Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Should the Ravens draft a legit back-up QB?

Flacco's contract is essentially a three year deal. It will probably be restructured or extended after the 2015 season. The Ravens had no leverage in this contract negotiation with Flacco, partly because they did not have a viable alternative ready to go behind him. I want Flacco as the Ravens QB for the next 6-7 years as well, but what do you think about drafting and developing a legitimate back-up QB? I am not talking about a 7th round pick, but rather doing something along the lines of what the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins (3rd-4th round pick). It would be a good idea to have a better back-up than Tyrod Taylor in case Flacco got hurt, and it would strengthen their hand when the go to renegotiate with Flacco in a couple of years. At worst, if that back-up looks promising, they could flip that QB for a good draft pick in a few years. What do you think?

Re: Should the Ravens draft a legit back-up QB?

With 11 draft picks, it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a QB with one of them. Competition, even for the back-up job, is a good thing.

Plus, they will only control Tyrod's rights for another 2 seasons, and it would perhaps be nice to have a cheaper replacement for him after next year when Tyrod would become more costly as a RFA.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Who is it you want to draft and what round are you looking to draft him in?

Blog Entries

Bah, we won a Super Bowl with Tyrod, no reason to overpay. Plus, I imagine he is good at running the pistol for the scout team which will pick up in popularity for a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    They guy I like in this draft is Tyler Wilson. I would want the Ravens to draft him in the third round if he drops.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Flacco's contract is essentially a three year deal. It will probably be restructured or extended after the 2015 season. The Ravens had no leverage in this contract negotiation with Flacco, partly because they did not have a viable alternative ready to go behind him. I want Flacco as the Ravens QB for the next 6-7 years as well, but what do you think about drafting and developing a legitimate back-up QB? I am not talking about a 7th round pick, but rather doing something along the lines of what the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins (3rd-4th round pick). It would be a good idea to have a better back-up than Tyrod Taylor in case Flacco got hurt, and it would strengthen their hand when the go to renegotiate with Flacco in a couple of years. At worst, if that back-up looks promising, they could flip that QB for a good draft pick in a few years. What do you think?
    I think its time to invest in another QB. Im not sure this is the draft id do that though. I think we have Tyrod for 2 more years so that means this year or next. If the value is there sure, but im not particularly fond of any of the top QB talent in this draft let alone whats beneath them. I think we do need to address that though.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

They guy I like in this draft is Tyler Wilson. I would want the Ravens to draft him in the third round if he drops.
    I don't think Wilson lasts to the bottom of the 3rd. There just aren't many QBs in this draft. At this point I'm not even sure if Wilson makes it to the bottom of the 2nd round. If he was there that would be a good pick.

I wouldn't mind Ryan Nassib at the bottom of the 4th.

Dirt, you bring up a good point in your original post. At the moment, though, I'm thinking along the lines of a mid-round QB next year's 2014 draft rather than this year. I guess that does present a risk if Joe has a serious injury in the upcoming season. Tyrod is a low-cost backup, but not a guy you'd want to carry the team more than a game or two, tops. The other side of the coin, however, is do you want to use a mid-round pick on a QB right now who is likely to consume a roster spot for three years while holding clipboards & getting very little playing time? Unless -- you figure on cutting ties with Tyrod soon? I suppose that's a possibility...

Blog Entries

That'd be a great backup and YES they should address it if the right player is there late in the draft. Tyrod seems like a great kid but I'd much rather have a legit backup on the team.

Here is a list of possible QBs to draft this year: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/QB

Maybe Sorenson or Klein

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I don't think we need to draft a back up QB until next year. It's already been mentioned that the quarterback position is not as deep this year and there are lots of speculation on a handful of teams who may reach for a Qb one round too early.
    We may very well be stocked with a lot of comp picks next year. Better to address the back up QB position then.

Blog Entries

I don't think Wilson lasts to the bottom of the 3rd. There just aren't many QBs in this draft. At this point I'm not even sure if Wilson makes it to the bottom of the 2nd round. If he was there that would be a good pick.

I wouldn't mind Ryan Nassib at the bottom of the 4th.
    Or Landry Jones in the 4th. I guess the Ravens could wait until next year to draft a QB, but with 11 picks this year, I think it would be worth a shot. I don't think that they should wait past next year though, because they would want to have at least two seasons to develop such a player before they go to renegotiate Flacco's contract. I agree Tyler Wilson is not currently projected to last until the third round, but neither was Ryan Mallet last year. The Patriots took him even though they have Tom Brady.

Blog Entries

Sean Renfree...7th or UDFA. He was coached by David Rutcliffe (who coached up Peyton and Eli).

Colby Cameron out of La Tech is interesting...maybe in the 6th or 7th round.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.