Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Don't fall into the "Trap".
    :word

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post

IMHO, it's obvious why - Mattison played a less aggressive style of defense than either Ryan or Pagano, and fans hate that. The fact that it was necessitated by our sub-par secondary is largely ignored (Fabian Washington, Dominiqe Foxworth, Chris Carr were mostly crap. Ed Reed missed a bunch of games. Josh Wilson was decent, not great).

80% of fans seem convinced that an "aggressive" defensive is the correct approach 100% of the time, that blitzing magically cures every defensive ill, and that any DC who ever rushes 3 should be fired on the spot. In other words, the Mattison hatred isn't based on actual results, but on false perception and confirmation bias - well, that, and the degree to which fans just really, REALLY prefer watching the defense get after the QB every play. Blitz every play and give up 17 pts? Great job, guys. Prevent D every play and give up 17? The DC SUCKS.
    I think a lot of educated posters on here realize that Mattison's D wasnt flashy, but was effective. Though there were some head scratching moments, his D wasnt terrible at all.

I think the overall lack of speed on D made him have to game plan to keep everything in front of them and as a result, his schemes were very basic in nature. Similar to what Pees had to do this year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

Blog Entries
    Mattison '3 man rush' Pops

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Re: Our old pal Rexy boy on hot seat in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Mattison '3 man rush' Pops
    http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/case+in+point

Blog Entries

Total Bull. In '09 and '10, the Jets had a top-5 defense and a mediocre offense. Sound familiar? It's what we've had for like the past decade. And he got exactly the same results - close, but not quite good enough to win a SB.

The idea that he would have magically changed that script here, when he couldn't under almost identical circumstances in NY is just a fantasy.

ESPN agrees with me saying the talent base eroded leaving a roster filled with questions marks and uncertainty at the
    QB position and don't forget the Tebow fiasco.

And just one of many pissed off quotes from another board:

It was a stunning fall for Tannenbaum. Only two years ago, he was preparing for his second straight AFC Championship Game. Since then, the talent base has eroded, leaving a roster filled with question marks and uncertainty at the quarterback position. The ill-fated Tim Tebow trade also hurt him. They're also saddled with several bad contracts.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-ryan-keep-job
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-22-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    ESPN agrees with me saying the talent base eroded leaving a roster filled with questions marks and uncertainty at the
    QB position and don't forget the Tebow fiasco.

And just one of many pissed off quotes from another board:

It was a stunning fall for Tannenbaum. Only two years ago, he was preparing for his second straight AFC Championship Game. Since then, the talent base has eroded, leaving a roster filled with question marks and uncertainty at the quarterback position. The ill-fated Tim Tebow trade also hurt him. They're also saddled with several bad contracts.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-ryan-keep-job
    Stop. You're defending his record in 2011 and 2012.

I'm asking you why, in NY, with a great D and mediocre O in 2009 and 2010, he couldn't break thru, but you seem to feel that as the Ravens HC, with a near-identical set of circumstances, he would likely have won a SB.

And BTW - anonymous quotes from message boards about doghouses is probably not a good starting point.

Blog Entries

Stop. You're defending his record in 2011 and 2012.

I'm asking you why, in NY, with a great D and mediocre O in 2009 and 2010, he couldn't break thru, but you seem to feel that as the Ravens HC, with a near-identical set of circumstances, he would likely have won a SB.

And BTW - anonymous quotes from message boards about doghouses is probably not a good starting point.
    Neither is using ESPN as a supporting argument.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    ESPN agrees with me
    You lose.

in '08, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 244. (Ryan's last season)
    in '09, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 270. (Mattison, year #1)
    in '10, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 261. (Mattison, year #2. 2-season average, 265.5)
    in '11, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 265. (Pagano's only season)

The "Pops" Mattison distain on this MB is both epic and unfounded.
    I could not stand Mattison's defense. I thought it was a bend but don't break defense. I prefer a more aggressive defense that causes the other team to make mistakes and gets your defense off the field. I think the disdain is that his defenses were the opposite of what we saw under Ryan. It was also galvanized when against Shittsburgh in the playoffs he called the 3 man rush on third and long. That was what made Pagano a breath of fresh air the following year.