the popular dumb fan mentality. We have the most important piece in Joe Flacco locked up and most of the offense in tact. It's just a matter of getting an infusion of young talent on the defense and some key low-priced FA additions. And we know Ozzie is great at finding low priced gems in FA and talent especially defensive talent in the draft or undrafted free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by psuraven View Post
    So with the loss of Ed Reed to Houston, the Ravens are now looking at 4 comp picks in 2014 for the losses of Kruger, Ellerbe, Williams and Reed.

Anyone want to guess what rounds they will be in? That means Ozzie will have 23 picks in the next two years.

That's a lot of "juice" as Ozzie likes to say to rebuild this team, in particular the defense. In the meantime, he's bringing in 1-2 year stop gap guys in Canty, Spears, Huff (potentially), Dumerville or Harrison (potentially) who are salary cap casualties who don't count against comp picks. Sounds like a plan to me.
    Likely something like...2 4th's for Kruber and Ellerbe, and 2 6th's for Williams and Reed.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

yeah id assume two 4ths, maybe a 5th for Reed (depending if he got the 3/16 reported), if not a 6th for him and Cary should get a 6th as well.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Also, temper with the notion that FA is far from over....

Ozzie may still sign a guy on the cheap who was a UFA.
    BMac could get signed somewhere as well.

I'm optimistic we'd end up getting 4 when all is said and done.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

For comp picks my guess is (2) 4th's but you might get a 3rd for Kruger he signed an 8million dollar deal, likely a 5th for Williams..will start and signing a 5million deal, Reed likely a 6th...but could slide to 5th. Picks more likely to slide in Ravens direction because all signed big deals and will start. Next years draft will be stockpiled with 11 picks, then 12 for this season(if they dont trade up or back)

copied from a thread I started way later than this...

Is it too early to look at some comp picks Oz & Co. (and others) might acquire for next year? Maybe.

But let's do it anyway!

Here are the contracts signed for $30M+...feel free to add on.

Tier 1
    Mike Wallace - signed with Dolphins for 5yr/$60M - 3rd round comp for Pitt
    Greg Jennings - signed w/ Vikings for 5/$47.5 - 3rd rd comp for GB

Tier 2
    Dashon Goldson - signed w/ Bucs for 5/$41.5 - 3rd/4th rd comp for San Fran
    Paul Kruger - signed w/ Cleveland for 5/$41 - 3rd/4th rd comp for Baltimore

Tier 3
    Andy Levitre - signed w/ Titans for 5/$39 - 4th rd comp for Buffalo
    Jermon Bushrod - signed w/ Bears for 5/$36 - offset by NO signing Keenan Lewis - possible 7th rd
    Dannell Ellerbe - signed w/ Dolphins for 5/$35 - 4th rd comp for Baltimore
    Jarred Cook - signed w/ Rams for 5/$35 - offset by Titans signing Andy Levitre
    Jake Long - signed w/ Rams for 4/$34 - offset by Dolphins signing "take your pick"
    Gosder Cherilius - Signed with Indy for 5/$34 - 4th rd comp for Detroit
    Desmond Bryant - Signed with Cleveland for 5/$34 - 4th rd comp for Oakland
    Danny Amendola - signed w/ NE for 5/$31 - offset by Rams signing Cook/Long
    Last edited by OhThePossibilities; 03-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.

I'd imagine that 90% of the FA that Ozzie signs will be cut from their previous contract, so we'll probably wind up getting four comp picks again. Too bad that this wasn't early 2000's baseball. We'd be getting 9 first round picks a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I'd imagine that 90% of the FA that Ozzie signs will be cut from their previous contract, so we'll probably wind up getting four comp picks again. Too bad that this wasn't early 2000's baseball. We'd be getting 9 first round picks a year!
    How did that work in the MLB, anyway?

Prior to the new CBA, when free agents left one team to sign for another, they were classified as Type 1 or Type 2 players, solely by the size of their contract with the new team. When a Type 1 player was signed, it the new team gave their 1st round pick to the former team, and the former team got an extra sandwich pick (pick between the 1st and 2nd round). When a type 2 player was signed, the new team gave up their 2nd round pick to the new team. So this was a pretty giant loophole. Where if you lose players, the two teams after profit from it as a whole. The A's had 7 first round picks one year because of this. They were also pretty liberal in what they considered Type 1 players. I'd imagine that our four losses could make cases for being Type 1 equivilents. At least Ellerbe and Kruger, not sure about Reed and C Williams (ignoring the differences in salaries between the 2 sports, speaking in relative terms of coarse).

The new CBA removes the Tier 2 designation, and only has Tier 1 players. Instead of the pick compensation being automatic, it's kind of turned into a hybrid between the franchise tag and the comp system for the NFL. The former team must offer a player the average of the top 125 salaries in the league for one year, about $12 million this off-season. That player had to be on the roster for the entire previous season. The new team gives up their highest available pick, excluding top 10 overall picks, and the former team gets a sandwich pick, not the original team's pick. Not to be confused with the competitive balance lottery picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Prior to the new CBA, when free agents left one team to sign for another, they were classified as Type 1 or Type 2 players, solely by the size of their contract with the new team. When a Type 1 player was signed, it the new team gave their 1st round pick to the former team, and the former team got an extra sandwich pick (pick between the 1st and 2nd round). When a type 2 player was signed, the new team gave up their 2nd round pick to the new team. So this was a pretty giant loophole. Where if you lose players, the two teams after profit from it as a whole. The A's had 7 first round picks one year because of this. They were also pretty liberal in what they considered Type 1 players. I'd imagine that our four losses could make cases for being Type 1 equivilents. At least Ellerbe and Kruger, not sure about Reed and C Williams (ignoring the differences in salaries between the 2 sports, speaking in relative terms of coarse).

The new CBA removes the Tier 2 designation, and only has Tier 1 players. Instead of the pick compensation being automatic, it's kind of turned into a hybrid between the franchise tag and the comp system for the NFL. The former team must offer a player the average of the top 125 salaries in the league for one year, about $12 million this off-season. That player had to be on the roster for the entire previous season. The new team gives up their highest available pick, excluding top 10 overall picks, and the former team gets a sandwich pick, not the original team's pick. Not to be confused with the competitive balance lottery picks.
    Actually you did not have to give up a pick for signing a Type B player, the team that lost them just ended up getting a comp pick. Also, the teams with the first 15 picks in the draft had their 1st round pick protected, so if they signed a Type A player, they would then give up their 2nd round pick to the team losing the player.

I'm thinking Ozzie will package 3-4 of the low-round picks for a higher pick (a two or a three?), maybe even trade down from this years' first (last pick in the round so it's practically a second anyway)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)