Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Steelers woes continue

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    I forgot to.mention that they only have 4 corners as well on the roster. Most teams carry 6 or 7.....for a reason.

Think about that for a hot minute and the disaster that could ensue if one gets hurt in game, or anytime for that matter.

Having a backup safety covering our 3rd WR (or anyone's) would be....interesting to say the least.
    This kind of reminds me of Brian Billicks last season with the Ravens. The Ravens team was so dominate the previous year that they sort of half heartedly had sub-par backups, then the injury bug hit early and often. If this backfires on Tomlin, he may wind up an analyst on some football show next year also.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    This kind of reminds me of Brian Billicks last season with the Ravens. The Ravens team was so dominate the previous year that they sort of half heartedly had sub-par backups, then the injury bug hit early and often. If this backfires on Tomlin, he may wind up an analyst on some football show next year also.
    When pigs start flying maybe....

Blog Entries

Tomlin just received a contract extension this year. 2 years ago he was in the Super Bowl. The Steelers could go 0-16 this season and he wouldn't get fired.

If this backfires on Tomlin, he may wind up an analyst on some football show next year also.
    That's nice wishful thinking, but not at all realistic. Tomlin's won one and lost one Super Bowl in the last four years. He's one of the best coaches in the league. There is no chance Tomlin's fired for anything that happens on the field this year. None.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    That's nice wishful thinking, but not at all realistic. Tomlin's won one and lost one Super Bowl in the last four years. He's one of the best coaches in the league. There is no chance Tomlin's fired for anything that happens on the field this year. None.

- C -
    That may be true especially with the contract extension, but i remember Billick got a big (reportedly 5 year 25 million dollar) contract and 2 yrslater was out of the league.

I am hoping that Tomlin and his team unleash mediocrity ( umm...I mean Hell) like they did a few years back;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    That may be true especially with the contract extension, but i remember Billick got a big (reportedly 5 year 25 million dollar) contract and 2 yrslater was out of the league.

I am hoping that Tomlin and his team unleash mediocrity ( umm...I mean Hell) like they did a few years back;)
    Billick had a very inconsistent career post SB, and failed to install an effective offense in any of his years being here. He was essentially riding our defense, and the talent we had there, plus relying on Jamal Lewis, he also did a terrible job getting the right guy in to play QB for us in all his years here. The Steelers offense in comparison has improved since Tomlin has been in town, and he has done a great job in maintaining the Steelers' success, winning a SB not so long ago, and has only missed the play offs once (with a 9-7 record). It's a totally different situation here, Tomlin is in zero danger of losing his job.

The Steelers had better score some points this year.

Have they found any CBs yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    What's even worse for the Steelers is that their ability to gauge free agent talent is almost nonexistent with them never really picking players up in that fashion. Couple that with a thrifty owner and lack of recent draft success, it's as close to a early curtain call as you can get I feel. Their situation appears dire if they are really going back to running the ball and playing defense per Todd Haley.

LIGHTBULB, I wonder how much of Haley's playcalling that Boldin remembers, especially tendencies from his days in AZ. He may be a great help in the defensive film room the weeks before we play them .
    They evaluate talent just fine. They never really have the need or opportunity to bring in free agents. They have drafted very well and have tied up most of their dollars in their own free agents. Much like the Ravens they lose some good players to other teams for cap reasons.

Much like the Ravens they also make mistakes in the draft. I think they made a mistake with Mike Adams. Kid was a huge under achiever at O$U. They are coming up on the down years for some key defenders and the replacements are average. Similar to what is happening with the Ravens at OLB. Right now there are question marks in regards to the replacement of JJ and Suggs.

I wouldn't call it inconsistent. They had a winning record 70% of the time he was here. His Qb talent mistake was really Boller. He pushed for him, but the team moved on after he made 32 starts. They brought in McNair but who knew his arm would basically fall off and his partying the night before the Colts game cost the Ravens that win and probably another Superbowl. They extreme lack of talent at the WR position really hamstrung this team for a long time. Other than Mason, and Heap, who were these guys supposed to throw to? Never mind the lack of pass blocking from everyone not named Ogden for more than a decade. That being said, if the Steelers were to go 0-16, I doubt Tomlin is going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post
    That's a great post. I can relate..
    I hear that! Love this board, for the simple fact, i live in shitsburgh and have to defend the Ravens 365 days a yr. Got to go to store for milk, defend, work, defend, get gas, defend, Friends, defend. But as of right now, everyone is quiet. Not sure what their team is but it's hurting. I' ll say, Ravens 13-3, Sqeelers 10-6, cincy 9-7, cle 5-11. Pitt will still be a force, but the road to NO is going thru Charm city, and PITT, and NE will be sent back home with a lose and a couple of crabcakes when they visit. But i think we all know, they will be a tough out, as always. Purple Pride!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Tomlin just received a contract extension this year. 2 years ago he was in the Super Bowl. The Steelers could go 0-16 this season and he wouldn't get fired.
    Not to mention he is only the 3rd head coach up there in the last 40 years or so. Yea, tomlins gonna be there for a while.

Blog Entries

When it comes to the Steelers I know 1 thing: As long as Roethlisberger is back there "limping" around in the pocket and outside of the pocket, they will be a team that can put up points and win games. He is - IMO - the best QB in the league after the play breaks down and he's forced to just make something happen. I don't know what kind of offense Todd Haley is going to try and get him to run and it may not suit his best abilities, but what I do know is that #7 has no problem sitting in the pocket and holding onto the ball for far longer than most QB's because he's 250lbs and extremely difficult for 1 defender to bring down consistently. Their defense might not be as stout as it once was, but I'd imagine that they will still be good enough to give Roethlisberger a few chances at a big play here and there during a game and frankly, that's all they need.

I think the biggest weakness with Pittsburgh won't be their OL and it won't be their ground game or passing game. I think their biggest weakness will be their lack of depth in the secondary, but as long as Woodley and Harrison can turn up the heat, it won't matter as much.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.