Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Seriously, Do The Ravens Need Vonta Leach?

The problem is that Cam's offense is centered around the run, so having arguably the best run-blocking FB in the NFL is something that would be very enticing for the Ravens.

That said, I don't think Cam's offense has really adapted to the new NFL and to be perfectly honest, I don't think Ray Rice is a great fit for Cam's version of the Coryell anyway. Rice is a hell of a back. Arguably the best RB in the NFL right now when all things are considered, but I think he'd be so much more effective in an offense similar to what the Giants run. Again, the success of this team is going to come through Joe and the passing game. That's just the way it is and the Ravens have the talent to become that kind of an offense, but they just don't have the person at the top putting all the pieces together properly.

They paid a lot for Leach because their offensive identity (or at least their attempted offensive identity) is to be a run-first offense. When you think about all of that it makes sense to go out and get the best run blocker that you can. Situationally, they had the opportunity to get arguably the best run blocking FB in the league, they needed a FB, he was coming from a zone-blocking system similar to the Ravens, and he brings a lot of leadership to the locker room.

To the OP - I think you could probably take Vonta Leach's name out of this entire thread and just argue that the importance of a run-blocking FB isn't really of significant value anymore in the NFL. That's why you see a lot of teams operating out of a 1-back set with multiple TE's OR you have an offense that uses an actual TE/H-Back as the FB.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 05-29-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Hell yea we need Vonta Leach...someone touched on it earlier about the tone he sets for the run game but even if you just quantify his impact in the redzone he's worth it. How many times before he got here did we get stalled in the redzone and have to settle for 3. I dont think our redzone passing offense has gotten to the level it needs to so you have to have the ability to punch it in. Leach makes that possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    What other FB's where out there at the time? You don't just hand any old rookie the starting FB job, it's a very hard position to play and be effective at doing. Only around 3 full backs in the league can lead block to an elite level. Do you think Rice would be as productive if we had some guy off the streets playing FB in front of him? I don't.

Rice even struggled at times in 2010 with leRon blocking for him.
    Madison Hedgecock and Lawrence Vickers were available IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The problem is that Cam's offense is centered around the run, so having arguably the best run-blocking FB in the NFL is something that would be very enticing for the Ravens.

That said, I don't think Cam's offense has really adapted to the new NFL and to be perfectly honest, I don't think Ray Rice is a great fit for Cam's version of the Coryell anyway. Rice is a hell of a back. Arguably the best RB in the NFL right now when all things are considered, but I think he'd be so much more effective in an offense similar to what the Giants run. Again, the success of this team is going to come through Joe and the passing game. That's just the way it is and the Ravens have the talent to become that kind of an offense, but they just don't have the person at the top putting all the pieces together properly.

They paid a lot for Leach because their offensive identity (or at least their attempted offensive identity) is to be a run-first offense.
    I agree, i think we can throw out alot of different factors, analyne things till we are blue in the face but i think at the end of the day two things must happen.

1. This must becomes Joe's offense...And im not saying he has to throw it even a attempt more then last year, he just needs to be given the control and freedom to put his imprint on each game i.e. AFCC game

2. Joe has to make someone else a threat...We know what we have in Boldin, Smith, Pitta and Dickson. For the latter 3 it's feasible to expect them to take another step in their progression but i think between Doss or Jones he has to make one of those guys a viable target.
    Last edited by Carey; 05-29-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Also Hyponski. A lot of people here thought hed be a great blocking FB with potential, and thats exactly what he showed as a rookie. If we had an obvious opening on the roster im pretty sure we could have attained him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Also Hyponski. A lot of people here thought hed be a great blocking FB with potential, and thats exactly what he showed as a rookie. If we had an obvious opening on the roster im pretty sure we could have attained him.
    The Giants snatched him up pretty quickly. They liked him enough to cut Madison Hedgecock, who at the time was also one of the premier run blockers.

I want to say that Owen Schmitt was available as well.

He was, signed with Raiders.

Blog Entries

The Giants snatched him up pretty quickly. They liked him enough to cut Madison Hedgecock, who at the time was also one of the premier run blockers.

I guess im getting confused because last year the draft was before Free Agency, I guess he got signed long before Leach did, but still would have been an option if we decided to go that route.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by dirt1 View Post
    i think the ravens do need leach. He gives their running attack a much needed identity, and sets a physical tone against teams.
    absolutely agree!!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Blog Entries

I don't know if it was due to injury or something else, but Vickers wasn't even the starting FB for the Texans in 2011. Neither of those players would have been much of an upgrade if at all over McClain, even as a lead blocker. Right now, I'd say Jed Collins (New Orleans) and Greg Jones II (Jacksonville) are the two other FB's who can actually block at a decent level.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Love the offseason!

I think it has been determined that 90% of the team is either overpaid, expendable or just not that good.

Mind boggling how this team has the success it does with all this wasted cap space, and notorious underachievers all over the place at virtually every position.

How do they do it??
    It's Boller's fault...no wait...it's Billick's fault...

Blog Entries

We are in worse state than the Oakland Raiders guys!!!