Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Do you wanna know why the Ravens don't run this offense on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Actually, we're both right.

You described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens fall behind.
    I described what Cam tends to do when the Ravens have a lead.
    (I guess I had the Browns game still fresh in my mind. Since that was the last game the offense floundered--at least for about half the game)

So, in the example I gave, of the passing game not working, if it happens before the Ravens take the lead, Cam does NOT tend to go run-run-pass-punt. As you said, instead he'll abandon the run and go pass-pass-pass.

But if the passing game stops working after the Ravens have taken a lead (or even if it hasn't) then he WILL often go run-run-pass-punt.

And your analogy of an old man hitting the gas instead of the brakes is spot on.
    That's our Cam alright.
    I don't mind run-run-pass, especially early in the game or when we have a good lead. The problem isn't the run-run-pass, it's the run-run-throw it deep down the sideline play selection, especially early in games, but even when we have a lead. Flacco needs to hear the words "throw it to Boldin" before he trots on the field every time. Whenever we need to get a drive and he throws it to Boldin, we start moving the chains. That's how we clawed back to win at home against Arizona last year. That's how the game-winning drive started against the Browns. Run the ball, and throw it to Boldin.

That's how the Coryell is designed to work, and Cam's insistence on trying to go backwards down the play chart is what stalls this offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    How can I blindly be optimistic at 7-2? There comes a point in time when people need to accept that this team while flawed on both sides of the ball, does enough to win most of their games.
    Oh, dear me, Beast, there also comes a time when people need to realize that this team has had many good things handed to them on silver platters by their opponents, e.g., Palmer getting tripped by his own guard on that early 4th down play. Not that I'm complaining about it--I just think it's nutz to expect that to continue. I have trouble seeing how we get to 10 wins without catching a few more (maybe more than a few more) breaks along the way, & while the Law of Averages is only valid over a lot longer stretch than a football season, things do have a way of regressing to the mean--i.e., evening out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Oh, dear me, Beast, there also comes a time when people need to realize that this team has had many good things handed to them on silver platters by their opponents...
    That's what I kept saying the year Big Ben won his second Super Bowl. They kept getting breaks, and Roethlisberger kept playing with fire- that is, taking snaps behind that porous O-line.