Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

One of the Dumbest Talking Points Ever

Since the Ravens won the Super Bowl, I've probably heard fifteen different "experts" say that Jacoby Jones should've been Super Bowl MVP. Flacco had a 124 quarterback rating. Want to know how long it's been since a quarterback had a rating that high in the Super Bowl? 18 years. Not since Steve Young had 6 touchdowns against the Chargers. Yet people say despite that, he didn't deserve the MVP? Are you KIDDING me? Ha!

Oh, and you've got to love when their argument is "without Jacoby Jones, the Ravens lose that football game." Hmm. Interesting. Maybe. But hey, uh, do the Ravens win that game without FLACCO playing? I bet the Ravens get a lot closer to winning without Jacoby than they do without Flacco.

Silly people. Flacco had a higher quarterback rating than Roethlisberger did in his two Super Bowl wins combined.

Blog Entries

Re: One of the Dumbest Talking Points Ever

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Since the Ravens won the Super Bowl, I've probably heard fifteen different "experts" say that Jacoby Jones should've been Super Bowl MVP. Flacco had a 124 quarterback rating. Want to know how long it's been since a quarterback had a rating that high in the Super Bowl? 18 years. Not since Steve Young had 6 touchdowns against the Chargers. Yet people say despite that, he didn't deserve the MVP? Are you KIDDING me? Ha!

Oh, and you've got to love when their argument is "without Jacoby Jones, the Ravens lose that football game." Hmm. Interesting. Maybe. But hey, uh, do the Ravens win that game without FLACCO playing? I bet the Ravens get a lot closer to winning without Jacoby than they do without Flacco.

Silly people. Flacco had a higher quarterback rating than Roethlisberger did in his two Super Bowl wins combined.
    :word Flacco had a virtually flawless game. He was the MVP by far. There is no question in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post

Jones had a great game. Boldin also. Flacco was the guy who got the offense out the gate quick in the first half, made huge calls like the 3rd and 1 to Boldin that helped them keep drives alive that lead to crucial FG's in the second half. He deserved to be MVP. Jones and Boldin deserve the accolades they are getting for their respective performances. In that respect I am cool with the debate....its nice to see multiple guys getting recognition for their contributions
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

4. Re: One of the Dumbest Talking Points Ever

HATERS GONNA HATE, YO

Yeah, their argument is ridiculously flawed--especially since one of Jacoby's TDs came on a long bomb from who again?

Right, Flacco.

I will say that I wouldn't have been bothered if Jacoby had been named Co-MVP with Flacco, as I can see the argument that we needed both to win--because we did.

They accounted for 28 of our 34 points.

Baltimore ravens shocked the world!!!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

The name of the award is most valuable player. Jacoby was valuable, Flacco was the most valuable.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

The only thing I give Jacoby is...if you were looking for a flashy signature play to showcase Super Bowl 47...he had both of them. And let's be fair...he MADE that TD happen. He had the CB by a couple strides, but he had to practically stop to catch Joe's pass deep. Then gets up and makes the guy miss and beats the other defender to the endzone. SB record for most all-purpose yards.

That said, about half the Super Bowl MVPs in history are QBs. If it's even close, it goes to a QB. Only way a non-QB gets it is by having a completely dominant game. If Jacoby had scored two return TDs and a receiving TD, he'd be the MVP. Jacoby himself said Joe deserved it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

PA-37--
    You noted that some folks are saying, "Oh, and you've got to love when their argument is "without Jacoby Jones, the Ravens lose that football game.""

IMHO, I say to them that without the power outage, the game isn't close and the Ravens probably win by 20 or so points.

And without Alex Smith, the 49ers offense may have been worse off than without CK.

And without balls, the King would be Queen...;)

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jones is probably able to smile through his tears of disappointment :D at not being designated as the MVP for the SB....

when you think about it, he probably doesn;t fit into that car any better than Flacco!

Blog Entries

Had Jones or Boldin won it, I wouldn't have bitched. Flacco was deserving as well.

I'm still slightly in shock they didn't pick a 49er out of spite...

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post

They accounted for 28 of our 34 points.
    You could even argue that Flacco accounted for all 34- he may not have kicked the fg's but it was his play that got us in position to make them. The drive for the second was masterful and ended up being the clincher.

Jones had a great game, but Flacco was the best player on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You could even argue that Flacco accounted for all 34- he may not have kicked the fg's but it was his play that got us in position to make them. The drive for the second was masterful and ended up being the clincher.

Jones had a great game, but Flacco was the best player on the field.
    It is hard to say Flacco accounted for the 7 Jacoby scored to open the 2nd half.

Jacoby obviously did more than enough to warrant the SB MVP. Unfortunately for him, his QB also did more than enough, and the established precedent dictates that the QB wins SB MVP if he has a good/great game.

There was little to no chance that Jacoby was going to get the award, but that isn't the same thing as not earning it. The "experts" are delusional if they thought Jacoby should/would get it over Flacco.

This is hardly the dumbest talking point ever.

If Jacoby got the MVP, I wouldn't have been shocked in the least. I too think Joe deserved it but feeling Jacoby deserved the award is certainly a debatable point.

Take a look at past MVP and there's an obvious case to made that the MVP will sometimes go to a support player even when the QB has a decent to good game.