Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    He's too heavy. He needs to drop some weight and play around 260-265. Not 275ish. He isnt a quick twitch guy anyway. Strong as hell, but he doesnt have quick feet and burst, so playing at a lighter weight could really be beneficial for him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Upshaw might not be starter

With his body and size 265-270 should be about right. He played about 280-285 at Bama and for LBs and DL there is always a transition in playing weight from College to Pros. He is in great shape, just not at the weight that would make him a star in our system but time will fix that. His injury is already healing, now its just about getting to the weight the coaches want and getting reps.

Blog Entries

Thing is, no one could stop him in college, he was too strong for tackles, even in the SEC conference. He just can't get away with that in the NFL, he needs to get more explosive off the edge to make a difference, otherwise he's just never going to be a great pass rusher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't think his work ethic is the question. It is his lack of knowledge, of how to manage his body at the NFL level. The guy is naturally strong and naturally big. You don't just show up to a professional league with that type of knowledge. Suggs didn't and neither did Haloti Ngata. it takes time to figure that out. The issue is not that he is out of shape. It is that he is around his college playing weight and the coaching staff wants him at a different one. He is still in shape though.
    he ballooned up in between the combine and his pro day, and only recently got down to what his playing weight at college was, which is about 9 lbs heavier than the team aants him at. Thats the questions i have, it shouldnt have taken him that long to get back.down to where he was used to being. The extra 10, yeah i can see your point but he should have never ballooned up to begin with. It was an odd move at the time and apparently its still effecting him by getting where the team wants him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    he ballooned up in between the combine and his pro day, and only recently got down to what his playing weight at college was, which is about 9 lbs heavier than the team aants him at. Thats the questions i have, it shouldnt have taken him that long to get back.down to where he was used to being. The extra 10, yeah i can see your point but he should have never ballooned up to begin with. It was an odd move at the time and apparently its still effecting him by getting where the team wants him.
    I too have some questions my self. I mean he was the MVP in the BCS bowl and recorded like two sacks. You kind of expect him to at least have some explosion off the edge, and yes it's just one game, but he didn't look explosive at all in the Lions game, he was pretty good at bullrushing though.

Upshaw hasn't been known for work ethic issues, and getting lazy, especially coming from a team like Alabama. So my guess is that he thought he had to report to camp as big as he could get, but failed to realise that you really don't have to be that big to be a pass rusher in this league nowadays.

Blog Entries

The thing with Upshaw is that he is a thick dude. He's got huge arms, chest, and shoulders...he's built like a 6'2" tank.

He probably carries a lot of water weight naturally since he has so much dense muscle mass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I too have some questions my self. I mean he was the MVP in the BCS bowl and recorded like two sacks. You kind of expect him to at least have some explosion off the edge, and yes it's just one game, but he didn't look explosive at all in the Lions game, he was pretty good at bullrushing though.

Upshaw hasn't been known for work ethic issues, and getting lazy, especially coming from a team like Alabama. So my guess is that he thought he had to report to camp as big as he could get, but failed to realise that you really don't have to be that big to be a pass rusher in this league nowadays.
    Seeing him on tape that was my biggest issue with the guy. his pass rushing repertoire was pretty basic, really all he did was bull rush. he out muscled guys effectively in college, but that just isnt going to happen in the NFL. Hes not quick twitch like Wicked, Myself and others have noted so he really needs to work on techniques. not saying it wont happen, but this year i think hes going to be very average at best. the weight loss will help in that area as well as being a little lighter on his feet in coverage. He should do well against the run, and i think thats the role he should have on this team.

Im not trying to say the guy isnt trying or doesnt have heart, not my intention. Im just saying those were unquestionable things coming out, but now it at least raises a debate on whether or not he does for those reasons.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Seeing him on tape that was my biggest issue with the guy. his pass rushing repertoire was pretty basic, really all he did was bull rush. he out muscled guys effectively in college, but that just isnt going to happen in the NFL. Hes not quick twitch like Wicked, Myself and others have noted so he really needs to work on techniques. not saying it wont happen, but this year i think hes going to be very average at best. the weight loss will help in that area as well as being a little lighter on his feet in coverage. He should do well against the run, and i think thats the role he should have on this team.

Im not trying to say the guy isnt trying or doesnt have heart, not my intention. Im just saying those were unquestionable things coming out, but now it at least raises a debate on whether or not he does for those reasons.
    Exactly and honestly, it'll come working with guys like Suggs and Kruger because I'd argue that those guys aren't exactly "quick twitch" athletes either.

When I say quick twitch I'm talking about guys like McPhee, Freeney, JJ Watt, Brooks Reed...those guys just have an initial burst and 1st step that is hard to match up against. They're already in motion before the offensive lineman is even out of his stance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Exactly and honestly, it'll come working with guys like Suggs and Kruger because I'd argue that those guys aren't exactly "quick twitch" athletes either.

When I say quick twitch I'm talking about guys like McPhee, Freeney, JJ Watt, Brooks Reed...those guys just have an initial burst and 1st step that is hard to match up against. They're already in motion before the offensive lineman is even out of his stance.
    i think Suggs is borderline quick twitch, he has a decent first step, its not elite but i do think hes pretty quick from time to time, otherwise i agree. I actually see a lot of Kruger in Upshaw, some i think took that as a slight against him but i think Krugers a decent player. I think theyre similar players/builds, both are kind of stiffer. Kruger had a little bit more as a pass rusher coming out, but lacked the run stuffing that Upshaw has, so pretty much opposite skill sets. now youre seeing a more complete player and i think thats just as possible with Upshaw. however pass rushing seems to be a harder thing to learn or adapt in the NFL, so it may take him a little longer, but he does have guys here that can teach him that.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Kruger didn't have the same build as Upshaw coming out of Utah, he was a tall and slightly lanky DE. Upshaw is a short guy with a tremendous amount of strength, but was not as refined as Kruger was as a pass rusher. Kruger is a high motor guy who isn't fast twitch, but can get to the QB better than Upshaw can. Upshaw is built in a similar way to Lamar Woodley, but can he ever be as good as Woodley? I don't think so, but they are similar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Kruger didn't have the same build as Upshaw coming out of Utah, he was a tall and slightly lanky DE. Upshaw is a short guy with a tremendous amount of strength, but was not as refined as Kruger was as a pass rusher. Kruger is a high motor guy who isn't fast twitch, but can get to the QB better than Upshaw can. Upshaw is built in a similar way to Lamar Woodley, but can he ever be as good as Woodley? I don't think so, but they are similar.
    2 inches and 10lbs separate the 3 (woodley 6'-2 265, Kruger 6'-4 265, Upshaw 6'-2 275) but i always thought Kruger seemed more stocky and didnt realize he was 6'-4. Maybe its just an optical illusion or he just plays lower? whatever the case i dont think theyre that far apart physically.
    -JAB

Upshaw can be as good as Woodley, he just needs time. Woodley did not come out and have a lights out year when he was a rookie and he was a 1st round talant who fell to the 2nd like upshaw.

He NEEDS to drop some weight to build the speed to go with the bullrush. I am not saying he needs to get around the LTs or RTs but needs to be able to be fast and strong enough to push them all the way back. and to do that he needs to drop 10 lbs. Notice Woodley is not a speed rusher he reliys on bullrushing with speed.

He is not lazy and just reported at his playing weight he has more than enough time to at least get to 270 but it takes practice to learn the NFL style of bullrushing and pass rushing before he can be a star. I belive he will make an impact but not more than 6-7 sacks.

Remember he just played his first game after missing most of camp and was hesitant, if he was not hesitant maybe he could have gotten the sack?