Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Stafford at 9 for you?!?!

I guess you didn't watch many Lions games last season.

Easily, all of the four rookies deserves to be higher than him based on TD / INT ratio, QBR and Wins alone, let alone he's regressed terribly since his one good season.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 07-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.

I'm not going to argue over something so obviously biased by opinions. This year Peyton will be 37 and Brady will be 36. I'm not predicting their demise this year, but physically both are declining, it's a matter of time before it's obvious. Eventually they'll be rated for the player they are now and not their legacy.

To Joe's credit, the most important games of last season with playoff elimination as the consequence of losing, Joe outplayed both future HOFers. That in and of itself is not a suggestion that Joe should be ranked above them, but he deserves more credit by the media pundits. Maybe they know something I don't, but I wouldn't trade last year's playoff run and Super Bowl trophy over flashy regular season stats. Winning when it counts is never discussed in these rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    top 4- as listed above, no brainers
    next 3, Eli, BigBen and Flacco
    8 - Matt Ryan
    9. Staffod
    and then to me, is wehre it starts to get tough, but to me, to get RGIII to 13, you would have to lsit the 4 youngsters all next, andnot have RGIII last. Becuase I would rank those 4 Luck, Kapernick, Wilson and THEN the busted up RGIII (michael Vick part 2). I'm sorry, but I think RGIII will have to get very lucky to ever finish a single season healthy. I think he has maybe 8 years tops in the NFL period, and likely has already played his best football. I might even have Cam ranked over him, and would even consider Cutler, Schaub, ROMO... yeah, i even went that far. So i think 13-17 is the correct "range" roughly speaking. hmm, even Andy Dalton has me thinking.
    I'd argue for Ryan in the group with Flacco, Ben, and Eli. He's the only one in that group w/o a Super Bowl of course, but if not for one miracle play in Denver, Joe wouldn't have one either. Super Bowls are too easily swayed by too many factors.

I know there's no love lost for Ryan on a Ravens message board, and his stats, if anything, overate his play given the offense he plays in and the receivers he has. But I still see him as a top QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I'm not going to argue over something so obviously biased by opinions. This year Peyton will be 37 and Brady will be 36. I'm not predicting their demise this year, but physically both are declining, it's a matter of time before it's obvious. Eventually they'll be rated for the player they are now and not their legacy.

To Joe's credit, the most important games of last season with playoff elimination as the consequence of losing, Joe outplayed both future HOFers. That in and of itself is not a suggestion that Joe should be ranked above them, but he deserves more credit by the media pundits. Maybe they know something I don't, but I wouldn't trade last year's playoff run and Super Bowl trophy over flashy regular season stats. Winning when it counts is never discussed in these rankings.
    :word

Excellent points here. In the AFC Championship game (2nd half in particular) Brady looked more interested in self preservation than he did in winning. I think his age is showing. And Peyton is going to be hard pressed to put up big games in January in Denver when it counts. Old and cold are a tough combo.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 07-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Easily, all of the four rookies deserves to be higher than him based on TD / INT ratio, QBR and Wins alone, let alone he's regressed terribly since his one good season.
    It's all opinion but Stafford threw for almost 5,000 yds last year and was second only to Brees. Even with the struggles down the stretch...
    Unfortunately all those yards didn't add up to a lot of TDs

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's all opinion but Stafford threw for almost 5,000 yds last year and was second only to Brees. Even with the struggles down the stretch...
    He also led the league in attempts. Pro-football-reference.com has him:
    20th in yds/att
    18th in completion %

So he threw a lot. He just wasn't that efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    but if not for one miracle play in Denver

I am sorry if I am nitpicking but the throw in Denver was not a miracle but rather a hell of a play. Yes the db didn't play the ball correctly but that was a throw that Joe can make and honestly no one other than maybe Cutler, Rodgers or perhaps Stafford can come close to replicating. A miracle is something like throwing a hail mary and a receiver coming down with it amongst three defenders.

Just my take

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Or wins.

And only 20 TD's, more than half of his previous year output.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    I am sorry if I am nitpicking but the throw in Denver was not a miracle but rather a hell of a play. Yes the db didn't play the ball correctly but that was a throw that Joe can make and honestly no one other than maybe Cutler, Rodgers or perhaps Stafford can come close to replicating. A miracle is something like throwing a hail mary and a receiver coming down with it amongst three defenders.

Just my take
    Fair enough. I wasn't choosing my words carefully there. A miracle is overstating it, and I definitely agree that it was a hell of a play on Joe's part. But it was rather baffling that the safety wasn't in position to defend that pass given the situation. My general point is that luck plays a big role in determining Super Bowls, so on it's own, it's not a sufficient criteria for discounting one QB vs another.

Fair enough. I wasn't choosing my words carefully there. A miracle is overstating it, and I definitely agree that it was a hell of a play on Joe's part. But it was rather baffling that the safety wasn't in position to defend that pass given the situation. My general point is that luck plays a big role in determining Super Bowls, so on it's own, it's not a sufficient criteria for discounting one QB vs another.
    I agree with your last sentence 100%.

I'd argue for Ryan in the group with Flacco, Ben, and Eli. He's the only one in that group w/o a Super Bowl of course, but if not for one miracle play in Denver, Joe wouldn't have one either. Super Bowls are too easily swayed by too many factors.

I know there's no love lost for Ryan on a Ravens message board, and his stats, if anything, overate his play given the offense he plays in and the receivers he has. But I still see him as a top QB..
    Its hard to give so much respect to Ryan when you have his nutegg staring at you in the face via Giants. His D scored 2 more points than him lol.

Given that I still think he is a SB quality QB.

Joe Is more achieved. He's been consistent in the playoffs. 3 AFCCG in the last 5 years. How many has Ryan been to? one?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post

Just my take
    It's called the Mile High Miracle. It was pretty close to that IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

nope, didnt watch many. Know i saw the thanksgiving day game, saw lot of highlights, likely didnt watch many other games. Saw lots of RGIII games though, and I have absolutely zero doubt that he will regress significantly this year. In fact, I would even wager that NONE of "rooks, including cKaep" will EVER have as good a season as they just had(Luck ecxluded). RGIII/Wilson and kaepernick all benefitted to an ENORMOUS degree that the read option fad was new last year. Once defenses learn to defend it, all will be forced to play a more traditional style and will suffer greatly. I'd expect the sophmore slump to be as bad or sorse then Cam Newton's, acrross the board with those 3.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 07-11-2013 at 03:21 PM.