Page 138 of 333 FirstFirst ... 136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 1,645 to 1,656 of 3987
    Blog Entries
    I still think Michael Williams would be an optimal pick in the 4th round. He blocks well, he is a solid receiver, he is a big red zone target, and is deceptively athletic for his size.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I like a lot of the players you mentioned, but I just don't see it playing out like that at all.

The problem with this scenario is that I just don't think the Ravens are going to be able to get those kind of value picks in trade. Although it's not a fool-proof standard, the trade value chart suggests that Arizona would be overpaying with their 2nd (520 pts) and 3rd (235 pts) to move up six spots (590 pts), so if I were the Ravens I would probably make that trade, too, considering Arizona's 2nd (520 pts) and 4th (88 pts) are more than the value of the Ravens' 1st (590 pts) - 2nd and 3rd would be a steal. Also, the Ravens' 3rd (116 pts) and 4th (44 pts) combined aren't worth anyone's 2nd rounder (last pick in 2nd is 270 pts). The Ravens' draft picks have to essentially be looked at as one round lower, because in reality that's about where they are drafting. I would love for the Ravens get that kind of trade value for picks, but I just don't see it.
    id did mention I think there will be great comp to move up from various teams pushing up the value.

Also the Vikings traded a 2 and 4 to move up six spots last year. So it's very plausible a 2 and 3 will happen with increased comp to move up and draft a QB before the others do.

Regards the trading back into the second, maybe we would need to trade a future second, and our own 3rd.

iggyman555 Guest

Free Agent List, gets updated pretty frequently

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...r-list-13?pg=1

I actually think a lot of those QB's will just be taken early...similar to the 2011 draft.

We thought teams would be anxious to trade back into the bottom of the first, but those teams just went ahead and overdrafted those guys in the top 11.

I see a similar draft this year.

While I think trading down is a strong possibility, I don't think it will be quite the haul that we may be assuming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

At least a third of the first round is going to be teams picking offensive and defensive linemen; perhaps as much as half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I actually think a lot of those QB's will just be taken early...similar to the 2011 draft.

We thought teams would be anxious to trade back into the bottom of the first, but those teams just went ahead and overdrafted those guys in the top 11.

While I think trading down is a strong possibility, I don't think it will be quite the haul that we may be assuming.

i think the opposite, but if that where to happen, then there is a high chance some great player will begin to fall and then I'd look to trade up, if the bills, Arizona, maybe even jets or Dallas begin drafting qbs, rather than Eric fisher, lane Johnson, etc if they fall to around 20 I'd make a move.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I like a lot of the players you mentioned, but I just don't see it playing out like that at all.

The problem with this scenario is that I just don't think the Ravens are going to be able to get those kind of value picks in trade. Although it's not a fool-proof standard, the trade value chart suggests that Arizona would be overpaying with their 2nd (520 pts) and 3rd (235 pts) to move up six spots (590 pts), so if I were the Ravens I would probably make that trade, too, considering Arizona's 2nd (520 pts) and 4th (88 pts) are more than the value of the Ravens' 1st (590 pts) - 2nd and 3rd would be a steal. Also, the Ravens' 3rd (116 pts) and 4th (44 pts) combined aren't worth anyone's 2nd rounder (last pick in 2nd is 270 pts). The Ravens' draft picks have to essentially be looked at as one round lower, because in reality that's about where they are drafting. I would love for the Ravens get that kind of trade value for picks, but I just don't see it.
    I tend to agree. Since the Ravens will get 4 comp picks they MUST use that are TBD, and our draft slot will be late. We will have 11 picks. I doubt 11 guys will even be close to making the team. I would consider trading our slotted picks for picks in the 2014 draft which you receive better value for. I agree that since our slot is so late, they wont have much trade value in this draft of 2013. Trade the excess for picks in 2014 could be better value for offseason trades or trade value next year or could bring better draft value in 2014. I would consider trading Dickson if we draft Ertz or Eiffert also.
    Last edited by Boulderraven; 01-27-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

You know, at one point I did agree with you, but I think that the QB's that everyone thought could be potential 1st round picks really fucked up their draft stock at the Senior Bowl. The only QB who improved his stock was EJ Manuel. As inconsistent as that dude is, I *could* see a team using a late 1st round pick on him because of his upside, size, and mobility.

Glennon, Nassib, Wilson...those guys were really bad. Definitely didn't do themselves any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You know, at one point I did agree with you, but I think that the QB's that everyone thought could be potential 1st round picks really fucked up their draft stock at the Senior Bowl. The only QB who improved his stock was EJ Manuel. As inconsistent as that dude is, I *could* see a team using a late 1st round pick on him because of his upside, size, and mobility.

Glennon, Nassib, Wilson...those guys were really bad. Definitely didn't do themselves any favors.
    I agree with WickedSolo, these QB's this year are really not first OR 2nd round quality. I dont think anyone will reach on these guys, even though rookies have done well the past few seasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    I agree with WickedSolo, these QB's this year are really not first OR 2nd round quality. I dont think anyone will reach on these guys, even though rookies have done well the past few seasons.
    Definitely.

If Tannehill were to have come out this year, he'd be the #1 QB easily. That's how bad this crop of QB's are.

I'm not saying that guys like Glennon or Nassib can't - or won't - succeed, but man...there really aren't too many guys that you could conceivably build a franchise around in this class. I mean, prior to this season, Landry Jones from Oklahoma was thought to be one of the better QB options available, but that dude has completely sunk his draft stock. While Walterfootball is kind of a "flavor of the month" website, they wrote that some scouts told them that they've completely removed Jones from their draft board. That's incredible. Last year this guy would have been a potential 1st round pick.

I bet Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray are kicking themselves right now, because those two guys probably could have legitimately pushed their stock into round 1. Especially Boyd (who I think is better than Geno Smith).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Definitely.

If Tannehill were to have come out this year, he'd be the #1 QB easily. That's how bad this crop of QB's are.

I'm not saying that guys like Glennon or Nassib can't - or won't - succeed, but man...there really aren't too many guys that you could conceivably build a franchise around in this class. I mean, prior to this season, Landry Jones from Oklahoma was thought to be one of the better QB options available, but that dude has completely sunk his draft stock. While Walterfootball is kind of a "flavor of the month" website, they wrote that some scouts told them that they've completely removed Jones from their draft board. That's incredible. Last year this guy would have been a potential 1st round pick.

I bet Tajh Boyd and Aaron Murray are kicking themselves right now, because those two guys probably could have legitimately pushed their stock into round 1. Especially Boyd (who I think is better than Geno Smith).
    You're using things like "logic", and "patience".

One thing that many GMs don't have is logic and patience...in 2010, nobody thought guys like Locker, and Ponder were legit first round guys.

QB is the one position where "value" can basically be thrown out the window.

I fully expect Smith, Barkley, and Glennon will be top 15 picks.

I think those are the only guys GMs will look at as "franchise" guys and they will all panic and take them early.

I don't think the rest will be in demand enough to make a GM make a trade like the one suggested earlier.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I really don't think it's going to be a run on QBs this year. They're just not good enough. Sure, Christian Ponder and Jake Locker went in the top 15 despite being 2nd round talents... but I just don't see it happening this year. I mean, Barkley, Glennon, Nassib, Dysert, and Wilson are all worse prospects even than Christian Ponder. Geno Smith to me looks like the only legit 1st round QB and even he grades out really as maybe the 25th best prospect on the big board.

The other thing is free agency this year. Alex Smith, Matt Flynn, Ryan Mallett, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb... even guys like Bruce Gradkowski and Tarvaris Jackson. All guys who will be available whether by free agency or cheap trades and might be options that certain teams feel like they could work with while they groom a future QB.

If I'm Bruce Arians out in Arizona or Andy Reid in KC I want to spend my 1st round pick on a BPA to bolster the team's overall talent. I'll get a future QB option in the 2nd or 3rd, where I won't be reaching, while I go into 2013 with Alex Smith or Matt Moore. Teams want to take a guy in the 1st and have him step in and play well right away but that's really forcing the issue.

I think the run this year is going to be on linemen... especially defensive linemen. I really think you're going to see a huge run on DL this year... maybe 15 or 18 defensive linemen in the first round. Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Jonathan Hankins, Star Lotulelei, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery, Sheldon Richardson, Dion Jordan, Ziggy Ansah, Jon Jenkins, Bennie Logan, Kawann Short, Sharrif Floyd, Margus Hunt, Alex Okafor... that's 16 guys right there and I think every single one of them will go in the 1st round.