Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The initiation of Troy Smith

This is what I would like to see for the remainder of the games as far as quarterback position.

For the next four games, if we are winning or still in the game, I think Boller should get the nod and finish the games. There are some great opportunities for him to grow against Indy and N.E. on the prime time stage.

If a game gets out of hand and becomes "unwinnable", I would like to see Troy Smith get the 4th qtr. "mop up" duty. If we are eliminated as a team by the Miami game, I would like to see Troy get the starting nod. This should be a manageable game and more a measurement of whether he has progressed at least to a minimal level as a NFL QB.

I would then like to see Boller start against against Seattle and Pittsburgh.

2. Re: The initiation of Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    This is what I would like to see for the remainder of the games as far as quarterback position.

For the next four games, if we are winning or still in the game, I think Boller should get the nod and finish the games. There are some great opportunities for him to grow against Indy and N.E. on the prime time stage.

If a game gets out of hand and becomes "unwinnable", I would like to see Troy Smith get the 4th qtr. "mop up" duty. If we are eliminated as a team by the Miami game, I would like to see Troy get the starting nod. This should be a manageable game and more a measurement of whether he has progressed at least to a minimal level as a NFL QB.

I would then like to see Boller start against against Seattle and Pittsburgh.
    Agreed

Blog Entries

Re: The initiation of Troy Smith

Wouldn't hurt and sounds like a good idea.....but it probably won't happen....

Double Agreed! We need to see what this kid has!

However, I want to kick P-burghs you-know-what last game of the season; thus, Boller gets the nod!

Wink Re: The initiation of Troy Smith

I don't think that Troy Smith sees anything but late 4th Q mop-up duty this season, unless Boller gets hurt and McNair's mysterious shoulder ailment is healed.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I don't think that Troy Smith sees anything but late 4th Q mop-up duty this season, unless Boller gets hurt and McNair's mysterious shoulder ailment is healed.
    Probably true but I think it does makes sense to give him the Miami game especially of you can squeeze him for a couple drives in the preceding games.

Yes I would like to see what our possibly future quarterback can do, but can we really determine what his abilities are when the rest of the offensive system (play calling and coaching for example) is so inept?

I think you can only get a look at Troy Smith if we are losing our asses off by the time Miami rolls around. It's time to see once and for all if the fate of this team can rest in Boller's hands. Looks like today Billick hinted that this is Boller's last shot at getting his job back. We're going to find out what the guy is really made of.

And if he can't get it done, or at LEAST be competitive (the pipe dream of any of our QB's outdueling the Patriots is rediculous) and make this offense start scoring points, then I'm all for washing my hands of Kyle Boller and seeing what Troy Smith has to offer.

Wink Re: The initiation of Troy Smith

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Looks like today Billick hinted that this is Boller's last shot at getting his job back.

While that is plausible to me considering that Boller has the reins for up to 7 games before the 2008 FA period or draft, how did Billick make such a hint?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    While that is plausible to me considering that Boller has the reins for up to 7 games before the 2008 FA period or draft, how did Billick make such a hint?
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,5069312.story

"Ravens coach Brian Billick didn't rule out Kyle Boller finishing out the season as the starting quarterback and couldn't definitively answer whether Steve McNair will ever play again for the Ravens."

I totally agree with you. Why do we draft players and never ever give them not one chance to prove themselves? How bad could this man be? Ohio State was a number one team last year (or most of last year).

I think every drafted player who remains with the team should at least be given some minimum time to play to see how they do in real world situations.

Start Boller, yes; but leave some time for Troy Smith. We have absolutely nothing to lose, because the playoffs realistically are out of reach.

I don't see Troy Smith as anything more than a back-up QB. He just doesn't have the size to be an NFL QB. He wasn't particularly impressive in the preseason. Although he has a strong arm, he wasn't accurate. He moves around well in the pocket and has good pocket presence. The Ravens QB of the future is not on the team.