Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

I think they have been doing that "building around Flacco", drafting OL, WR's, TE's, RB's a new offense. That's why Cameron got fired.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post

So you want to take away 2 of the 3 main recievers (minus Pitta) that Flacco has chemistry with? Yeah, that should help Flacco out a lot. Besides, Jones hasn't had nearly as many drops as Boldin and Smith have!! If Reed and Leach would take a pay cut (which I highly doubt) then I'd welcome them back with open arms. Lewis will leave when he sees fit. I agree with you, I hope Boldin takes a pay cut because I'd like him to finish his career as a Raven.
    Well, for starters, no...I do not want to take away weapons for Flacco. What I am saying is that they are going to have to make some really tough decisions financially. The guys I mentioned are older and expensive. It is hard to justify big paychecks to guys who arent really producing like that. For example, the Colts resigned Reggie Wayne to a 3 yr deal averaging a little less than 6 mill per year, but Wayne has been on fire this year.

Boldin is still good, but is he $7 mill good? Im not so sure.

Regarding Jones: of course he doesnt have as many drops...he doesnt have as many targets. Doss has taken a lot of Jacoby's snaps, which makes me think that he may just be a 1 year rental because it would be hard to pay $4 mill to a #3 or #4 receiver.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoreraventerp View Post

My guess is they keep at least one of Boldin or Jones. If they cut both then the coaches will really like the young guys a lot and they draft a WR in 1st or 2nd round. I think the team will be in bigger rebuild mold if they trade Flacco than if they cut the 4 guys mentioned above. With no viable QB, we could be wasting Rice's prime years and history of RBs is they do not have many years in their tank.
    Exactly, look at Jacksonville.

Solid D. One of the top backs in the league (MJD). Decent TE.

No QB.

Completely wasted a lot of MJD's career.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, for starters, no...I do not want to take away weapons for Flacco. What I am saying is that they are going to have to make some really tough decisions financially. The guys I mentioned are older and expensive. It is hard to justify big paychecks to guys who arent really producing like that. For example, the Colts resigned Reggie Wayne to a 3 yr deal averaging a little less than 6 mill per year, but Wayne has been on fire this year.

Boldin is still good, but is he $7 mill good? Im not so sure.

Regarding Jones: of course he doesnt have as many drops...he doesnt have as many targets. Doss has taken a lot of Jacoby's snaps, which makes me think that he may just be a 1 year rental because it would be hard to pay $4 mill to a #3 or #4 receiver.

Boldin had 3 receptions Sunday, 2 for TD's. But he was facing a guy who was on crutches all week. I would of went after that matchup all day until it was stopped repeatedly. Bolding is good as gone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Boldin had 3 receptions Sunday, 2 for TD's. But he was facing a guy who was on crutches all week. I would of went after that matchup all day until it was stopped repeatedly. Bolding is good as gone.
    I didn't understand why we didn't abuse this match up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    P.S.- captain, stop with all these new avatars. Put up your old one, the beer label. That is the one for you. ;)
    Fixed it, but still new... got my Woody Paige worked out of my system. I was feeling euphoric over the Cam firing, don't worry, I'm back to my surly self ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I didn't understand why we didn't abuse this match up.
    Classic case here my friends. Just like Julian Edleman covering Boldin in the AFCC. Man I hope they move him to the slot and across the middle. I'd keep him around, restructure/ extend. His career here has been extended because he never really takes hard hit or delivers them the way he is utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's a darn shame that it's taken five years for them to even begin to figure that out. When you look at all of the top quarterbacks in the league, they are surrounded by personnel dedicated to making them the best quarterbacks in the league. The vast majority of them have teams built around them and their talents. From system, to philosophy, to talent.

Teams have decided to push to make their QBs great and live and die with their leadership.

Here? No sir. Usually, when a QB is drafted in the first round, there is an asserted effort to build the team around that QB, who likely becomes the face of the franchise.

We already had one of those here and his name is Ray Lewis. So, when Joe showed up, he was asked to not screw things up for the defense, while they relied on the running game again and again.

Fives years of this. Well, guess what, Ray can't do it like he used to and this defense isn't doing it like they used to and the Ravens got caught with their pants down.

They might as well accept the fact that Joe Flacco will be the new face of the franchise and make a LEGITIMATE EFFORT, to build the team around him.

It gets on my nerves when I hear this talk about how, "Joe will never be elite" and "It's been five years, he'll never change".

Nobody can honestly sit here with a straight face and say that the Ravens have made a serious effort to build the team around Joe Flacco. His head coach hasn't, his coordinator hasn't, it took them FOUR YEARS to draft a WR of Torrey Smith's caliber. Joe was basically stuck with Mason and not much else, passing wise, for three years. His offensive lines have gone down the drain. They take the ball out of his hands at darn near every little mistake. Yet, suddenly ask him to pull it out at the last minute.

I will say it. Joe Flacco's inconsistency starts with the inconsistent support his development has received from the front office.

It is completely unfair to judge this man, compared to QBs who have enjoyed far stronger support and commitment from their front offices, before he gets the same luxury.

This should have been done two years ago, but everybody swore that defense and running the ball would do the trick. Only for the playoffs to show up, Joe to have to make the throws, only to make them and have em' dropped, as if he's bringing a knife to a gun fight, which he is.

For four years, we sat here and talked about how Joe hardly ever saw a completed pass that wasn't perfectly placed. Meanwhile, Welker is snatching anything low, high and indifferent. Calvin Johnson is beating freakin triple coverage in the red zone.

The fact that Joe Flacco has accomplished as much as he has, given the circumstances, is impressive if you ask me.

Build an offensive system around him, give him a line and give him multiple WRs that can scare a defense.

Watch what happens.

This is what happened with Boller. The Ravens were a run-oriented team, with an offensive line built primarily to run block. He had one reliable receiver for most of his time here (Heap.) It certainly wasn't an offense built to maximize his abilities. Add an unimaginative OC (Cavanaugh), and you see what we got.

Hopefully, Joe will now get to play in an offensive scheme that fits his abilities. Note to JC - Joe can do well on rollouts, so use them.
    Al

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Brady and Manning are rarely sacked. Is that because their offensive lines are incredible, or because the QB is decisive and gets the ball out fast? How good is Wes Welker away from Brady? Brady still had a great offense when he was throwing the ball to a slew of ex- Florida Gator WRs who couldn't catch on anywhere else. Also, who have the Patriots had at RB? Danny Woodhead? Really? How good has the Steelers OL been for years? They have been pretty bad, but the Steelers continued to have very good offenses. For the last time, I think Flacco is a very good QB, who is good enough to win a Super Bowl with, but if the Ravens pay him what he wants, he is not good enough to make up for lesser talent that they will have in other areas due to the percentage of the cap that he will command.
    Wes Welker was brought in, along with Randy Moss, because Tom Brady's offensive weaponry couldn't keep up with Peyton's in the AFC Championship Game, where Caldwell dropped two would-be TD passes that Moss doesn't drop in a coma. That's when Brady's offensive numbers took off. When Moss and Welker arrived.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Why does this team need to be built around Ray Rice, when Rice hasn't done any more than Flacco has in the playoffs? I think that Ray Rice needs to be an extension of Joe Flacco, much like Marshal Faulk was an extension of Kurt Warner.

Look at what Flacco has.

Torrey Smith- Took them four years to draft him, he will be a good one though
    Anquan Boldin- Runs more hot and cold with the drops than Torrey did last year, and isn't even always being utilized properly
    Jacoby Jones- a 6' 2" WR who plays like he's 5' 10".
    Dennis Pitta- Heap 2.0, which isn't necessarily bad, but he wasn't drafted until 2010 and didn't see legitimate playing time until late last season. Great hands, good routes and adequate blocking.
    Ed Dickson-Can't block, can't catch

Offensive line

Oher- belongs at RT
    LG- Haven't replaced Grubbs yet, and are now trying to with a RT
    C- They just drafted a C last year. Birk has been left in there two years too long
    Yanda is the best player on the offense.
    Osemele- Just drafted this year and could move to LG

A risk averse head coach and a coordinator who has done very little to help him out schematically FOR FIVE YEARS!!!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I agree the offense needs to be built around Flacco, and it's not just a personnel thing. The scheme has to fit his strengths.

11. Re: The Baltimore Ravens need to be build around Joe Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Given that reality, why not continue to feature the RB, and have the QB be the complimentary player, instead of the QB becoming the focal point of the offense?
    This won't work with our O-Line which is not a strong run blocking O-Line or Ray Rice who is not an Adrian Peterson/Ladanian Tomlinson type of all-purpose power running back.

Rice is actually the complementary type of RB who excels as a runner when the passing game has opened up the opposing D so they aren't stacking the line and when he is a part of the passing game because he is being used properly--not just the checkdown option but also being used in screens and sent downfield on short routes into the soft areas of the zone.
    All examples of where he can get the ball in space.

Blog Entries

The Sword of Light has spoken.