Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The OT situation

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    McKinnie is the obvious solution. Starks is not as good but he's got his head on straight and he's reliable. Something could be worked out for Dwayne Bowe, I don't think it would take 10m to sign him. He's 28 and I think they could structure a 3 to 4 year deal that is more cap friendly. I think the 3m that can be saved by cutting Leach is money needed for a LT.
    Dwayne Bowe? You mean Brendan Albert?

My big issue there is that you have to trade SOMETHING for him. We're probably talking a high draft pick next year. THEN, you have to work out a deal for him. On top of that, he's not a great LT. He's good, but worth the money he'll get on a new contract? Probably not.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Dwayne Bowe? You mean Brendan Albert?

My big issue there is that you have to trade SOMETHING for him. We're probably talking a high draft pick next year. THEN, you have to work out a deal for him. On top of that, he's not a great LT. He's good, but worth the money he'll get on a new contract? Probably not.
    Yikes, I fixed the brain fart. Ozzie isn't going to give up a lot so it's a stretch. Right now Albert is tagged, so I don't think they'll get a lot. I'm not sure how that works but can they release him and get out of paying him 10m if they don't get a deal done? Depending on what you read he's a top ten LT to high mid level. Not great, but a solid player.

Yikes, I fixed the brain fart. Ozzie isn't going to give up a lot so it's a stretch. Right now Albert is tagged, so I don't think they'll get a lot. I'm not sure how that works but can they release him and get out of paying him 10m if they don't get a deal done? Depending on what you read he's a top ten LT to high mid level. Not great, but a solid player.
    I highly doubt Albert is an option.

To get it done you would have to trade at minimum likely a 3rd round pick and then sign him to an extension. Yes you can structure the contract in a way to minimize the hit on the cap this season and fit him so technically both these things are doable.

Just cause it can be done though does not mean it should. Ozzie has to look at more than just next year. If you sign Albert to a deal that has a low number this season the bill will come due at some point. I think that is something Ozzie will do for a guy who produces at an elite or near elite level like Dumerville but Albert is really not that kind of player IMO. He is good but not worth breaking the piggy bank for.

I guess if Ozzie thought that this is the one missing piece he could just dive headfirst and do it but I am guessing the odds are against it unless Albert was willing to sign a reasonable deal.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    I guess if Ozzie thought that this is the one missing piece he could just dive headfirst and do it but I am guessing the odds are against it unless Albert was willing to sign a reasonable deal.
    I think LT is the one missing piece and he'd be worth a 3rd, but it's doubtful Ozzie agrees with me. Like I said, it's a stretch. I'm sure he wants to get paid, McKinnie says he wants to get paid. Ozzie will wait to get his price or figure something else out.

I think LT is the one missing piece and he'd be worth a 3rd, but it's doubtful Ozzie agrees with me. Like I said, it's a stretch. I'm sure he wants to get paid, McKinnie says he wants to get paid. Ozzie will wait to get his price or figure something else out.
    McKinnie can want to get paid all he wants but I think that's just a little bit of bravado on his part.

Secretly the dude is likely sitting at home looking at the phone and praying it rings. He is also prob doing this while wolfing down some Big Mac's and playing Xbox lol.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    McKinnie can want to get paid all he wants but I think that's just a little bit of bravado on his part.

Secretly the dude is likely sitting at home looking at the phone and praying it rings. He is also prob doing this while wolfing down some Big Mac's and playing Xbox lol.
    Apparently Bryant has been busy becoming the "Donkey of the Day" for "lying on your beefcake", whatever that means. In my mind this doesn't tarnish his image, just confirms he's still an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeslkvAzOCE

Just bring back McKinnie.

The draft didn't line up with our positioning at that particular spot this time around. Let McKinnie come in on another two-year deal (heavily incentivized) with workout bonuses, weight clause, etc., and do our best to develop everyone on the roster...then take another crack at it next year.

Is it ideal? Definitely not, but not every issue can be solved to 100% satisfaction in one offseason.

We got a lot better this weekend. Faster, younger, cheaper, and we have built to set the foundation for the next generation of long-term defensive leadership on this team.

We know that McKinnie can do the job, and we know that the Offensive Line (as a whole unit) is better with him on the field.

McKinnie is better at LT than Oher.
    Oher is better at RT than Osemele.
    Osemele is better at LG than anyone else we had there in 2012 (Harewood, Williams, Reid).

With the Offense seemingly transitioning to a younger, less experienced WR corps, Flacco is going to need as much quality protection as we can get.

I'm sure Harbaugh would much prefer a better, younger, cheaper, harder-working, more team-inclined player (so would I)...but sometimes you're forced to play with the hand dealt to you...and in this particular case, McKinnie gives us the best chance to run the Offense that Caldwell is installing to its maximum potential, and leaves two other players at the spot(s) where they're most likely to enjoy success.

Next Year's draft class is absolutely loaded at OT. i know Scout.com has 4 in it's early top-10 ranking. There was no sense in reaching for one this year when there wasn't good value.

There are plenty of options to put together a reasonable stopgap solution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Next Year's draft class is absolutely loaded at OT. i know Scout.com has 4 in it's early top-10 ranking. There was no sense in reaching for one this year when there wasn't good value.

There are plenty of options to put together a reasonable stopgap solution.
    That's good, but we should assume we're probably NOT picking top 10 next year :)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

KO is going to get a chance to win the LT job. I've been posting that since the Super Bowl and as time goes on it's looking more and more likely.

A lot of our players have stepped up in their contract year particularly recently. See Kruger and Grubbs.

It's Oher's contract year this time, I believe. Don't rule it out just yet that he might up his game accordingly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post

You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Oher should be the LT.

And watch about 500 people screaming WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? behind me...
    Oh knock it off.

I want to see Oher back at LT about as much as anyone else, which is slim to none.

My point was that if you have stellar play from the majority of the OL then you can game plan around the weak spots.

The Browns had a really good OL last year, but they couldnt run the ball well and they stunk passing the ball. The Redskins had issues at RT and guard all season long, but stellar play from LT, C, and LG made up for it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.