Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Arthur Brown - ILB - Kansas State

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Arthur Brown is a phenomenal athlete, but there's more Jane than Tarzan in him. Just in terms of build and athletic ability Brown and Lavonte David are similar, but David was a much better prospect. He was far more physical and had more playmaking ability than Brown does. I like Brown, but to succeed at ILB in the NFL especially in a 3-4, you have to attack the football and make plays. Brown is much more of a "wait for the play to come to me" guy, which is what you do more of as a 4-3 WILL, and that's why he'll fit best in that position in the NFL.

Brown is my 5th rated ILB after Ogletree, Minter, Greene, and Te'o. I do still think he could play 3-4 ILB in the NFL but he'll have much more of a learning curve at that spot and will need to be protected from OL getting their hands on him.
    how in the work do you criticise brown for that then have Greene two spots ahead of him. You've described Greene to a tee there, and totally missed on brown IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    how in the work do you criticise brown for that then have Greene two spots ahead of him. You've described Greene to a tee there, and totally missed on brown IMO.
    You see so called "experts" have such varied opinions too.

That is what is fun about draft time. Everyone has their own opinions. No one really knows.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You see so called "experts" have such varied opinions too.

That is what is fun about draft time. Everyone has their own opinions. No one really knows.
    I dunno how anyone can watch tape of brown and Greene and say Greene is more ilb than brown is at the next level in a 34

Blog Entries

I dunno how anyone can watch tape of brown and Greene and say Greene is more ilb than brown is at the next level in a 34
    I'm just saying tons of people have tons of different opinions come draft time, and it is no reason to bust anyone's balls over it.

Sure, there could be general consensus about this player or that player and where he fits or what he can do. But nothing is ever guaranteed. And no one is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The one issue that I have seen with Brown, that is somewhat understandable when you watch the footage, is that you don't quite know if he's an inside guy in a 3-4 or that outside guy in a 4-3.
    I can agree with that. However we do play a hybrid 3-4 and so the distinction you bring up is minimized.

Yeah really our linebacker are listed as 4-3 Will, Mike and Sam backers with the addition of a Rush position rather than the 3-4 LOLB, 2 ILB's and ROLB. So Brown will be more than fine in our system

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Arthur Brown is a phenomenal athlete, but there's more Jane than Tarzan in him...
    I'm not saying Brown should be our 1st round draft choice either, but I wouldn't call a guy who had 101 tackles (2011) and 100 tackles (2012) "Jane" either... Bc

Blog Entries

Interesting. Walterfootball just posted Todd McShay's mock first two rounds and he doesn't even have Arthur Brown in the first 62 picks.

For ILB's, McShay has Te'o going 28 to DEN and Minter to CHI at 50.

They are very different players on tape and some of that is schematic re: Kansas State's defense vs. Rutgers. He gets praised for his instincts but KSU's defense funnels a lot of plays directly to him for him to react to; Greene was more effective seeking the play out and attacking. I could break down film play by play with you to give you more of a sense of what I'm seeing, obviously that would be a very time-consuming process. Brown's game is much more read-and-react, Greene is more of an attacker, and that's why I line them up as I do schematically; obviously I'm aware Brown played MLB in college and Greene played OLB, but this is more about skill-set than pure college position.

Why else do you think Brown has never forced a fumble in his entire college career? I've seen scouting reports that call him an "aggressive hitter" who "loves to lay the wood" but I don't see that on tape at all. He is a GOOD tackler, but not forceful, and that contributes to his lack of playmaking ability. Now, he could definitely adjust to a different role in the NFL and become more of an attacking, playmaking ILB type, but that's not what's displayed on his college tape, and that's what I'm basing my evaluation on.

It's also an upside question--I think Brown has already peaked mentally and physically, but Greene has not; he only played 1 year of linebacker! And his one year of tape was better than Brown's after 3 years! Greene is just going to get better as he adjusts more and more to the position, and his instincts and on-field leadership are already comparable (maybe not quite as good, admittedly) as Brown's.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm not saying Brown should be our 1st round draft choice either, but I wouldn't call a guy who had 101 tackles (2011) and 100 tackles (2012) "Jane" either... Bc
    That was specifically in response to the Lavonte David comparison. Brown's 201 career tackles at KSU aren't a bad 2 year total, but Lavonte David posted 285--and forced 3 fumbles to go along with that. Greene had 136 in his only year starting at LB and SIX forced fumbles to go along with SIX sacks, which are spectacular numbers, and the tape corroborates that among those 3 guys, Arthur Brown was firmly 3rd in terms of physicality and playmaking ability. Again, some of that is schematic as KSU's defense was much more read-and-react than attacking.

Blog Entries

I had no clue he is Bryce Brown's brother.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Interesting. Walterfootball just posted Todd McShay's mock first two rounds and he doesn't even have Arthur Brown in the first 62 picks.

For ILB's, McShay has Te'o going 28 to DEN and Minter to CHI at 50.
    Could you post a link? I like to look at Walterfootball's mock but don't see Todd's on their site

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Could you post a link? I like to look at Walterfootball's mock but don't see Todd's on their site
    it is in their forum section

http://forum.walterfootball.com/show...aft-%283-28%29