Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Our old pal Rexy boy on hot seat in NY

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It was HARBs job to go to the SB like he just did but missed so many previous opportunities like last year with 25 seconds left and the years before that vs Piss with 1-and 2- mins left in the games. HARBs couldn't get those teams to play 60 mins of winning football and with a great QB til now.
    Yeah, cuz if Rex had been the coach then T.J. Houshmanzadeh and Lee Evans would have been inspired to hold on to the football in those previous playoff losses.
    :grbac:

Seriously dude, I want some of what you've been smoking.

Wait a min. Ray always talked about wasting all his great defenses because the Ravens never had a QB and then we got JOe and we still didn't make the SB til now. That wasn't on Rex as D-Coord. He developed a lot of guys that left as FAs inluding un-drafted players Ozzie signed. It was HARBs job to go to the SB like he just did but missed so many previous opportunities like last year with 25 seconds left and the years before that vs Piss with 1-and 2- mins left in the games. HARBs couldn't get those teams to play 60 mins of winning football and with a great QB til now.

I'm just saying it might have been interesting with Rex. A lot of fans wanted it at the time including Ray and his defense. And a tons of fans are pissed at HARBs for cutting Pollard et al for locker room reasons.

BTW - my apologies, I meant to put this thread in the non-Ravens forum so if the MODs want to move or delete it, please do.
    As you can see from the next post the defense did not suffer all that much without Rex. So it was not as much about Rex as it was about the players. Really Rex road Ozzie's hardwork right into a head coaching gig. he has proven that he is in over his skis as a head coach and is on his last leg. Not sure how you expect that to have been more successful. He certainly has not fixed the offense up there and his defense has fallen apart. Harbs won his division in year 4 and 5 which shows that the team has progressed under him.

I'm just saying it might have been interesting with Rex. A lot of fans wanted it at the time including Ray and his defense. And a tons of fans are pissed at HARBs for cutting Pollard et al for locker room reasons.
    Lots of fans did want Rex. And they were wrong.

How many fans are in a ton? Many people are confused by the Pollard move, but I don't see a large # of them "pissed" at the coach who just brought home a Lombardi.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    Attachment 1581

Rex Ryan is a joke. Glad he's where's he's at, they deserve him.
    And kick'em!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Lots of fans did want Rex. And they were wrong.

How many fans are in a ton? Many people are confused by the Pollard move, but I don't see a large # of them "pissed" at the coach who just brought home a Lombardi.
    Somebody hasn't been reading this or the other boards or listening to the radio talk shows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    As you can see from the next post the defense did not suffer all that much without Rex. So it was not as much about Rex as it was about the players. Really Rex road Ozzie's hardwork right into a head coaching gig. he has proven that he is in over his skis as a head coach and is on his last leg. Not sure how you expect that to have been more successful. He certainly has not fixed the offense up there and his defense has fallen apart. Harbs won his division in year 4 and 5 which shows that the team has progressed under him.
    They just fired their GM for not bringing in the talent Ozzie has, so Rex hasn't had much and still got to the AFC Championship game twice. It took HARBs all these years to win with what Ozzie gave him. When I asked a Jets fan why didn't they fire Rex too, he said Rex has the owner wrapped around his little finger.

The title of this thread is Rex is on the hot seat.

Don't fall into the "Trap".
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Don't fall into the "Trap".
    LOL .....

They just fired their GM for not bringing in the talent Ozzie has, so Rex hasn't had much and still got to the AFC Championship game twice.It took HARBs all these years to win with what Ozzie gave him. When I asked a Jets fan why didn't they fire Rex too, he said Rex has the owner wrapped around his little finger.

The title of this thread is Rex is on the hot seat.
    Total Bull. In '09 and '10, the Jets had a top-5 defense and a mediocre offense. Sound familiar? It's what we've had for like the past decade. And he got exactly the same results - close, but not quite good enough to win a SB.

The idea that he would have magically changed that script here, when he couldn't under almost identical circumstances in NY is just a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    in '08, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 244. (Ryan's last season)
    in '09, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 270. (Mattison, year #1)
    in '10, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 261. (Mattison, year #2. 2-season average, 265.5)
    in '11, our defense finished #3 in points allowed, giving up 265. (Pagano's only season)

The "Pops" Mattison distain on this MB is both epic and unfounded.
    Wow this is like the first time I've seen anybody on a Ravens board have the same opinion of Mattison I have, kudos to you. I always thought Mattison got a pretty bad rap from Ravens fans and could never figure out why. When we got Pees to step up to DC everyone was like, 'OH NOEZ!1! MATTISON 2.0,' and I'd always say, 'Jesus, I can only HOPE this guy is Mattison 2.0,'.

Seems like someone was fishing for some attention.....

Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Wow this is like the first time I've seen anybody on a Ravens board have the same opinion of Mattison I have, kudos to you. I always thought Mattison got a pretty bad rap from Ravens fans and could never figure out why. When we got Pees to step up to DC everyone was like, 'OH NOEZ!1! MATTISON 2.0,' and I'd always say, 'Jesus, I can only HOPE this guy is Mattison 2.0,'.
    IMHO, it's obvious why - Mattison played a less aggressive style of defense than either Ryan or Pagano, and fans hate that. The fact that it was necessitated by our sub-par secondary is largely ignored (Fabian Washington, Dominiqe Foxworth, Chris Carr were mostly crap. Ed Reed missed a bunch of games. Josh Wilson was decent, not great).

Most fans seem convinced that an "aggressive" defensive is the correct approach 100% of the time, that blitzing magically cures every defensive ill, and that any DC who ever rushes 3 should be fired on the spot. In other words, the Mattison hatred isn't based on actual results, but on false perception and confirmation bias - well, that, and the degree to which fans just really, REALLY prefer watching the defense get after the QB every play. Blitz every play and give up 17 pts? Great job, guys. Prevent D every play and give up 17? The DC sucks.
    Last edited by MarkS; 03-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.