Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: In clutch defense can't get off field

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Yep. Even posted a thread about it. Got roasted for it, too. In all fairness though, this whole team is soft. And stupid.
    May have been your thread I got roasted in

Blog Entries

Smith has clearly been an upgrade at ILB over last years version of Ray Lewis, but I'm not sure either safety has been better than Reed was last year. Elam will get better, not much hope for Ihedigbo to be any better than he is right now, which isn't good.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Offense, defense, special teams, coaching are all terrible.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

The defense in the clutch/money time allowed 15 plays 6:43 off the clock and didn't get off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    If the defense gets a stop then flacco throws a pick and the browns kill the clock flacco gets the blame. Doesn't matter what you do before. But if you have a chance to win a game with 5 mins left, you need the defense to man up and get a stop, and they just haven't done that three times in a row.
    And when you're down by 11 with 17 minutes left, you need to convert a 4th and 1 at midfield and not punt, amongst other things. Seriously though, any attempt to blame the defense when the offense is taking 30+ minutes to rack up five first downs and can't consistently generate positive running plays while the defense is consistently keeping them in a position to win is just asinine and unfair.

This is the problem with the 'bend but don't break' Defense. Everyone's pointed to the lack of points we've given up in last few weeks, which is good, but bend but don't break is useless when you're against the clock and need to get the ball back, as we were against GB, Pittsburgh and today.

It's not just this this season- it would have cost us in the Superbowl but fortunately the 49ers needed a TD as opposed to a FG and we were able to get the stop on our own goalline.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    For all the talk of the defense being upgraded and landing Dumerville etc, this defense is not nearly as good as last year's defense. Please no one ever say we upgraded at middle linebacker and safety. These guys are not even close to a Ray Lewis and Ed Reed led defense - even with Ray and Ed in the late December of their careers.
    Been saying this since we unloaded half of the defense. You can't lose that kind of experience and leadership, and not have a drop off in performance.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    And when you're down by 11 with 17 minutes left, you need to convert a 4th and 1 at midfield and not punt, amongst other things. Seriously though, any attempt to blame the defense when the offense is taking 30+ minutes to rack up five first downs and can't consistently generate positive running plays while the defense is consistently keeping them in a position to win is just asinine and unfair.
    We converted our fourth and 1, flacco sneaked it, did you watch the game?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    May have been your thread I got roasted in
    I believe it was, too.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yep.

The offense has been bad, but they didn't invest the entire off-season into the offense. I assumed the offense was going to be bad for most of the season.

The defense is beyond bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The offense is by far worse than the defense. By far.

We would be 0-8 if not for the defense and ST. Literally 0-8.

We get a win with 14 points out of our offense at home.

We get a win when the defense gets a pick 6 followed by a Punt return TD at home (offense has 3 points before those two TDs)

We get a win when the offense allows a game-tying pick 6 midway through the 4th quarter, and the defense holds opposition in the last two drives to 0 points.

The offense is horrendous, the defense is average and inconsistent. We could win more than we lose with the latter, a lot of teams do. We cannot win more than we lose with the former, barring a shutdown defense (which is rare in this league these days).

This is spot on. The D cannot get off the field on the last drive.

But also, and tell me if you've seen this movie: Offense can't put point on the board in the ist half...offensive line can't open holes for the run game...Flacco gets harrassed all game...

We are just not a very good team, at all. Time to come to grips with it, people. This team is not making the playoffs this year.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Thanks to the ravens offense, the defense couldn't get off the field in the 1st half either.