2008 - 18th 324 ypg
    2009 - 13th 351 ypg
    2010 - 22th 323 ypg
    2011 - 15th 339 ypg
    2012 - 19th 346 ypg

Can Cam be any more mediocre?

Blog Entries

Re: Offense Rankings since Joe/Cam have been here

I think that part of the patience with Cam Cameron, comes from the horrid offense that we watched, for years. So, although Cameron is a coordinator that most of us want to be replaced, he has been an improvement over most of the previous offenses from the Ravens, the results are better than what they were.

Now, where the debate starts is when the talent is compared. The reality is that Cam Cameron may not have the best talent in the league. However, he certainly has had more talent than Jim Fassel and Matt Cavanaugh. Objectively, all three of them had their issues. Cavanaugh tried to get too cute. Fassel was stuck in a closet. Billick thought that he was the smartest guy in the room (Just throwing that in there). Cam Cameron make a game plan and struggles to adjust once it stops working.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Look, it is like this. The Raven's have been serving up shit as an offense for over a decade. Recently they just put a label on it an have been calling it pudding.

Blog Entries

At least this year it's a lot higher than the defensive rankings

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I will say this. The back to back regular season wins at Heinz Field, with game winning drives by Flacco, are an improvement. Being able to come back from three TDs down (Arizona) is an improvement. For the offense to even be in a position to win the AFC Championship Game on the last drive shows improvement.

It's just not enough to get them to the new 'next level'.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I've never been a fan of measuring total yards as a measure of how good an offense or defense is. It's a misleading, often situational stat.

Quote Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
    yards per game

2008 - 18th 324 ypg
    2009 - 13th 351 ypg
    2010 - 22th 323 ypg
    2011 - 15th 339 ypg
    2012 - 19th 346 ypg

I think the problem w/ declaring one stat to be the be-all-end-all gauge of effectiveness is that it can be misleading. I think this season the Offense has been more effective than that ranking indicates. On a yards per play basis, the offense is 14th overall.

Biggest problem is that the Offense is 25th in plays run, some of which is the Offense's fault in terms of 3rd down conversion, but alot of which is also the Defense's fault.

Bottom line is when you give up 200 yards rushing in 3 consecutive weeks, you won't be running alot of plays on offense for those games nor getting as many yards. And if don't get a 1st down for 2 1/2 quarters, you won't be running alot of offensive plays either. Amazingly, they went 3-1 during this w/ 3 of the 4 on the road.

But the overall best team game was still the first game, so all 3 phases are going to have to eliminate the kind of alarming trends we've all seen rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
    yards per game

2008 - 18th 324 ypg
    2009 - 13th 351 ypg
    2010 - 22th 323 ypg
    2011 - 15th 339 ypg
    2012 - 19th 346 ypg

Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

Top 10 numbers? No. Consistently better than the league average? Yep.

Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    Last edited by MarkS; 11-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I've never been a fan of measuring total yards as a measure of how good an offense or defense is. It's a misleading, often situational stat.
    I'm no fan of Cam, but I agree with yardage being misleading. They should put an asterik on any passing yard/TD stat when an offense is down by 14pts in the 2H.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Yea, but you win games with points, not yards. So in the stat that matters more:

2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

Much of the anti-Cam hysteria, as well as much of the "Ravens = great defense/bad offense" perception, both locally and nationally, is simply ill-informed.

I'll give you one example: Anyone think the Steelers have a bad/sub-par offense? Probably not. and yet, in the 4 1/2 seasons since Flacco/Rice/Harbaugh/Cam arrived in town, the Ravens have actually scored MORE points than Roethlisberger's Steelers. And not just by one or two, by over 100 points (1710 to 1606).

My point is not that Cam is great, or the offense is great, but that both are significantly better than most Ravens fans realize.
    and thats why hes still here. He may not be a world beater, but hes better than the majority out there statistically. Now in reality, i think hes holding back what could be a top 5 offense vs actually getting more out of lesser talent. Thats where the FO has to assess the situation and make the call. is it worth staying in the top 3rd of the league or taking a risk and possibly getting in the top 5 of the league. for 5 spots and few measly ppg, its kind of obvious why they have stuck with him.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    and thats why hes still here. He may not be a world beater, but hes better than the majority out there statistically. Now in reality, i think hes holding back what could be a top 5 offense vs actually getting more out of lesser talent. Thats where the FO has to assess the situation and make the call. is it worth staying in the top 3rd of the league or taking a risk and possibly getting in the top 5 of the league. for 5 spots and few measly ppg, its kind of obvious why they have stuck with him.
    Exactly. For all of our frustration, they play to win the game...as long as they're winning there's no sense in taking the risk that the alternative winds up being worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

2008 - 11th 24.1 ppg
    2009 - 9th 24.4 ppg
    2010 - 16th 22.3 ppg
    2011 - 12th 23.6 ppg
    2012 - 11th 24.9 ppg

I agree with you, but PPG is a bit misleading too from an offensive standpoint. Defensive and ST returns should be a separate category.

I compared Steelers' and the Ravens' offensive TD & FGs made from 2008 to now:

Ravens have scored 170TDs (Passing & Rushing) and 119 FGs Made for a total of 1377 Offensive Pts

Steelers have scored 164TDs & 123 FGs Made for a total of 1353 Offensive Pts

That total point discrepancy is only 24pts.

Still your point is well-founded. In the AFC North, no team is gonna be leading the league in PPG.

Hey interesting tidbit doing this analysis... 2008/2010/2011 we scored exactly 36 offensive TDs each year. 2009 we scored 43 offensive TDs. Hmmm what does that prove.... I contend that 2009 was our best OL in the Cam years, and this stat proves it. I'm convinced that OL play is the biggest factor in this season's offensive performance.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 11-06-2012 at 02:57 PM.