Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

The Ravens will have a nice stable of interior D-linemen to choose from in the first round if they want one.

A couple of people have mentioned Nix. He's a total stud, but I have a feeling he might be back at South Bend next year.
    I've seen projections that as many as 8 DT/NTs might be first rounders next year, not even including Nix. If we could get either of the LSU DEs (Mingo or Montgomery) late in the first round, I'd be delighted. I think that might be a moderate case of wishful thinking though. Same with having the opportunity to draft Jenkins from Georgia, Hankins from Ohio St, or Lotulelei from Utah. Great thought, but I'm not sure any of that trio would be around in the late first round. Lotulelei next to Ngata would be a devestating wall of Utah muscle.

I think realistic defensive draft targets would be guys like Banks from Mississippi St (doubt we take a CB that high though), Jordan from Oregon, Williams from UNC, or Short from Purdue. I'm super high on Okafor from Texas too.

Don't count out Eric Reid from LSU either. It's not totally out of the realm of sensibility that we'd take a high quality safety since Reed may not be around in 2013.

9 pages! Lots of great info. I hope our personnel and scouts are doing their homework, too.
    Anyway, this could be the most important free agency period for the Ravens in years.
    They need to get Joe's deal done.
    Decide if they will keep Ed or let him go.
    IF they are going to keep him, then get all the deals done before free agency.
    Then they know what they have and how much money.
    Getting some high quality FAs before the draft, IMHO, is THE way to go.
    There are a number of great players in the draft that could fill all the needs the Ravens have.
    But we can't get them all.
    So, free agency might determine how we pick in the draft.
    Get a great DE in FA, then we can focus on ILB, NT and S on the defensive side.
    If we decide to put Ngata back to NT, then we need two DEs.

To me, the biggest need is the front 7, starting upfront.
    BUT, if there was a chance to get Teo, then do something to make that happen.
    And fill a need at DE in free agency.
    That is where it starts.
    Last edited by Ravens44; 11-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.

3. Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

Clowney for South Carolina is very disruptive. I believe he's a sophomore, but he looks like the total package as far as a pass rusher.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    Clowney for South Carolina is very disruptive. I believe he's a sophomore, but he looks like the total package as far as a pass rusher.
    He is going to be a top 3 pick. Baltimore would have to tank or give up the farm to get him.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I watched the Texas A&M vs Alabama game this weekend and I gotta tell you guys, there are some nice players for A&M as well.

Damontre Moore, DE, 6'4" 255lbs
    Sean Porter, LB, 6'2" 230lbs
    Kirby Ennis, DT, 6'4" 300lbs

Aggies have some legit NFL talent.

I would love to see Jake Matthews somehow wind up a Ravens offensive lineman.

Blog Entries

I'm a bigger fan of Luke Joekel tbh. We don't need right tackles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I'm a bigger fan of Luke Joekel tbh. We don't need right tackles.
    I was looking at it from the stance that Matthews probably could play LT, RT, or G...if the coaching staff is hellbent on Oher at LT and KO at RT, then Matthews could be a pretty sick LG.

Blog Entries

Courtney Upshaw seems to be rounding into a nice player. It's a shame Ozzie and Co. have to revisit an area of the team we initially thought was solid (DL), because we need help at IL bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Courtney Upshaw seems to be rounding into a nice player. It's a shame Ozzie and Co. have to revisit an area of the team we initially thought was solid (DL), because we need help at IL bad.
    Yeah, I actually thought DL was sorted before this year started even after losing Redding, not sure if it's a coaching issue, or just the fact that our players aren't up to it, DL is certainly a big need all of a sudden. It's funny how seemingly very strong units suddenly become a weakness because of players regression or how one player leaving can make such a difference, or a change of coach and defensive schemes. Hopefully Cody as Wicked has said in another thread can carry on the level of play against Oakland, and then it may not be as big as need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I was looking at it from the stance that Matthews probably could play LT, RT, or G...if the coaching staff is hellbent on Oher at LT and KO at RT, then Matthews could be a pretty sick LG.
    Oher has probably had his best year as a Raven playing on the left side, but I'm not sure if I am sold on a 6'4 guy playing left tackle with his arm length too. I think Oher can be a pro bowl caliber right tackle, while KO can be a pro bowl guard, so it puts players into their best possible positions. Jake Matthews would be a solid pick though, I really like him as a player, but I'm just not sure if he'd be a left tackle in this league.

Blog Entries

I guess I am just a bit biased when it comes to Jake Matthews. Dude's pops was one of the best offensive lineman to ever play the game, regardless of position. Bruce Matthews was a monster and just absolutely vicious on the OL for the old Oilers and Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I guess I am just a bit biased when it comes to Jake Matthews. Dude's pops was one of the best offensive lineman to ever play the game, regardless of position. Bruce Matthews was a monster and just absolutely vicious on the OL for the old Oilers and Titans.
    You are absolutely not biased. I am 100% confident both Luke Joeckel AND Jake Matthews will be starting LTs in the NFL one day. I would jump for joy if the Ravens drafted either of those guys.

Tyron Smith played RT his entire career at USC, he's starting for the Cowboys at LT today (albeit having a bit of a down year from what I hear.) Just because you play RT in college doesn't mean you can't play LT... and vice versa... just depends on the skill set.

I don't know that OT is DEFINITELY this team's biggest need. Michael Oher has been serviceable and could possibly get better if he had a better OL coach. KO could possibly play LT as well, and Jah Reid has been promising as a LG or RT, which provides good depth.

I'm much more inclined to look at some of the many outstanding defensive players in this year's first few rounds. Our biggest offensive need remains in coaching, not personnel.