Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Origins of "What's our Name?"

I didn't know that this was the origins of the "What's our Name?" slogan. Evidently, Harbaughs dad used it while coaching college football during a year when his team was not earning the respect he thought it should. John Harbaugh said it was something his father often spoke about while he was growing up and decided to use it as a rallying point this year for the perennially disrespected Ravens.

Ernie Terrel refused to call Cassius Clay "Muhammad Ali" instigating Ali to taunt Terrel with, "What's my Name"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DefCmUsCPs

Re: Origins of "What's our Name?"

Ali vs Terrel, 1967 championship bout, if you can call it that. Ali pounded Terrel into submission, refusing to knock Terrel out, only to punish him until Terrel acknowledged his real name. What a gifted fighter Ali was! Not only was he physically gifted, he was probably one of the most mentally tough fighters of all time, in my mind, the Greatest of All Time! If the Ravens could match Ali's will as a fighter, there would be no question as to who will win Sunday night! It's all about who wants it the most. I never saw Ali with a defeatest look while in the ring - he only knew how to win. He once fought a fight with a broken jaw against Ken Norton - you hear that Suggs. So, you better get your ass in the game, and do not leave that field without Big Ben's scalp!! In fact, all of you Ravens must leave it all hang out come Sunday night; if not, you only have yourself to face in the mirror come Monday morning!
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 01-14-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

I was reading about it sometime back in training camp (or maybe the very beginning of the season). I know the speech from Harbaugh about taking back your name, earning back your respect, etc, was one of the first speeches he gave the team. I wish I could find whatever I initially came across. He showed the team the fight and everything.

How cool would it be if Ali could give the Ravens a speech before the game? Talk about a person who could motivate.
    Want some... come and get some!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensrulz View Post
    How cool would it be if Ali could give the Ravens a speech before the game? Talk about a person who could motivate.
    I doubt they would understand a word he said. Ali's a little punchy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Yea your right my bad, :p
    Want some... come and get some!

9. Re: Origins of "What's our Name?"

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    A little? Poor guy fought a couple to many fights. He remains the greatest fighter of all times by far.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerwave View Post
    A little? Poor guy fought a couple to many fights. He remains the greatest fighter of all times by far.
    And, imo, the Greatest Athlete of all times.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Not to mention having a pretty hot daughter, one that's also one hell of a boxer too, and could probably kick everyone's ass on here LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

She definitely is a looker, that's for sure, and looks good in those boxer shorts as well.