Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Remember how everyone screamed when a 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs a couple of years ago? Imagine that almost every year. Last year for example there were 6 AFC and 6 NFC teams with winning records. More spots means setting things up for .500 or losing teams to make the playoffs.
    The issue most had was the Seattle was hosting a playoff game with a 10-6 New Orleans team, not that Seattle was in the playoffs.

Seattle won their division which not only gets you into the playoffs but guarantees at least the 4 seed and a home game.

IMO they need to tweak it so that division winners do get into the playoffs (if they don't then there is no point in having divisions) but the 6 teams from each conference are seeded based on record.

That puts more value on the regular season and rewards teams (for this example the 10-6 Saints) for their play in the regular season.

Seattle is one hell of a place to play and New Orleans felt the wrath of Lynch.

As far as the thread topic.

Leave it alone.

PP

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    IMO they need to tweak it so that division winners do get into the playoffs (if they don't then there is no point in having divisions) but the 6 teams from each conference are seeded based on record.

That puts more value on the regular season and rewards teams (for this example the 10-6 Saints) for their play in the regular season.
    Then you're penalizing teams for playing in a really tough division (where the teams routinely beat up on one another) or playing a particularly tough extra-divisional schedule compared with other teams in the same conference. And you're also telling two teams in the same division with very good records that jockeying for the division championship isn't worth much. There's a downside to nearly every alternative that's been proposed.
    As far as the thread topic.

Leave it alone.
    The NFL scheduling & playoff arrangements are IMHO about as perfect as system as can be devised. Thirteen games in & look how many teams are still alive for playoff spots or jockeying for higher seeding that is actually worth something. The problem (if you can call it that) is it requires 32 teams in 2 conferences of 4 divisions each playing 16 games apiece--you can't mess with any of those factors without upsetting the applecart.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Then you're penalizing teams for playing in a really tough division (where the teams routinely beat up on one another) or playing a particularly tough extra-divisional schedule compared with other teams in the same conference. And you're also telling two teams in the same division with very good records that jockeying for the division championship isn't worth much. There's a downside to nearly every alternative that's been proposed..
    I still think it beats the current system.

Winning the division should only guarantee a playoff spot, not a home playoff game IMO.

Either way, you gotta have division winners in the playoffs no matter what their record is.

PP

Goodell is an ass imo.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Remember how everyone screamed when a 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs a couple of years ago? Imagine that almost every year. Last year for example there were 6 AFC and 6 NFC teams with winning records. More spots means setting things up for .500 or losing teams to make the playoffs.
    While this is true, you're only looking at the Seahawk side of it. The flip side is the teams like the 2008 Pats (11-5) and the 2010 Bucs (10-6) couldn't get in.

That was particularly hard to swallow in 2010. The Seahawks were a bad team that won a bad division. I'll concede that winning the division makes them a playoff team, but making a 10-6 team sit at home while a 7-9 division winner in name only got a home playoff game? Particularly when the 10-6 team crushed the 7-9 team in week 16 that season?

If that happened to the Ravens this board (among others) would melt, and rightfully so. If adding two teams to the mix can prevent that from happening again, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    While this is true, you're only looking at the Seahawk side of it. The flip side is the teams like the 2008 Pats (11-5) and the 2010 Bucs (10-6) couldn't get in.

That was particularly hard to swallow in 2010. The Seahawks were a bad team that won a bad division. I'll concede that winning the division makes them a playoff team, but making a 10-6 team sit at home while a 7-9 division winner in name only got a home playoff game? Particularly when the 10-6 team crushed the 7-9 team in week 16 that season?

If that happened to the Ravens this board (among others) would melt, and rightfully so. If adding two teams to the mix can prevent that from happening again, I'm all for it.
    You need to win your division. Making HALF the NFL teams make the playoffs is stupid, make the regular season more boring than already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    You need to win your division. Making HALF the NFL teams make the playoffs is stupid, make the regular season more boring than already is.
    By that line of reasoning, why have wild cards?

If the regular season is boring you, I'd suggest you stop watching it...

8. Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

If it ain't broke...

Blog Entries

Winning the division should only guarantee a playoff spot, not a home playoff game IMO.

Either way, you gotta have division winners in the playoffs no matter what their record is.

PP
    I agree with this.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

PP
    The whole point having divisions is to create rivals and the reward of a home playoff game. Take away the reward for winning the division, then the NFL should do away with divisions and the top 6 teams in each conference go to the playoffs.

Personally I would like to see them eliminate inter conference play and add more games in the division.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Against expanding playoffs anymore. What we have today is just marginal.

I would rather see the 17 game schedule with neutral sites for one game, and two bye weeks.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    By that line of reasoning, why have wild cards?

If the regular season is boring you, I'd suggest you stop watching it...
    You need to be rewarded for winning your division, that being a HOME game. Having 2 WC's balances the playoffs to 6 teams. WC weekend where WC travels to seed 3 and 4. A pretty big disavantage. A WC team has to win 3 consecutive road playoff games, a tough act to do, but it has been done. Teams should be rewarded or having thier seeding determined by having best record AND winning your division. Lets not make this the NBA, which barely gets watched til the playoffs.