Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The OT situation

I still say Ozzie can get Saffold.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Well, we at least got our UDFA LT...Rogers Gaines. All things considered, I love that pickup the best. Raw, but BEASTLY measurables. Would love to see what Castillo and Moeller can do with him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This feels like we are tasting the cake before it's baked ....

WNST 6:37pm via Web

Ozzie Newsome on possibly adding a veteran tackle: "We'll have somebody lined up at left tackle." #Ravens

The team is NOT set yet. Give it time, folks.
    Breaking news: Ravens will use 5 offensive lineman. Shocking, thanks for that Oz.

On a serious note, I have confidence in Castillo and KO working together to make him a good LT, but if it comes at the cost of multiple other spots on the line, I can't get behind it. So before they put all their eggs in the KO LT basket they better be sure they have a LG to replace him.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Well, we at least got our UDFA LT...Rogers Gaines. All things considered, I love that pickup the best. Raw, but BEASTLY measurables. Would love to see what Castillo and Moeller can do with him.
    moeller can prob take him to a good bar

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    moeller can prob take him to a good bar
    Lmao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Well, I don't want Oher at LT, so it'd be McKinnie or Starks. I like Winston though.
    Well if RavensScallywag doesnt want it...

:)

The sum is greater than the individual parts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

We should keep Juan Castillo in mind as well. No one outside the team really knows what sort of possibilities he sees in the marginal guys already on the roster (Reid & Harewood, but also Jack Cornell, David Mims, & Antoine McClain), not to mention Wagner & Gaines who were just drafted/signed. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the website roster lists KO, Yanda & Cornell as "G/T" but McClain, Mims, Reid & Harewood as "T". Does Castillo think he can shazaam the pride of Barbados into an NFL-starting-caliber LT? If he can pull that off we should start calling him El Brujo...

Far as the draft is concerned you do not use a draft pick on a developmental guy (all thats left at LT after 3rd round) unless you feel reasonably confident he can unseat the developmental guys you have for a roster or PS spot.

I think taking the FB in the draft gives Ozzie some options if he needs the money to sign a LT be it McKinnie/Starks or someone else via trade. I like what the sword suggested above...Roger Saffold. The guy is not a rock star LT but he is pretty solid and rather consistent IMO. Rams may not want to part with him but if they were willing he would be a great add
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well if RavensScallywag doesnt want it...

:)

The sum is greater than the individual parts.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Oher should be the LT.

And watch about 500 people screaming WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? behind me...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

IMHO...I hate everything about KO at LT.

I realize we may have no choice, but I think you are taking a potential all-pro at guard and putting him somewhere that isn't a natural spot for him.

It reminds me of when we had to play Yanda at RT. He didn't embarrass himself, but it was clear that he was much, much better inside.

I am not confident that a guy who was ok...just ok at the easier OT spot is going to be able to be a good LT.

We have the makings of a very dominant interior OL...not so much if he moves.

We'll see, but I'm not confident.

Personally, I hope McKinnie comes back to give us one more year to find a real LT.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I realize we may have no choice, but I think you are taking a potential all-pro at guard and putting him somewhere that isn't a natural spot for him.

It reminds me of when we had to play Yanda at RT. He didn't embarrass himself, but it was clear that he was much, much better inside.

I am not confident that a guy who was ok...just ok at the easier OT spot is going to be able to be a good LT.

Personally, I hope McKinnie comes back to give us one more year to find a real LT.

McKinnie is the obvious solution. Starks is not as good but he's got his head on straight and he's reliable. Something could be worked out for Brendan Albert, I don't think it would take 10m to sign him. He's 28 and I think they could structure a 3 to 4 year deal that is more cap friendly. I think the 3m that can be saved by cutting Leach is money needed for a LT.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 04-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

i think moving oher hurts our offense in 3 ways:
    1) oher is not a good left tackle
    2) if KO is moved to RT he is better at LG than RT so thats a downgrade
    3) most likely we will have to keep a rb/fb/te in the backfield to help oher on some plays and they cant go out on routes

sign big mac and try to draft a LT next year or mb one of the guys we have now works out