Blog Entries

Re: Schefter: Caldwell to be Ravens QB coach

Not surprised. Caldwell was on Ozzie's list for head coaches when HARBs
    won out.

There's the good ole boy connection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    Very nice.. Hopefully the Cam detractors see this as a Positive.

This is very good news, just Teach everything he got from Peyton to Joe.
    Like his quick release.

Bit of a surprise, but a nice addition, if it pans out. I guess the Steelers interview didn't go well? (Probably best, you wouldn't want to wake up to find you had 'concussion like symptoms' or you'd been retired without you knowing - though, for them, it probably just means they promote Fichtner)

Blog Entries

I'm not sure which part is better. Getting him to come here or getting him to choose us over the Steelers.

Would be a great hire. Definitiley has shades of Dean Pees being hired as LB coach two years ago, except instead of doing it as insurance in case our DC left, this would be a guy who could easily move to OC if Cam gets let go.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm not sure which part is better. Getting him to come here or getting him to choose us over the Steelers.

Would be a great hire. Definitiley has shades of Dean Pees being hired as LB coach two years ago, except instead of doing it as insurance in case our DC left, this would be a guy who could easily move to OC if Cam gets let go.
    While a great point, there are a couple of issues:

- Caldwell has never been an OC. He's either been a positional coach (QB or WR) or he's been a HC (with questionable results)

- Caldwell's of the 'if the pass fails, pass some more' school of thought (with Colts and Wake Forest). The Ravens like to have a balanced attack with a potent running game. I'm not sure that's a good fit.

Blog Entries

He's another guy with head coaching experience and that's great. Pees
    was a head coach in college. Cald comes straight from NFL head coaching
    ranks. That's a lot of experience for HARBs to draw from.

This is like getting Zorn back, another former head coach when he came
    here.

Of course, the biggest question is how CAM uses him. He's still the boss
    on offense and didn't like Zorn lurking over his shoulder and getting close to Joe. Will he resent Caldwell? Just asking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    While a great point, there are a couple of issues:

- Caldwell has never been an OC. He's either been a positional coach (QB or WR) or he's been a HC (with questionable results)

- Caldwell's of the 'if the pass fails, pass some more' school of thought (with Colts and Wake Forest). The Ravens like to have a balanced attack with a potent running game. I'm not sure that's a good fit.

Caldwell seems to be a lot like Joe. Kind of quiet, less emotional. I don't think you want a fire breathing, ranting lunatic. You want calm and composed as a QB coach, which I believe Caldwell is. I am not expecting Joe to become the second coming of Peyton, but I do believe a coach like Caldwell can maximize Joe's potential, and put pressure on Cam to bring the offense into the twenty first century.

I think this is a great hire. (I also think he will figure out what to do with Ray Rice).

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    [/B]

Caldwell seems to be a lot like Joe. Kind of quiet, less emotional. I don't think you want a fire breathing, ranting lunatic. You want calm and composed as a QB coach, which I believe Caldwell is. I am not expecting Joe to become the second coming of Peyton, but I do believe a coach like Caldwell can maximize Joe's potential, and put pressure on Cam to bring the offense into the twenty first century.

I think this is a great hire. (I also think he will figure out what to do with Ray Rice).
    As a QB coach, it's a nice addition as I said above. I just have questions if he ever becomes OC as it was speculated later down the line should things go awry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    As a QB coach, it's a nice addition as I said above. I just have questions if he ever becomes OC as it was speculated later down the line should things go awry.

I guess we will find out whether it is the system, or if Peyton is just that good.

Blog Entries

I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here...

As you pointed out, he's never been an OC. So do we really know that he'd be a pass, pass, pass kind've guy? In Indy, he's never had a great rushing game to work with. Here, he could adapt his style a bit more, knowing that we have the pieces to run a more effective running game. There's a difference between running the offense as a HC and running it as an OC, i think.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here...

As you pointed out, he's never been an OC. So do we really know that he'd be a pass, pass, pass kind've guy? In Indy, he's never had a great rushing game to work with. Here, he could adapt his style a bit more, knowing that we have the pieces to run a more effective running game. There's a difference between running the offense as a HC and running it as an OC, i think.
    Just keep in mind we really don't know that he is coming here to be the eventual OC. All we need him to be is a guy to keep Cam in check and help Joe progress.

Blog Entries

Holy shit! This is fantastic news!

Last I read on Caldwell was he was heading to Pittsburgh to be the OC there. Saying a lot that he's choosing to come here to be the QB's coach...I guess Pittsburgh didn't offer him a contract or something, but let me think that he chose here instead. :D
    Wow. This makes me really excited.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 01-30-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.