Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

If we take a QB in draft WHO ???

If in fact the Ravens do take a QB in the 2008 draft who would you draft ?

I like Colt Brennen. The only concern with him is that he plays in warm weather. Second schedule is not always against top college schools.

Would like to hear others on this subject

GO RAVENS

Re: If we take a QB in draft WHO ???

Depends on where the Ravens sit in the draft.

if the Ravens are top 10, then it's probably going to be one of Brohm, Woodson, or Matt Ryan
    if the Ravens trade down in the first (with dallas?): then Ainge, Brennan, Booty, Dixon, Henne, Flacco
    if the Ravens decide to wait until the top of the second: one of those guys from the bottom of the first will be gone, probably either Ainge or Brennan
    if the Ravens wait until the bottom of the second or third: likely only Henne and Dixon there

So really, lots depends on where the Ravens ultimately sit in the draft and what else is around. For instance, if Ryan, Woodson, and Brohm are all gone by the time the Ravens are on the clock, then Cason or Jenkins (OSU) could be around. Maybe even Chris Long or McFadden if teams are really scrambling for QBs. At that point...wow, just HAVE to take Long or McFadden if they're around. Those two players are special. Well, and the old joke, the Ravens could run the McHog (McGahee, McClain, McFadden). Anyhow, there is still so much that can happen...we've yet to see the Bowl season play out, the Senior Bowl results and of course the combine....

At any rate, based on position here is what I like

1. Ravens in the top 10: I'd go with Matt Ryan...no one does more with less talent catching the ball than this guy. He also spreads the ball around. Question: what can the kid do with actual talent around him on offense? The best pass-catcher on the team is the damn runningback. So we've not even really seen what Ryan can do other than spreading the ball around and being efficient. Senior Bowl will be VERY important for Ryan to solidify his status as the most polished passer in the draft this year.
    2. Ravens trading down in the first: Woodson, then Brennan...this all depends on who needs what or who trades around. Maybe Minnesota is ok with Jackson, maybe the bears trade for McNabb. Woodson seems to be the #3 guy and might fall down the board a bit. He's also done a lot in a very tough SEC. Brennan seems like the one making the most sense after the "big three", sure call him a system guy....but a system guy doesn't make that throw 50 yards in the air to hit the WR in stride in the end zone. Also, did you know Brennan picks the play about 3/4 of the time at the line to adjust to the defense? To be great in the NFL players about HAVE to be film rats.
    3. Ravens picking QB in the top of the second: I still like Brennan, I am not an Ainge fan - if you watched the LSU game, the kid got greedy and went to the outside and lost the game when he had a WIDE-OPEN guy across the middle for a 7-8 yard gain. Can't gamble like that, period....and if he was that great he'd be putting up better numbers.
    4. after the top 10 in the second: Dixon - he's a little bit raw, but the kid can throw really well, check out this video of the game v. Michigan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qgy540sPnk ..the kid can throw. Yes, he's slight, but he's not going to be running in the NFL at all like he is in college.
    Last edited by ExiledRaven; 12-02-2007 at 01:27 PM.

Blog Entries

That Dixon video made me crack up with the plays where he fakes the throw and just hides the handoff behind his back. It showed like three plays where they did that and the D was TOTALLY fooled!

I think we should go with McFadden.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Still way too early, IMO.

Best player available is how they will pick. Now it depends on if they trade for position or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I think we should go with McFadden.
    I'd love it. Run the wild hog (The McHog - McFadden, McGahee, McClain) all the time. Also, run the offense like the Saints with Bush and McAlistor, lots of fun things you can do. Both McGahee and McFadden have hands too, so it could be fun.

Then in the second still shots at other holes. Or fill holes in free agency (CB from the raiders, sammuel, get that crazy chiefs DE, etc)

The Ravens always draft best player available, then according to their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRaven View Post
    I'd love it. Run the wild hog (The McHog - McFadden, McGahee, McClain) all the time. Also, run the offense like the Saints with Bush and McAlistor, lots of fun things you can do. Both McGahee and McFadden have hands too, so it could be fun.
    Exactly, it would give us an entertaining offense instead of this lame duck we got this year.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Not sure the only concern with Brennan is the warm weather, or if that is even a concern. His system and its transition to the NFL, or lack thereof, is much more concerning. He's accurate, but I definitely worry.

Also, absolutely ZERO chance Dixon gets drafted above the third round. It was iffy before his injury, and now he has a torn ACL he needs to rehab. And he still might play baseball. A lot of scouts don't think his game projects well at all.

Since we are asking solely about QBs, here are my favorites:

1. MATT RYAN (The best QB in this draft and its not even close).
    2. Erik Ainge (More of a project, but reminds me of Derek Anderson).
    3. Joe Flacco (Ben Rothlesberger type of QB).
    4. Dennis Dixon (But he wants to play baseball moreso than football).

Those are the only 4 QB worth getting.

Brian Brohm is overrated and all I saw was another Brian Griese.
    Andre Woodson is another Byron Leftwich. Boo.
    Colt Brennan? Please. Get real.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

I think we may need 40 times on these guys first. I'm going to wait until the combine before making my total mind up.

I think with the way our QB's have always had to run for their lives, it might not be that out-of-the-box thinking to see who runs the best QB option plays. I think we're going to need someone who has Michael Vick's running ability, but can actually complete a pass once in a while (Vick was a horrible passer).

That may be a workable solution for us. Whoever it is, they need to be EXTREMELY mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    Since we are asking solely about QBs, here are my favorites:

1. MATT RYAN (The best QB in this draft and its not even close).
    2. Erik Ainge (More of a project, but reminds me of Derek Anderson).
    3. Joe Flacco (Ben Rothlesberger type of QB).
    4. Dennis Dixon (But he wants to play baseball moreso than football).

Those are the only 4 QB worth getting.

Brian Brohm is overrated and all I saw was another Brian Griese.
    Andre Woodson is another Byron Leftwich. Boo.
    Colt Brennan? Please. Get real.

Ainge is nothing ilke anderson...much more ilke Chad Pennington...he doesn't throw the ball downfield at all. Anderson ONLY throws down field.

Dixon is good, but is he big enough to playt he way he'll want to play?

Brohm is by far and away the best pro prospect. He's, in fact, the only one i'd take in the first round. If Ryan is there in round 2, sure.