Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Hey mommatheregoesthatman - I'll eat some Crow.

Didn't see much of him last year at Wisconsin, but all the fuss about him at NC State I never got. Last time I saw him play was against Virginia Tech in 2010. Statistically he completed a lot of passes for big yards, but it was all floaters into heavy traffic that his huge WRs (Owen Spencer and some other guy) would go up and get time and time and time again. He didn't hit anybody in stride the whole game, ran scared, and threw garbage into no-man's land for 60 minutes. I couldn't believe anybody could watch that game and think this guy had any future in the game whatsoever, but the announcers fell all over themselves with praise anyway. Just looked it up - he threw three picks, but it probably should have been 9.

We'll see how he looks against NFL teams who are actually game-planning instead of running base defenses. My money says he can't hit a cow's ass with a snow-shovel, doesn't know a zone defense from man, and will be a human highlight reel of horrifying turnovers before his career as a starter is mercifully euthanized. He will lose the starting job to Matt Flynn on or before Game 8.

I further predict he'll be playing minor league baseball by 2015.

Consider this the Seahawks' "Troy Smith Moment"

Blog Entries

Re: Hey mommatheregoesthatman - I'll eat some Crow.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Didn't see much of him last year at Wisconsin, but all the fuss about him at NC State I never got. Last time I saw him play was against Virginia Tech in 2010. Statistically he completed a lot of passes for big yards, but it was all floaters into heavy traffic that his huge WRs (Owen Spencer and some other guy) would go up and get time and time and time again. He didn't hit anybody in stride the whole game, ran scared, and threw garbage into no-man's land for 60 minutes. I couldn't believe anybody could watch that game and think this guy had any future in the game whatsoever, but the announcers fell all over themselves with praise anyway. Just looked it up - he threw three picks, but it probably should have been 9.

We'll see how he looks against NFL teams who are actually game-planning instead of running base defenses. My money says he can't hit a cow's ass with a snow-shovel, doesn't know a zone defense from man, and will be a human highlight reel of horrifying turnovers before his career as a starter is mercifully euthanized. He will lose the starting job to Matt Flynn on or before Game 8.

I further predict he'll be playing minor league baseball by 2015.

Consider this the Seahawks' "Troy Smith Moment"
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if that actually happened.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Pete has been a crappy head coach in the NFL. He's a very good DC though.

I actually saw the original thread awhile back that Wicked is talking about. No crow when that poster was calling for a 1st round selection. That would be silly. I think Wilson being named the starter speaks more to the quarterbacks that they had in Seattle. Tavaris is now a Bill and Flynn had one huge game while a Packer. Wilson just happens to be better than both of those guys.

I see Flynn along the lines of Matt Cassell. He was in a QB friendly system up there and had Rodgers up there to help with his progression.

Wilson isn't a pocket statue and gives them another dimension on offense. Coming from Wisconsin and from what I saw, this was expected. The kid is older in spirit that his age suggest.

Blog Entries

Russel Wilson can throw the ball well, arguably as well as RG3 can, he is only one inch shorter than Brees, so IMO, and from what I've seen of him at Wisconsin, and the pre season so far, I actually think he can be a success. If teams could go back in time now and do a re draft (this is way too early to say it) but I'm pretty sure a bunch of teams would have drafted Wilson in the second round, and possibly the late first looking back at it. I would much rather have Wilson than Weeden for example, Weeden still has to develope into a good NFL QB, and that may take years, his career could basically almost be over by the time he actually develops (and that is a big IF).

Having said that, there is no need for anyone to eat crow here. Why the hell would the Ravens use their first round pick on him when he went in the 3rd, especially when we already have Flacco. The guy is an idiot, had RG3 or Andrew Luck some how magically fallen all the way to 29, why the hell would you pick them when you have Flacco?

Wilson needs to be behind a big strong offensive line, with a good RB who can pound the ball, and take pressure off him. The Seahawks have that, they have a really strong running game behind a strong offensive line. The Seahawks can also play good defense, so I think Wilson is a good fit for Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Speaking on this topic though, does anyone else see Pete Carroll lasting in Seattle? I don't. His draft picks and free agency strategy is effin nuts and wasteful.

They paid Charlie Whitehurst a TON of money to essentially be the 3rd string QB and now they forked over a fair amount of money for a guy who had about 2 good games under his belt with arguably one of the top set of receivers in the league and now he can't even beat out a 5'11" 3rd round rookie???

Bruce Irvin as a top 20 pick (15th I think?) when there were guys like Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, Shea McCllelin, Chandler Jones, and Whitney Mercilus still on the board?

James Carpenter in 2011 when Gabe Carimi was still on the boards???

He's wayyyy too much of a wild card up there and has way too much power. It's only a matter of time before the Seahawks can him.
    Pete Carroll is a fucking idiot who thinks he's still in college which is to say that if doesn't like a player or more specifically falls out of love with a player he'll simply recruit/draft/sign another guy. That will end up getting you killed long term in the league.

He has also killed himself with FA's. T Jackson went there won the starting job, played with a torn pec and was out as soon as the season was over. Matt Flynn goes there and imo didn't get a fair shot at all. If you're paying him over $8 mil per season he should be the unquestioned starter and if he struggles then you look at Wilson. Seattle will be a hard sell to quality players as long Pete's in charge.

As for eating crow, screw momma and his fucked up logic. Flacco got the Ravens in position to go to the SB so to get rid of him for a rookie who's too short and untested is ludicrous. To draft him in the first round would get you shot.

Lastly, Wilson's been doing this against vanilla schemes and no one has even bothered to game plan against him. If he performs at a high level all year then I'll eat crow.

Blog Entries

It's a good fit with that defense and run game but let's wait until he faces defense that are gameplanning before going too far

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Pete Carroll is a fucking idiot who thinks he's still in college which is to say that if doesn't like a player or more specifically falls out of love with a player he'll simply recruit/draft/sign another guy. That will end up getting you killed long term in the league.

He has also killed himself with FA's. T Jackson went there won the starting job, played with a torn pec and was out as soon as the season was over. Matt Flynn goes there and imo didn't get a fair shot at all. If you're paying him over $8 mil per season he should be the unquestioned starter and if he struggles then you look at Wilson. Seattle will be a hard sell to quality players as long Pete's in charge.

As for eating crow, screw momma and his fucked up logic. Flacco got the Ravens in position to go to the SB so to get rid of him for a rookie who's too short and untested is ludicrous. To draft him in the first round would get you shot.

Lastly, Wilson's been doing this against vanilla schemes and no one has even bothered to game plan against him. If he performs at a high level all year then I'll eat crow.
    I agree that Carroll is unlikeable and has some odd personnel ideas, but saying that Matt Flynn should start just because he got a big contract is silly. Pete Carroll is a pretty odd guy, but the one thing he does consistently is build a depth chart based exclusively on performance. He doesn't care about making his FO look bad or maintaining any kind of image or reputation at all.

If you start Flynn just so that you don't have to admit the contract was a mistake and make your FO look bad, even though HE LOST THE COMPETITION, you are not putting football first. You think players would rather play on a team where talent IS NOT the primary consideration in who starts and doesn't start? You're wrong--young guys WANT to play for Carroll because they know that if they play well they'll get a shot even if a multimillion dollar man is in front of them. All they have to do is beat him out.

Again, not a lover of Pete Carroll at all, but it has to be said.

Just because Wilson has looked great so far doesn't diminish the stupidity of the idea of the Ravens taking him in the first round any further. It was still one of the dumbest comments we've ever seen here and the fact that Wilson has played okay so far doesn't mean it was any less stupid.

Josh Gordon might or might not turn into a good NFL wide receiver, but it still doesn't make the decision by the Browns to draft him in the 2nd round any better.

10. Re: Hey mommatheregoesthatman - I'll eat some Crow.

That post was basically to give Russell Wilson some shine. So many people slept on this dude because he did not fit the "typical" frame of a qb. Of course i did not think the Ravens will select him in the first round like I suggested because we didnt need a qb but for posting and agrument sake i related him to the ravens. I did say he should be the #1 QB taken in the draft and that he was my highest rated player and qb in the draft. I understand Luck and RG3 being one and two in the draft but for teams like the browns and dolphins who needed qbs pass up on Wilson like they didnt watch his game film. Wilson without a doubt was and still is the most prepare rookie qb coming out this draft and he should have went #1 if not #2 in the draft. You can argue who had a better preseason between wilson and luck but he has outplayed all the other rookie qbs including RG3.

I am calling it out now the Wilson will be Rookie of the year. He will outplay and lead his team to a better record than the other rookie qb's. Out of all other rookie qbs his team is the best equip to actually make a playoff push. Seahawks have a pretty good defense and running game. They will challenge the 49ers in that divison.

But thanks Wicked I appreciate the love. Go Ravens!

I'll eat that crow as well...i thought he'd a better version of Seneca Wallace, which isnt bad. Thought he'd be a change of pace backup in the league but he's shown a stronger arm then i thought he had and his touch and anticipation has also been been bettr then i thought. Obviously he'll have to do it in a regular season setting but there's cause for excitement in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree that Carroll is unlikeable and has some odd personnel ideas, but saying that Matt Flynn should start just because he got a big contract is silly. Pete Carroll is a pretty odd guy, but the one thing he does consistently is build a depth chart based exclusively on performance. He doesn't care about making his FO look bad or maintaining any kind of image or reputation at all.

If you start Flynn just so that you don't have to admit the contract was a mistake and make your FO look bad, even though HE LOST THE COMPETITION, you are not putting football first. You think players would rather play on a team where talent IS NOT the primary consideration in who starts and doesn't start? You're wrong--young guys WANT to play for Carroll because they know that if they play well they'll get a shot even if a multimillion dollar man is in front of them. All they have to do is beat him out.

Again, not a lover of Pete Carroll at all, but it has to be said.
    I haven't read one report out of Seattle that Matt Flynn looked lost. If you pay that kind of money for a FA then you have to be sold on him through your scouting. To pay a guy all that jack and then have him compete against your FA acquisition from last year and a guy you drafted is the kind of bullshit you do in college when you can use scholie's on a blue chipper, a high profile 4 year transfer and the JC college player of the year who all happen to be QB's. The NFL has a cap for a reason and to pay $8mil to a backup is ridiculous.

Like it or not money does dictate who plays and unless Matt was a complete bomb (which I have not heard) then he at least should get the chance to play his way out of the position. If I am management or above (and Pete is basically it because he has final say), you have to ask does this guy understand how the cap works and that for $8mil they could've gotten a real receiver and maybe a pass rusher to help both sides of the ball. Instead we get Pete waxing poetic about stupid shit as usual.

Again, all the best players play and that young guys want to play for him is true only in Pete's world. Eventually those guys become veterans and don't want to be treated like they are on a year to year scholie. They understand its about competition but they also understand that performing one year and then because a rookie is a little hotter than you during training camp can cause you to lose your job can not only cost them their job but their long term future in the league. Put it this way if Ray Lewis played for Pete his ass would've been out by year 3 for someone the equivalent of Bruce Irvin.

That's Slick Pete for you.