Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Flacco deal has apparently been finalized!

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Hmmm.........

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    The fourth-year cap hit of $29 million makes this, in essence, a 3-year deal for Flacco. That cap figure will need to be addressed in '16.
    Makes sense to me. Flacco most certainly will play out the entire contract and beyond, perhaps another 2-3 years. With that kind of cap # makes sense to restructure and sign him to an extension of 3 years or so. He'll be 37 or 38 by then, very reasonable considering how durable he's been.

Hmmm.........

Albert Breer‏@AlbertBreer
    The fourth-year cap hit of $29 million makes this, in essence, a 3-year deal for Flacco. That cap figure will need to be addressed in '16.
    That is the modern NFL. Teams that are built around one QB will just keep fixing the cap number when it becomes due. That is what NE just did with Brady and that is what Pittsburgh is doing with Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
    That is the modern NFL. Teams that are built around one QB will just keep fixing the cap number when it becomes due. That is what NE just did with Brady and that is what Pittsburgh is doing with Benny.

Oh, no doubt. I'm just a little surprised, given the 3 bonuses, that there would be that high of a base salary in the 4th year, but I guess until we see all of the details (most importantly, when that third bonus is paid), it's kind of hard to guess.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Oh, no doubt. I'm just a little surprised, given the 3 bonuses, that there would be that high of a base salary in the 4th year, but I guess until we see all of the details (most importantly, when that third bonus is paid), it's kind of hard to guess.
    this is interesting and it almost gives me the impression that they couldn't agree to terms so they settled on a deal that will have to be restructured in 3 years. There's no way they can absorb that $29M cap hit so they're going into this knowing it's a 3 year deal, correct?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think they easily could absorb it in four years. By that stage Suggs, ngata, rices contracts will all be of the books. We will have four years worth of rookies on the new rookie wage scale, so your talking a good thirty players with low cap hits, and we don't really have any players coming through that deserve massive deals to replace Suggs and ngatas just a lot of very good players that should be signed at reasonable deals. Only two that may command elite money for their position could be smith and KO right now as I see it.

You also have the tv deal kicking in which will affect the cap at least slightly at worst and quite a bit at best.

I def think they could handle a 30 mil cap hit in four years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I think they easily could absorb it in four years. By that stage Suggs, ngata, rices contracts will all be of the books. We will have four years worth of rookies on the new rookie wage scale, so your talking a good thirty players with low cap hits, and we don't really have any players coming through that deserve massive deals to replace Suggs and ngatas just a lot of very good players that should be signed at reasonable deals. Only two that may command elite money for their position could be smith and KO right now as I see it.

You also have the tv deal kicking in which will affect the cap at least slightly at worst and quite a bit at best.

Yeah but that's assuming a lot of things doesn't happen. The Ravens may sign a big name in the next four years, or one of our younger players or rookies step up and go to pro bowls etc. KO has a good shot at getting elite guard money by then, Torrey Smith may emerge into an elite WR by then, then you also have guys like Jimmy Smith and possibly Arthur Jones getting big pay days. It only takes one great year to get big money these days.

A lot of these younger players may not look elite now, but who's to say they wont get better. Who'd have thought Paul Kruger would possibly be getting 10M a year by now back in 2010? I certainly didn't see it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Yeah but that's assuming a lot of things doesn't happen. The Ravens may sign a big name in the next four years, or one of our younger players or rookies step up and go to pro bowls etc. KO has a good shot at getting elite guard money by then, Torrey Smith may emerge into an elite WR by then, then you also have guys like Jimmy Smith and possibly Arthur Jones getting big pay days. It only takes one great year to get big money these days.

A lot of these younger players may not look elite now, but who's to say they wont get better. Who'd have thought Paul Kruger would possibly be getting 10M a year by now back in 2010? I certainly didn't see it coming.
    But he won't be getting it from us... You have to use projection and they either project it will get re done, or that they can handle the deal using the same assumptions I've made there.

I think it's highly plausible come that fourth year we won't need to re do it.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post

No way we can absorb a 29M cap hit. You're assuming their won't be a few rookies we draft between now and then who end up outperforming their rooke contract. They will be line for a big payday. Too much can happen between now and 2016.

Wait. How much of that 29M is base salary and how much is from the bonuses that are sure to be prorated and included in this number?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    No way we can absorb a 29M cap hit. You're assuming their won't be a few rookies we draft between now and then who end up outperforming their rooke contract. They will be line for a big payday. Too much can happen between now and 2016.
    Any players we draft between now and 2016 in a high round wont have contracts that expire in 2016 or before, so they will still be playing on rookie deals. Of course there's the odd chance that one of the low round drafted players who typically sign for shorter deals, emerge into an elite player, but that is very very unlikely to happen. The best you usually get from players past round 3 with only a few years into the league is guys like Arthur Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Any players we draft between now and 2016 in a high round wont have contracts that expire in 2016 or before, so they will still be playing on rookie deals. Of course there's the odd chance that one of the low round drafted players who typically sign for shorter deals, emerge into an elite player, but that is very very unlikely to happen. The best you usually get from players past round 3 with only a few years into the league is guys like Arthur Jones.
    True, but the possibilities I outlined still exist. If our first rounder this year plays lights out until this rookie contract expires in 2017 then he's going to be line for a big pay day. So when 2016 and Joe's huge cap # come calling, I think we'll have a pretty good idea on who we have to resign and how much it will cost. So a restructure of Joe's contract is a strong possibility to free up money for the next crop of Ravens superstars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    True, but the possibilities I outlined still exist. If our first rounder this year plays lights out until this rookie contract expires in 2017 then he's going to be line for a big pay day. So when 2016 and Joe's huge cap # come calling, I think we'll have a pretty good idea on who we have to resign and how much it will cost. So a restructure of Joe's contract is a strong possibility to free up money for the next crop of Ravens superstars.
    You make a good point. We shall see what happens with the cap over the next few years. Still a while away yet, let us just enjoy the next three years for now.