Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Team of the Decade

Question: What NFL team will ultimately be remembered as the team of the current decade (2010 through 2019)? Of course, we will have to wait until February 2020 (after Super Bowl LIV is over) to be certain. No SB winner has yet to repeat thus far this decade (Packers, Giants, Ravens).

Here are the NFL teams of the decade (since I have been around):

1950's Detroit & Cleveland (each won three titles)
    1960's Green Bay (won five titles)
    1970's Pittsburgh (won four titles)
    1980's San Francisco (won four titles)
    1990's Dallas (won three titles)
    2000's New England (won three titles)
    2010's ???

Except for one, all of the above listed teams won their first title (within the decade) by the third year of the decade. The Steelers won their first in the fifth year ('74). The '70 Steelers were 5-9. So it is conceivable that the 2010's team of the decade is not yet 'on the radar screen' (or whatever the modern digital version is called).

Nevertheless, I believe the Ravens are just as viable candidate as any current or projected contender. They should have gone to the Super Bowl the last three seasons. Their organization (front office, coaching) is solid. Their QB is still young with winning experience in the postseason. They have young, exceptionable personnel at key positions. And they have a proven track record in replacing celebrated players and in rebuilding almost constantly (due to free agency and salary cap). The question remains are they hungry enough and committed enough to maintain themselves as Super Bowl contenders?

CC

Re: Team of the Decade

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post

1950's Detroit & Cleveland (each won three titles)
    While the Colts won "only" two titles, few fans outside of Cleveland or Detroit would consider the Lions or Browns to have been the teams of the decade. The differences in how football was played, attended, reported in sports sections, and watched on TV was dramatically different between 1950 and 1959. The NFL in the early part of that decade still had vagabond teams (Dallas Texans) and unstable franchises, and few if any sellouts. By the end of the decade, the NFL had surpassed the NCAA in popularity and was about to overtake MLB. The major reason: the original "America's Team", the Baltimore Colts.

It'sway too early to think about the team of the 2010's. We certainly have a good start!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Our method will be simple. It's all going to come down to #5 and the team that Ozzie & Eric continue to build around him.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I think we're off to a good start.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    While the Colts won "only" two titles, few fans outside of Cleveland or Detroit would consider the Lions or Browns to have been the teams of the decade. The differences in how football was played, attended, reported in sports sections, and watched on TV was dramatically different between 1950 and 1959. The NFL in the early part of that decade still had vagabond teams (Dallas Texans) and unstable franchises, and few if any sellouts. By the end of the decade, the NFL had surpassed the NCAA in popularity and was about to overtake MLB. The major reason: the original "America's Team", the Baltimore Colts.

It'sway too early to think about the team of the 2010's. We certainly have a good start!
    Good point. It is still amazing that the '58 championship game aftermath was even celebrated on the Ed Sullivan Show (ruled the airwaves on Sunday nights) live from New York after the Giants lost! Talk about transcending the world of sports!

2010's- Well with the small sample size we have and just a hint of what is to come, I would have to say my guess would be Packers, Ravens, Seahawks, and 9ers. Teams built for now, and the future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    2010's- Well with the small sample size we have and just a hint of what is to come, I would have to say my guess would be Packers, Ravens, Seahawks, and 9ers. Teams built for now, and the future.
    Agreed. With the rules favoring passing offenses, and with Peyton and Brady getting older, a team must have an "elite" (boy I hate that term) QB to take advantage of the way the rules are currently being applied in the NFL. The Ravens and Packers qualify, and if Wilson, and Kapernick stay healthy, they should be included.

RG III may be the best of the young QB's but I do not think DC ( or Indy for that matter) has the front office to stay in contention throughout the decade.

Blog Entries

Ravens are winning 5 Superbowls this decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    No man, you got it all wrong, they're winning six!
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

No they aren't.

Don't get me wrong, we'll be in the mix for the next several years, but no one has ever won that many in a decade and we're entering year 3 with one so we'd have to win four of the next seven.

Good dream, but come back to reality man.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No they aren't.

Don't get me wrong, we'll be in the mix for the next several years, but no one has ever won that many in a decade and we're entering year 3 with one so we'd have to win four of the next seven.

Good dream, but come back to reality man.
    Click on my name, look at my started threads, and look at my Bold Predictions thread. I'll wait.

Click on my name, look at my started threads, and look at my Bold Predictions thread. I'll wait.
    I've seen them, doesn't change the fact that predicting a team to win 4 of 7 Super Bowls is simply ludicrous.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron