Blog Entries

Imagine how good we could have been with last years defense!

We are still SB contenders IMO, and our chances will be given a HUGE boost when Suggs comes back healthy. But I can't help but think just how good we could have been had our defense been the same as last years. I just don't get why we've left it this long to play great offense, it's as if the coaches have said in the past "well our defense is so good, we don't really want to take risks and play in a no huddle offense" and now that they realised that the defense can be beaten they have a top 5 offense after all these years of offensive struggles! Are there any doubts we would have at least been in the SB last year had we taken this approach? With last years defense we would have easily been 3-0 now, and it's not even close. I miss our big tough defense already. :DeadHorse:

Re: Imagine how good we could have been with last years defense!

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    We are still SB contenders IMO, and our chances will be given a HUGE boost when Suggs comes back healthy. But I can't help but think just how good we could have been had our defense been the same as last years. I just don't get why we've left it this long to play great offense, it's as if the coaches have said in the past "well our defense is so good, we don't really want to take risks and play in a no huddle offense" and now that they realised that the defense can be beaten they have a top 5 offense after all these years of offensive struggles! Are there any doubts we would have at least been in the SB last year had we taken this approach? With last years defense we would have easily been 3-0 now, and it's not even close. I miss our big tough defense already. :DeadHorse:
    Torrey Smith was a rookie last year. Jim Caldwell was still with the Colts. Chuck Pagano was NOT with the Colts. The Ravens could stop the run and rush the passer. Flacco was not in a contract year. Jacoby Jones was not on the roster.

I don't think the approach is any different, but it's a different season with different personnel. Both lines are very different from last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Torrey Smith was a rookie last year. Jim Caldwell was still with the Colts. Chuck Pagano was NOT with the Colts. The Ravens could stop the run and rush the passer. Flacco was not in a contract year. Jacoby Jones was not on the roster.

I don't think the approach is any different, but it's a different season with different personnel. Both lines are very different from last year.
    I disagree. Cam is letting Flacco do things he never did last year. Flacco could have played like this last year if Cam allowed it

Blog Entries

You CAN pour some sugar onto the porridge to make it taste better, but the porridge was already a good meal without it. Sure, Jim Caldwell, Jacoby Jones, and Torrey Smith's progression has made the offense more effective, more explosive down field, and has generally upgraded it. But I'm with GOTA, Flacco could have done the same things last year had Cam and Harbaugh allowed him to have more control and the no huddle. We had more than enough weapons to be much better in the passing game than we were, we wouldn't have been quite as good as we've looked so far this season, but our defense would have made up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I disagree. Cam is letting Flacco do things he never did last year. Flacco could have played like this last year if Cam allowed it
    I agree to a certain extent. Flacco has always had the ability to play like this. The personnel is better on offense this year. Torrey Smith is a more complete receiver. He runs all of the routes well and his hands have improved. Jacoby Jones is a huge upgrade over Lee Evans. Pitta is a year older and better than last year.

Not good enough to beat the Patriots.

Its too bad Suggs ignored the responsbility he had to his team and teamates under his contract and busted up his knee. We could probably be 4W and 0L and NOT HAVING this pass rush discussion at all. Lets just hope they can get to the bye week at 5W 2L.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I agree to a certain extent. Flacco has always had the ability to play like this. The personnel is better on offense this year. Torrey Smith is a more complete receiver. He runs all of the routes well and his hands have improved. Jacoby Jones is a huge upgrade over Lee Evans. Pitta is a year older and better than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Its too bad Suggs ignored the responsbility he had to his team and teamates under his contract and busted up his knee.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron