Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Steelers offensive line is going to struggle a lot this season (again)

David Decastro was carted off the field last night playing against the Bills. It is reported that he has suffered an ACL and MCL related injury. Normally this spells a season ending injury, but I wouldn't count him out just yet, but it does seem like a serious injury that will at least put him out for at least a significant amount of games.

The Steelers invested a first round pick into Decastro and expected him to become an immediate starter and an immediate upgrade at the guard position. While Decastro looked like he was struggling a little, he was still a better option than whoever else they have, and now the Steelers offensive line will struggle big time against some of the pass rush they will be facing this year.

They are probably going to start Max Starks at left tackle again, as their second round draft pick this year, Mike Adams is just not ready yet. Max Starks is serviceable, but can easily be exploited, and was just turned inside out at times last year against the likes of Terrell Suggs. At right tackle they have Marcus Gillbert who is probably their best offensive lineman at this point, he had a great rookie year there. Maukrice Poincey, despite popular belief (particularly by the media) about being the best center in the NFL, is just an average center who is athletic and can make some nice blocks, but gets over powered constantly by the likes of Haloti Ngata.

I'm not at all sold on Roethlisbergers long term health behind this line, and the Steelers cannot afford to lose Roethliserger for any period of time, they need him if they want any chance of winning the AFC North this year. Although it's sad that Decastro has suffered this injury, and we should never wish a player to be out all year just because it may help us (even though a bunch of Steeler fans were laughing when they found out that Suggs tore his Achilles), Dean Pees and Mike Zimmer have to be licking their lips right now.

Blog Entries

Re: The Steelers offensive line is going to struggle a lot this season (again)

The steelers o-line always sucks. They have still manged to get to three SB's with ben under center. I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    The steelers o-line always sucks. They have still manged to get to three SB's with ben under center. I wouldnt get your hopes up.
    This! It's not the O line I'm worried about...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    They also had a better overall roster in those years than they do right now.

Roethlisberger is a year older and all those injuries that he's suffered in the past are going to catch up with him eventually if he continues to take all those hits.

What's your obsession with starting threads on the steelers oline

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    David Decastro was carted off the field last night playing against the Bills. It is reported that he has suffered an ACL and MCL related injury. Normally this spells a season ending injury, but I wouldn't count him out just yet, but it does seem like a serious injury that will at least put him out for at least a significant amount of games.

The Steelers invested a first round pick into Decastro and expected him to become an immediate starter and an immediate upgrade at the guard position. While Decastro looked like he was struggling a little, he was still a better option than whoever else they have, and now the Steelers offensive line will struggle big time against some of the pass rush they will be facing this year.

They are probably going to start Max Starks at left tackle again, as their second round draft pick this year, Mike Adams is just not ready yet. Max Starks is serviceable, but can easily be exploited, and was just turned inside out at times last year against the likes of Terrell Suggs. At right tackle they have Marcus Gillbert who is probably their best offensive lineman at this point, he had a great rookie year there. Maukrice Poincey, despite popular belief (particularly by the media) about being the best center in the NFL, is just an average center who is athletic and can make some nice blocks, but gets over powered constantly by the likes of Haloti Ngata.

I'm not at all sold on Roethlisbergers long term health behind this line, and the Steelers cannot afford to lose Roethliserger for any period of time, they need him if they want any chance of winning the AFC North this year. Although it's sad that Decastro has suffered this injury, and we should never wish a player to be out all year just because it may help us (even though a bunch of Steeler fans were laughing when they found out that Suggs tore his Achilles), Dean Pees and Mike Zimmer have to be licking their lips right now.
    Curious about where you saw Steeler's fans laughing about Sugg's injury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    What's your obsession with starting threads on the steelers oline
    Hey man, only started two threads about it.

It's gotta be a huge concern for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    Curious about where you saw Steeler's fans laughing about Sugg's injury.
    It wasn't anything serious, just comments on NFL articles, tweets and things like that, not anyone with an ounce of intelligence, I guess every team in the NFL has those types of fans though.

Blog Entries

I hate preseason, there has to be a way to scrimmage these guys without the season ending injuries.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    They also had a better overall roster in those years than they do right now.

Roethlisberger is a year older and all those injuries that he's suffered in the past are going to catch up with him eventually if he continues to take all those hits.
    This I do agree with. I've said before that I don't believe Jen is going to be one of these QB's that plays well into their late 30's. He's going to go the way of Steve McNair, all the hits and the beating is going to catch up to him and he's going to have a very sudden and sharp decline.

All the injuries (exaggerated or not), all the hits, the motorcycle accident, etc its going to catch him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I hate preseason, there has to be a way to scrimmage these guys without the season ending injuries.
    Virtual reality machines maybe?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Virtual reality machines maybe?
    a lot of teams are doing more scrimmages now like the Pats and Bucs did this past week. Scrimmage and cut the games down to two. It's a start.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!