Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LaQuan Williams and Nigel Carr looking good at camp (for what it's worth)

You can't take much from OTA's but I'm hearings good things about both these guys. If we continue to here good things in minicamp and training camp, then maybe there's something to it.

LaQuan Williams
    From Aaron Wilson:
    "Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron praised wide receivers LaQuan Williams and Tandon Doss. In particular, Williams had a sharp practice."

From www.BaltimoreRavens.com:
    "Second-year receiver LaQuan Williams, who believes he is still fighting for a roster spot after becoming the Ravens’ Cinderella story last year, reportedly had one of the highlights of the day with a beautiful catch on a fade in the corner of the end zone and a one-handed snag on a laser over the middle.

The former undrafted free agent was even making plays against Lardarius Webb, beating the Ravens top corner along the sidelines on more than one occasion, according to The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
    "

I know some of the drills they run will favor the offense, but it's encouraging to hear that he was able to make some plays against Webb.

They also shared some tweets in the same column:
    - “LaQuan Williams has amazing hands,” wrote WBAL’s Gerry Sandusky.
    - “Jacoby Jones had a rough day as far as catching the football,” added RavensInsider Aaron Wilson. “In contrast, LaQuan Williams looked very sharp.

It will be interesting to see if he can overtake Jacoby Jones for the #3 receiver spot. I keep reading about dropped passes from Jones.

Nigel Carr
    Apparently he's an undrafted free agent LB out of Alabama State. Not as much to read about, but he was mentioned in the Ravens "OTA #5 quick hits" column here on Ravens 24x7 and Glenn Younes was singing his praises yesterday evening on The Fan. Maybe another undrafted LB success story? This would be a great time for it with the injuries at OLB, Ray getting way up there. Anyone know if he projects as an ILB or OLB? He's just listed as LB on the team's site.

Edit:
    Should have said looking good at OTA's in the title.

Re: LaQuan Williams and Nigel Carr looking good at camp (for what it's worth)

Carr played at Florida State so he definitely possesses the talent

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    LaQuan Williams
    From Aaron Wilson:
    "Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron praised wide receivers LaQuan Williams and Tandon Doss. In particular, Williams had a sharp practice."

From www.BaltimoreRavens.com:
    "Second-year receiver LaQuan Williams, who believes he is still fighting for a roster spot after becoming the Ravens’ Cinderella story last year, reportedly had one of the highlights of the day with a beautiful catch on a fade in the corner of the end zone and a one-handed snag on a laser over the middle.

The former undrafted free agent was even making plays against Lardarius Webb, beating the Ravens top corner along the sidelines on more than one occasion, according to The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec.
    "

I know some of the drills they run will favor the offense, but it's encouraging to hear that he was able to make some plays against Webb.

They also shared some tweets in the same column:
    - “LaQuan Williams has amazing hands,” wrote WBAL’s Gerry Sandusky.
    - “Jacoby Jones had a rough day as far as catching the football,” added RavensInsider Aaron Wilson. “In contrast, LaQuan Williams looked very sharp.
    Am pulling for LaQuan: POLY PRIDE deep inside - my kids go/went to Poly. But the role that will make or break him is special teams, which gives him separation from Doss on the roster scramble.

#3 WR is Jones' to lose; any catches LaQuan makes will be gravy, but it doesn't hurt to have his speed available @ WR

Yes, and was a pretty good player at FSU but got into some legal troubles and I guess got booted off the team. Perhaps that is why he is from Alabama State.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...arges-burglary
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Yeah, he was kicked off the FSU team after he broke into two different cars in the summer of 2010. He had just been named the top LB on the team after spring practice, going into his junior year. (He's an OLB)

So he finished his college career in the minor leagues. He was a four-star recruit out of high school with a lot of high major offers.

The ironic thing is that if you look up what the FSU website said about him just prior to the incident, it says...

2010 OUTLOOK
    Steps into the role as the weakside linebacker starter, replacing All-ACC performer Dekoda Watson. Has set new standards of excellence with his work ethic and accountability on and off the field and is poised for a big season after earning most dependable honors among linebackers at the conclusion of spring practice.
    So you want to believe he is a good kid who made a bad mistake.

I do agree that the #3 WR spot is Jacoby Jones to lose, i think LaQuan Takes it from him. Then Jones goes to 4 and Doss is 5.

Like last year Cary williams went into OTA/Camp/Pre Season as a long shot to make the team. he ended up being a starter so that is what camp and pre season is for. If jones keeps dropping balls he wont be the #3 but yes it is his job to lose.

I belive Carr makes the team as we usually keep one or 2 UDFAs its hard to tell who the other will be, maybe this year we just keep him and keep an extra OL by signing a vet close to the season or one of the young guys who show a lot during camp/pre season.

Blog Entries

Nigel Carr is an interesting player, and he could really challenge Dannel Elerbee for the #3 LB spot should he make the roster. He brings something to this team that we haven't had for a while, and that's being a coverage LB who can drop back and possibly cover TE's. From what I seen of him at Florida state, he was very talented as a coverage LB. Could be an option as a LB when we go into the nickel. Although I have heard reports that Elerbee is in great shape, has lost some bad weight, and looks a lot leaner than he did in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yeah, he was kicked off the FSU team after he broke into two different cars in the summer of 2010. He had just been named the top LB on the team after spring practice, going into his junior year. (He's an OLB)

So he finished his college career in the minor leagues. He was a four-star recruit out of high school with a lot of high major offers.

The ironic thing is that if you look up what the FSU website said about him just prior to the incident, it says...

And that is what the Ravens are thinking as well, IMO. I hope they are right.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

He's a pretty quick LB.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Hopefully Carr can prove out -- after stinking up the AFCCG Ellerbe is dead to me.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

Truth, but what I more than believe is that the Ravens FO always does due diligence. If they have brought him in, they did enough homework to be comfortable with how he currently is, and we can relax and hope we give him a Bart Scott award in a couple of years.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be surprised if they carried 6 receivers this year at all. LaQuan is a good ST's player as well. So, if the potential is there for a WR and he's a good ST'er...win/win.

Boldin, Torrey, Jacoby, Tandon, LaQuan, Streeter.

Reed to IR.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.