Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Webb signs extension

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Based on the reports so far, it appears to be 6/$50M, so it may be even better - $8.333M/year.
    His 2012 Cap number is $2.615M, a reduction of $127K from what he was counting under the RFA tender.

The $2.165M represents a base salary of the veteran minimum (for a player with 3 years of service time) of $615K and $2M in signing bonus proration ($10M/5 years).
    Arent they contradicting statements?

Surely if its a 6yd deal the bonus is split over 6 years?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Arent they contradicting statements?

Surely if its a 6yd deal the bonus is split over 6 years?
    I'm pretty sure bonuses can only be split over a max of 5 years...no matter how long the contract is.

It's a way to prevent teams from abusing the bonus split.

ohhh that explains it
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm pretty sure bonuses can only be split over a max of 5 years...no matter how long the contract is.

It's a way to prevent teams from abusing the bonus split.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    now that is what i would say is a team friendly deal and closer to what i expected, but basically, if im not mistaken, theyre just adding his RFA tender to the 5/50 deal no?
    Maybe, we'll have to wait and see the final numbers, but the way it's been reported right now, is a total of $50M.

Webb is set to make $18 million in the first two years of the deal, $25.5 million in the first three years, $33.5 million in the first four years and $41.5 million over five years and $50 million over the entire length of the deal.
    http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sp...9bb2963f4.html
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yes!
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by BleedPurple92 View Post
    I remember Suggs taking 08 off, that was such a down year for him, right after his contract. Cmac was a perpetual lazy guy. I didn't surprise me that he slacked off a bit. I dont see that from Webb, he has already started his offseason workouts as per his twitter feed. He is a really hardworking guy. I dont see a slip up unless he gets injured, knock on wood that doesn't happen. Performance wise i can only see an uphill climb.
    I agree. Webb will always be outsized and mostly outmuscled, and he knows this. Can't see him slacking off either.

IIRC, he's a young pupil of the Ray Lewis Film Study school...which is probably why (more than anything else) he exploded this year. He's probably been studying the NFC east and other opponents since they were announced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Finnegan was known as one of the better CBs in the league, as was Carr. Webb has one year where he was good, one where he was average and a few good games at the end of his rookie year before getting injured. Carr and Finnegan have been consistently good for 4+ years so even if Webb is better, he simply doesnt have the history to suggest he is. I agree that he is better (probably not considerably though) and in all likelihood will be this year as well, but based on his previous credentials vs Carr and Finnegan i cant say he necessarily deserved more right now. after this season, if he repeats his success, absolutely because then he has more than one good season to support that he is infact that good and it isnt an anomaly.
    The way I feel is that CBs are usually pretty stable in their performance. I can't really recall many recent situations where a CB had a monster year then fell apart the next. Even if Webb doesn't continue the elite level of play, I'm certain he'll be an above average CB for the duration of the contract and if that is the case, the contract will still be a great deal, IMO.

I think this was a good signing, because if Webb played as well as he did last year and wasn't locked up we would be paying him allot more next year or letting him walk. When you compare it to the 3 big free agent CB signings this off season in Finnegan (5/50) Carr (5/50) and Wright (5/37.5) I think it looks allot more reasonable especially because Webb was easily better than all 3 last year. Basically if Webb plays as well or better than last year its a great signing and if he falls to the level of those 3 other guys it was still a good market price signing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I agree. Webb will always be outsized and mostly outmuscled, and he knows this. Can't see him slacking off either.

IIRC, he's a young pupil of the Ray Lewis Film Study school...which is probably why (more than anything else) he exploded this year. He's probably been studying the NFC east and other opponents since they were announced.
    Webb has tremendous physical tools. He can run with anybody downfield, has excellent recovery speed, and great ball skills. He's physical for his size and build as well. The only thing that ever held him back was his technique, which improved a lot in 2011. He still has a ways to go in terms of mastering the cornerback position, but that's not unreasonable to expect as he only really has 3 years of CB, 1 of which he was injured most of the year and still recovering in the next year.

If he stays healthy and continues to improve his technique, I think he could be an improved version of Asante Samuel with immeasurably better tackling ability.

For as dominant as Webb could be at CB, I have been thinking more and more lately what he could look like stepping into #20's shoes at FS. His instincts and ball skills remind me of Ed Reed, and I think he is an even better athlete than Ed was in his prime. There's greater positional value at CB, but I just think he could give us another 10 years of dominance at FS.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    For as dominant as Webb could be at CB, I have been thinking more and more lately what he could look like stepping into #20's shoes at FS. His instincts and ball skills remind me of Ed Reed, and I think he is an even better athlete than Ed was in his prime. There's greater positional value at CB, but I just think he could give us another 10 years of dominance at FS.
    There's no reason to do this. CB is so valuable right now in the NFL, and there is always risk in changing a players role. We know Webb is a great corner. That's clearly where his value is highest. Maybe when he gets older and starts to slow down this will be reasonable, but there's no way it's happening anytime soon.

DeputyDawg Guest

Jeff Zrebiec ‏ @jeffzrebiecsun
    The #Ravens have agreed in principle to a six-year deal with cornerback Lardarius Webb, according to a source.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012...-terms-on.html
    Alrighty Then !!!!! Now get Joe and Rice done.

Sweet! I don't have to worry about changing my subtitle!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.