Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Pistol Offense, a Fad or Here to Stay?

Much has been made about the pistol and it reminds me a lot of the Wildcat a few years ago. Personally, I don't see it as a long term trend in the league. While effective, the quarterback is exposed to punishment. Kaepernick, Wilson and RG3 have been effective, but they all have the arm strength to be effective pocket passers too. Vick is sort of a model of a running quarterback prior to this year and he has been plagued by injuries. While RG3 had a great rookie campaign he suffered a serious injury that may effect his future mobility. I think all of these guys can have a good career, but I don't think it will last if they keep running.

Believe we already have an open thread on this.

It's not an "offense". It's a formation. And can and has been easily beaten by disciplined D line play and stuffing the exchange.

Re: The Pistol Offense, a Fad or Here to Stay?

Missed that thread/discussion.

Blog Entries

No QB is going to stay healthy long enough for it to be more than a 'fad'. I remember when the Wildcat was the craze and the Ravens didn't even seemed phased by it. Everybody was wondering how they would stop it and they crushed it during the regular season, before crushing it again in the playoffs. Miami barely tried it after the first quarter. Ray told the commentators before the game, you just stay in your lane and attack it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Depends on what you mean.

The pistol formation...well, that's just a formation. So, yes, I can see that being here to stay. It is basically a shallow shot-gun formation.

Now, if you're talking about the zone-read offense with QB's like Kaepernick, RGIII, Cam Newton, etc...I think those offensive plays will be a fad more than anything because defenses will only evolve to defend those types of plays and players.

That is why even though mobile QB's will be in hot demand, if they can't throw the ball then they're pretty useless.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Depends on what you mean.

The pistol formation...well, that's just a formation. So, yes, I can see that being here to stay. It is basically a shallow shot-gun formation.

Now, if you're talking about the zone-read offense with QB's like Kaepernick, RGIII, Cam Newton, etc...I think those offensive plays will be a fad more than anything because defenses will only evolve to defend those types of plays and players.

That is why even though mobile QB's will be in hot demand, if they can't throw the ball then they're pretty useless.
    Cam Newton is also the only one of those guys with the body to take those kinds of hits over a long period of time. That's why he was so special coming out of college. He's really like Mike Vick but at 250 pounds.

Blog Entries

If you think about it, and all of the credit Chris Ault is getting for inventing the pistol offense / formation, it's really so simple. All he did was ask the QB to move up a couple steps. That's it.

They're running the zone/read and that has found it's place in the NFL I believe. With Seattle, Washington, 9ers and now likely Philly there will be teams running it. The answer should be 'hit the QB over and over' just like Auburn did to Tebow in the National Championship. Kill the head (apologies to greg Williams) ;)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Kap isn't small. 6'4 and a solid 235.

The problem with all running QBs is that unless it's a designed run, they run high because even while scrambling they're looking downfield.

Running high is a good way to get yourself WRECKED in the NFL.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

One thing I heard Pat Kirwan say yesterday. He broke down every play of Kaepernick's games and when he pulls the ball out of the belly of the RB and looks to throw, he is always going to throw in the direction he is facing.

So if the RB goes by to his left, he sticks the ball in the bell then pulls it out, he's throwing left 100% of the time. He said the Ravens should cheat to that side until he shows them he can spin and throw it the other way.

Just something else to watch on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Kap isn't small. 6'4 and a solid 235.

The problem with all running QBs is that unless it's a designed run, they run high because even while scrambling they're looking downfield.

Running high is a good way to get yourself WRECKED in the NFL.
    What I have been sayin' all week about Kaep, he runs like a sprinter really high...
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I'd also like to see them design a run blitz that gives him the look that he should pull the ball out and run to the edge, only to have Pollard or Ellerbe come crashing down on the corner on a delayed blitz to see if we can rattle his teeth a little.

You never have more freedom to hit a QB than when he's a runner and I'm willing to give up two or three 8-10 yard QB runs early if we end each of them with a bone crusher.

Take the vinegar right out of him.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

^agreed; it would even be worth risking a penalty if they could rattle him good early in the game.