Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Wildcat in Baltimore??

Just curious... as I now become more of a follower of the Ravens due to the Anquan trade I want to know if they ravens have ever used a wildcat in the past season or two, and if they do who whould run it. With 2 good backs a pretty good o-line and a wide reciever thats an ex college and highschool qb I think it could be run very effectively. I hope you guys saw what the Jets did against the Bengals with it.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Wildcat in Baltimore??

We run the Suggs package, so named because Suggs pimped his buddy Troy Smith for more playing time.

We put Troy Smith in on occasion and use him to run our version, but I am not a big fan as Flacco is a much better passer than Troy Smith and we can run the ball without a lot of BS. So we do little to improve our running game and really hamper our passing game when Smith is taking the snap.

Just my 2 cents.

Suggs package=Troy Smith Timeout Package. Whenever the Ravens are unsure whether to call a timeout, they send Troy Smith in there to confuse the offense and push Cam and Harbs into burning a timeout, as Smith works frantically to find his ass from a hole in the ground.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Cam has bag full of wildcats, but once Flacco was throwing the deep ball when and where it was supposed to be most of the trickeration went back on the shelf. Clayton has run a few WR passes that worked well as well as some crazy double reverse rugby looking action. If Q can still throw he will.

It really should be ridiculous what the O can do if they put what they have done occasionally over the last 2 years consistantly with now a much more veteran QB, O line, TE and now a very deep veteran Wr group. The playbook is huge, and at times we have seen all the power run plays you could think of, the wild cat and 6 man off set O lines. Flacco started the preseason last year running a 2 min shotgun O like 70% of the time and Cam was throwing the ball like 65/35 for the first 6 weeks. That was with Clayton and Washington in the 2 and 3 roles and Rice not having taken over yet.

Now that it is year 3 in the Cam system there should not be wasted time outs when he calls a trick play, and if for some reason the regular O is not putting up 28ppg or so then the trick plays and special teams should find a way to make up the difference.

There were a lot of over 30ppg outputs last year and beat down of the Patsies in the post, but the big 3 in the playoff loss showed the inconsistancy and exposed the weak spots in the WR and TE core. Fill them and it will be very tough to match up with the Ravens O. Q could still be getting 1 on 1 coverage like a #2 WR if the Ravens run game continues to run over solid 7 man fronts. Mason and Heap will be able to keep the underneath coverage from converging all on him and hte play action game should be sick next season. Stallworth and the slappies at Wr all have enough speed to balance the under neath body blows the run game and possesion passing attack should provide. The balance should be similar to the Saints last season or the Pats when they still had a run game, or young Peyton when they still had the Edge.

:T2:

Very good to hear. If we can get that perfect balance on offense and get 1 on 1 matchups we could put up some serious points this year and take some pressure off the defense.:)

Blog Entries

Be aware that while we may soon come to refering to Q,
    we have had a Q in the not so distant past, Qadry Ishmail, who is on some Raven TV shows. So it will take a little bit of time to adjust thinking, for some players also who played with the first Q.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Although The suggs package may not be "needed" it still made one of my fav highlights Smith throws to flacco as a receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mah8j...eature=related

And besides why reward someone with there name on a "Package" when they under perform. Other wise call it the Ngata package.

Quote Originally Posted by CR_Dingley View Post
    Although The suggs package may not be "needed" it still made one of my fav highlights Smith throws to flacco as a receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mah8j...eature=related

And besides why reward someone with there name on a "Package" when they under perform. Other wise call it the Ngata package.

It was a tongue in cheek package name. Suggs clammored and whined that Troy Smith should have more playing time (Suggs seemed to forget that Smith is the Backup), so they created the "Suggs Package" to utilize Troy in a somewhat pointless and mostly ineffective fashion just to silence T-Sizzle's griping.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    It was a tongue in cheek package name. Suggs clammored and whined that Troy Smith should have more playing time (Suggs seemed to forget that Smith is the Backup), so they created the "Suggs Package" to utilize Troy in a somewhat pointless and mostly ineffective fashion just to silence T-Sizzle's griping.
    Yea i know, I was just making a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by CR_Dingley View Post
    Yea i know, I was just making a joke.
    Ah. I am a dolt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    they didnt create the "suggs package" just bc suggs complaining about Smiths playing time. the package was in long before that it just wasnt used and the Ravens don't even call it the Suggs package. just the media and some fans do

Thumbs down Re: Wildcat in Baltimore??

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    the package was in long before that it just wasnt used and the Ravens don't even call it the Suggs package. just the media and some fans do
    Actually, Harbaugh christened it the "Suggs Package".

Hopefuly, it's gone from our playbook in 2010, whether Smith is traded, cut, or retained. The few times it worked was far outweighed by the number of times that it broke the offense's tempo, failed to gain appreciable yardage, or, in most cases: both.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).