Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 4 players fined for Monday's game!

Again, Im in the minority here ....

First, there was nothing "grey" about the penalties. Our team, like they have been doing it since the Detroit meltdown, kill themselves with penalties, fines, etc. There was nothing "grey" about the hold (he was 10+ yards downfield and had an arm draped all over the receiver) or the TD (fingertips have always been posession -- hell, Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss have made a career of fingertip catches).

The fines are consistant with with past players and coaches and are deserved. If you speak out and its recorded you get fined per incident. I know of at least two times Mason and Rolle publicly gave their distain to the officiating crew.

Seriously folks, until people stop looking our beloved team with purple glasses and start demanding we have a well-disciplined team, nothing is going to change.

We DID have a meltdown. It's so much easier to blame the boogy man for your misgivings. It's long about time we man up, take a long look in the mirror and demand more from our team.

2. Re: 4 players fined for Monday's game!

These refs are full of you know what and the league is too. It is interesting that Harrison is fined 5k for unsportsman like conduct but he was not FLAGGED for it during the game. Whatever.

How much did the Ref's get fined?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Ultimately no one knows what the Ref exactly said to rolle and vice-versa. The players were penalized financially for breaking league rules. You do not have to like it, but it is over and done with. Now maybe our guys can focus on playing a hard game against the colts. This topic is stale.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Again, Im in the minority here ....

First, there was nothing "grey" about the penalties.
    The incidents I mentioned were cetainly grey. Grey in the sense that they could have gone either way and been okay calls. I am not saying they were wrong the way they were decided but if they were called the other way, there would have been just as much justification. I am not suggesting a conspiracy or any premeditaion at all. It just that this is the way the Ravens season has gone. Ambiguity went the way of the Pats there at the end and as a result they got the "W".

Blog Entries

The NFL made a fortune off this game...25k from Scott, 15k each from Rolle, McAlister, and Mason, and now 5k from Rodney Harrison, for taunting, causing Billick's Kissy-Face reaction.

So, off fines alone, $75,000...IN ONE GAME!

Speaking of money, that game was the most watch show ever in Cable TV history ....

If you think our reputation was bad before this game, a total of 17.5 million people saw just how undisciplined we are. :(

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    If you think our reputation was bad before this game, a total of 17.5 million people saw just how undisciplined we are. :(
    Will you get over it, Houston -- stop assuming you know what 17.5 million people thought about the game. There is a possibility that several million of those people thought something along the lines of "Hey, that was the best MNF game I've seen in years, right down to the wire," not "The Ravens are undisciplined."

I understand your point of view on this subject but get off the soapbox, this has been discussed all week long.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I understand your point of view on this subject but get off the soapbox, this has been discussed all week long.
    Simma! I'm the only one on our teams back about this? You act like I am the only one! :insane:

Simma! I'm the only one on our teams back about this? You act like I am the only one!
    No, you are definitely not alone; I don't even disagree with there being a problem with a lack of discipline, I guess I'm just tired of hearing about it.

But implying that a worldwide audience is going to come away from this game hating the Ravens is going a bit too far, IMO. In spite of the fourth quarter meltdown, I think a lot of fans were probably impressed with the effort, seeing as how we were 20 point underdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    No, you are definitely not alone; I don't even disagree with there being a problem with a lack of discipline, I guess I'm just tired of hearing about it.

But implying that a worldwide audience is going to come away from this game hating the Ravens is going a bit too far, IMO. In spite of the fourth quarter meltdown, I think a lot of fans were probably impressed with the effort, seeing as how we were 20 point underdogs.
    I hear ya and, in spite of my harsh words towards the team, Im as frustrated with everything as you are.

My perspective is a bit unique since I travel pretty much the entire western half of the US -- and Im visible with my support, wearing my Ravens gear whenever I can. The one thing I hear is universal is about our reputation.

It pisses me off to no end, for sure. But sometimes, like after Monday night, I cant defend it and that more than anything gets under my skin.

:(

My perspective is a bit unique since I travel pretty much the entire western half of the US -- and Im visible with my support, wearing my Ravens gear whenever I can. The one thing I hear is universal is about our reputation.
    I can certainly understand that perspective, and kudos to you for wearing your Ravens gear everywhere.

This was just such an interesting game, on so many levels, that even five days later I haven't sorted it all out myself. It's impossible for me to be objective about it but I've heard several people this week say it was the most entertaining game they've seen all year. Some of them were Ravens fans, of course, but some of them were pretty neutral, just fans watching a MNF game, and they seem to think it was great theatre. It did go down to the wire, after all, and that is what I think most people took away from it, not Bart Scott's meltdown. An undefeated team coming from behind with less than a minute left to pull out a win, and the penalites and controversy probably just added to the drama.

As I think I said on another thread, I agree our players do too much yapping, but this game was so different (I'm referring to the official's trash talking) that I feel like giving the players a pass, except Scott, who clearly hurt the team with his fit.

We were SO CLOSE to winning this game, which would have been the upset of the year, that I'm still cranky about it. Sorry if I sounded touchy earlier.