Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowboys News

Cowboys News

Pac Man is out ....

Roy Williams is in ....

Thoughts?

Re: Cowboys News

I posted this on the Roy Williams thread.

Might as well post it here.

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones has been suspended indefinitely for his latest violation of the NFL’s personal-conduct policy.

Jones will be suspended without pay and will miss at least four games. After that, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will make a determination as to whether Jones deserves reinstatement.

The earliest Jones could play again is the Cowboys’ November 23 game against the San Francisco 49ers.

The NFL found that Jones was involved in an alcohol-related physical altercation and had therefore violated the terms of his reinstatement, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported.

The suspension is the latest piece of bad news in a terrible week for the Cowboys.

One piece of good news for Dallas: Ed Werder of ESPN reports that as a result of the suspension, the Cowboys will not have to send a sixth-round draft pick to the Tennessee Titans, and the Titans will have to send the Cowboys a fifth-round pick.

Wow, the Titans must be thrilled.

Also, here's a little info on the Roy Williams trade.

The Detroit Lions have traded wide receiver Roy Williams to the Dallas Cowboys.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the trade was made today, just before the NFL trade deadline.

It is not clear exactly what compensation the Lions got from the Cowboys, but Schefter reported that Detroit received “at least one first-round pick.”

Seems to me Jerry Jones made this move for many reasons. Sure, Williams is good but it seems to me a move like this takes the focus away from Pacman and the fact that Romo is out for 4 weeks. He needed something positive for ESPN to talk about for a few days.

PP

My immediate thought was T.O.

This has got to be a slap in the face to him and a warning he better chill out or he gets the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    My immediate thought was T.O.

This has got to be a slap in the face to him and a warning he better chill out or he gets the boot.
    TO is just another factor in what is going to be a circus IMO. What if Brad Johnson develops a nice little relationship with Williams. The flip side is that Williams will definitely take the defenses focus off TO somewhat. D-coordinators will not be able to simply focus on shutting down TO now. If they can hold tight until Romo gets back, a TO/Williams/Witten trio is pretty scary.

I don't think TO gets the boot either way though. He just signed that monster extension and Williams is a free agent at the end of the year.

This move clearly looks desperate but could pay off.

PP

The Dallas Cowboys acquired wide receiver Roy Williams from the Detroit Lions on Tuesday.

Williams' last three seasons

Since making the Pro Bowl in 2006, his third NFL season, Roy Williams has seen his production decline considerably.
    Rec PG Rec yds PG
    2008 3.4 46.4
    2007 5.3 69.8
    2006 5.1 81.9

The Cowboys will give up a first-round pick in 2009, plus a third- and sixth-rounder that year for Williams and a seventh-round pick in '09.

The Cowboys are also trying to negotitate a long-term deal with Williams before completing the deal. Williams has expressed unhappiness playing for the winless Lions and can become a free agent after the season unless the team places the franchise tag on him.

4 picks for him.

PP

This is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the fuck do the Cowboys even have the cap space to add a Roy Williams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, what happened to the no tolerance ruling on Pacman Jones????????? If he made the news with an altercation AND consumed alcohol, why is he even being considered for reinstatement???????????

This smells so bad I can't stand it!

1. Since the terms have not been released, we have no idea what cap hit (if any) he poses.

2. Pac Man was suspended for 4 games, but that's just until the commish gives his final ruling the week of the Cowboys v. Redskins game.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    1. Since the terms have not been released, we have no idea what cap hit (if any) he poses.

2. Pac Man was suspended for 4 games, but that's just until the commish gives his final ruling the week of the Cowboys v. Redskins game.
    IIRC the cap hit means zero to the Cowboys. A team can go over the cap during the season. They just have to be under by a certain date in the offseason. Someone like BmoreRavor could clarify.

He signed a 6 year deal in 04 with 2009 being voidable. His base salary this season is 574,000. Some portion of his bonus will count towards what his cap hit was this year. It's not huge either way.

PP

The cap is a sham. I would have given up a 1st and 3rd to be able to franchise him 3 years in a row if I had to, but not 4 picks even if I had gotten a long term deal in place. This seems a little herchel Walkerish or Ricky Williams.

I have a feeling the Boys are going to fall apart and those picks are going to be a lot higher than they anticipated. The O was already good, the Boys were getting worked on defense and protecting the QB. Williams is a great player, but he did not help the Lions play defense or block for the QB either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The cap is a sham. I would have given up a 1st and 3rd to be able to franchise him 3 years in a row if I had to, but not 4 picks even if I had gotten a long term deal in place. This seems a little herchel Walkerish or Ricky Williams.

I have a feeling the Boys are going to fall apart and those picks are going to be a lot higher than they anticipated. The O was already good, the Boys were getting worked on defense and protecting the QB. Williams is a great player, but he did not help the Lions play defense or block for the QB either.
    I actually misread the story.

The Cowboys gave up a 1st, 3rd and 6th in return for Williams and a 7th rounder from the Lions.

So they gave up 3 picks for Williams and a pick.

Dude is gonna hit the FA market. This team isn't in the position to give up 3 picks for a guy who might walk at the end of the year. Instead, we should give him a call when he becomes a FA, not spend any picks, and see if we can sign him.

As far as franchising him 3 years in a row. You do realize that every year you franchise a guy you add 20% to his salary. The WR franchise # for 2008 is 7.8 million. Figure that goes up a bit next year. Let's say it's 8 million. In 2010 if you tag the guy again it goes up to 9.6 million. 2011 would be 11.52 million. You think Roy Williams is worth that cake?

And if you're willing to give up a 1st and 3rd for him, I find it curious that you would nix it if it cost an additional 6th and 7th.

PP

My guess is that T.O. broke a few chairs and vases in his condo when he heard this news.

This is a slap in the face to him (at least he'll think so). And it will mean fewer balls thrown his way. Hell, he got the ball 21 times a couple weeks ago and was STILL bitching about not getting the damn ball after the game.

Between this, the Pac Man circus and TO whining, not to mention the Redskins and Cardinals fiascoes and the fact that Wade Phillips is just warming the seat for Garrett, I see this team imploding.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    My guess is that T.O. broke a few chairs and vases in his condo when he heard this news.

This is a slap in the face to him (at least he'll think so). And it will mean fewer balls thrown his way. Hell, he got the ball 21 times a couple weeks ago and was STILL bitching about not getting the damn ball after the game.

Between this, the Pac Man circus and TO whining, not to mention the Redskins and Cardinals fiascoes and the fact that Wade Phillips is just warming the seat for Garrett, I see this team imploding.
    According to Jerry Jones, TO is the happiest camper of the bunch after hearing the news.

We'll see about that. Like I said before, if he's smart he'll shut up and let Williams take some heat off of him and his production will increase. Of course, he's never learned to just shut up and play.

PP