Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Except of course that lots of the time when people say that they ARE saying it to dismiss Joe Flacco. I've probably seen at least 30 separate people say something along the lines of "Joe Flacco is one lucky miracle play away from still being a nobody" etc.

Thank you. I am the only person on this thread to bring this up and that was my sole point.

When Ben hit Antonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone to win the SB on a absolutely perfect throw no one called it a miracle. Even Eli's throw to David Tyree was referred to in many circles as clutch. Joe's has been for the most part dismissed as lucky.

It's cool though because some of our fanbase think that he made a play.

Blog Entries

I want people who go blah blah people wouldn't even be talking about Flacco if it weren't for a lucky play/miracle play/single worst play by a defender in NFL history/blahblahblah to also downplay Marshawn Lynch's 77 yard touchdown vs the saints a few years ago. If it weren't for the entire saints defense turning into pathetic little wimps on that play, it would've just been a standard 1-5 yard run. At least five players on the Saints defense had just as bad an effort on that play as Moore did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    It's also called the F-bomb. We'll agree to disagree.
    Never heard that one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile_High_Miracle

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

You have to think in watching the play that until the last split second, Raheem Moore though he had Jacoby covered. Sure Jacoby was past him a bit, but who can throw the ball that far? Payton can't, that's for sure. His backup Osweiler can't either. I'll bet you look at all of Moore's games as a Bronco and all of his UCLA games and he never saw a ball like that. Until the last split second, Moorse surely was feeling that he had good position....but the ball kept carrying.

Miracle, shit. Miracle's strongly imply divine intervention and not human capability, human skill. But on THAT play, Flacco had everything to do with completing that pass. Wasn't a miracle. It was the F-bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Agreed. It was a miraculous play. I for one definitely thought we were very long shots to pull that game out before that down.

But it is a play that not many other QBs could have pulled off. It took incredible arm strength, quick recognition of the situation, and a big set of balls. There were other much safer options to pick up good yardage - Boldin and Pitta both - and they'd have had to rush another play. But Joe recognized that Jacoby was going to blow by the CB. He also recognized the Safety was out of position. Bottom line is the Safety underestimated 1) how fast Jacoby is and 2) how strong Joe's arm is. Joe recognized it and accepted the challenge!
    Completely agree. IMO, that's the best summation of that play I've read.

The only thing I'd add is the reason why Joe read Jacoby being open. Tony Carter failed to jam him at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Miracle, shit. Miracle's strongly imply divine intervention and not human capability, human skill. But on THAT play, Flacco had everything to do with completing that pass. Wasn't a miracle. It was the F-bomb.
    I agree. There was no devine intervention or luck at all on that play. It was all Joe. He was under allot of pressure. He saw that the safety was out of position to cover Jones. He stepped up in the pocket to avoid the pressure and unleashed a 50 yard bomb that will live in football folklore forever. They can refer to it however they like, but for me the "F-Bomb" best describes it.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I said on the money, not in the stands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

People are only accusing Moore of misplaying it, because Joe was the one that threw it. Had any other QB in the league thrown that pass, except maybe Rodgers and Cutler, Moore would have intercepted it, because it wouldn't have traveled that far (conditions) or that accurately.

A QB isn't supposed to be able to make that throw in negative degree weather in the high altitude. Moore didn't misplay the ball, he just didn't think Joe could get it that far, because no QB is supposed to be able to under those conditions.

Nothing miracle about it, in my opinion.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    A QB isn't supposed to be able to make that throw in negative degree weather in the high altitude. Moore didn't misplay the ball, he just didn't think Joe could get it that far, because no QB is supposed to be able to under those conditions.
    You keep saying this and I'm scratching my head as to why.

Altitude makes air less dense. As does cold temperatures. The more altitude and cold, the thinner the air, thus less friction.

Coors Field is a hitters dream for this very same reason.

As for "no QB is supposed to be able to throw under these conditions", Elway did a pretty good job it all those years. As did Favre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I said on the money, not in the stands.
    I thought you meant through the goal post from his knees, sorry...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You keep saying this and I'm scratching my head as to why.

Altitude makes air less dense. As does cold temperatures. The more altitude and cold, the thinner the air, thus less friction.

Coors Field is a hitters dream for this very same reason.

As for "no QB is supposed to be able to throw under these conditions", Elway did a pretty good job it all those years. As did Favre.
    Cold temperatures make the air MORE dense, not less. Don't know if it's enough to negate the effect of altitude in this case though.

Also, sub-zero temps make the ball a lot harder, they make the surface more "slick", they make your fingers numb, etc. Basically, a lot of things that are counter-productive to getting a good grip and throwing a football a long-ass way.

So I think his point was: Almost no QB in the NFL would have been able to hoist that ball 60 yards in the air under those adverse conditions while on the run. Moore wasn't expecting him to be able to do that, because almost no one save Flacco, Rodgers, or maybe Cutler could have.

Still not sure I buy this argument though: Seeing as how he WAS playing against Flacco and not a lesser-armed QB, he should have known. Therefore it's still his responsibility.
    Last edited by MarkS; 07-11-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Cold temperatures make the air MORE dense, not less. Don't know if it's enough to negate the effect of altitude in this case though.

Also, sub-zero temps make the ball a lot harder, they make the surface more "slick", they make your fingers numb, etc. Basically, a lot of things that are way counter-productive to throwing a football a long-ass way.

So I think his point was: Almost no QB in the NFL would have been able to hoist that ball 60 yards in the air under those adverse conditions while on the run. Moore wasn't expecting him to be able to do that, because almost no one save Flacco, Rodgers, or maybe Cutler could have.

Still not sure I buy this argument though: Seeing as how he WAS playing against Flacco and not someone else, he should have known. Therefore it's still his responsibility.
    Gotcha.

Thanks for clarifying.