Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Game Rescheduled

Again, that decision has nothing to do with the storm itself. The storm effected the travel of the team.

The time on which the game will be played will come down to power and flooding. Cat 2 is almost routine here and Houston sits 75 miles inland. Even it gets up to a Cat 3, the winds inland wont be high enough to create any significant damage to the stadium.

Friends and family in B'more keep calling and saying the news reports there are saying "Houston is being evacuated", making it sound like 4 Million folks are on their way out. This is partially true but as extreme as it sounds.

The south east side of Houston, the low-laying parts near Galveston Bay is being evacuated but that's it. Houston is a HUGE city in both population and land mass. The areas being evacuated wont effect the area near the stadium or the surrounding areas.

They aren't gonna play this game in Houston if things are bad. They'd rather play it there if possible. But clearly this is a move to allow them to assess the viability of keeping the game in Houston. They'll be able to know by Sunday whether or not they can park the game there Monday night, or if they'll need to move it.

- C -

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...#comment-95351

For those of you counting on DirectTV this may upset you a bit. I think this is garbage, but thank goodness I live in a local area.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

This absolutely sucks. I'll be out of town on Monday and won't be able to see the game. If things are going to be bad Sunday, then I don't see how they are going to be that much better on Monday. I would think flooding would be the main concern and that isn't going to magically fix itself in a day. They should have just played the game elsewhere or rescheduled it for the buy week.

It makes the most sense to play it here. You probably won't have a packed house in Atlanta or New Orleans. Up here you would have a full stadium and they could give the gate receipts to the Texans.

People, things wont be bad on Sunday.

That's what nobody is grasping. The storm will be sitting over Oklahoma by then. At worst, some folks in Houston wont have power.

The stadium wont be flooded. They are worried about other areas and peoples safety getting to and from the stadium. But the stadium itself is going to be fine. The one day move was prudent. It allowed a days worth of clean up and prep should the storm had intensified. It's didnt and most models show that it wont.

I just believe Houston will have more important things to worry about then a football game Monday. I hope I'm wrong but this is looking more omnious with eveyr update. HoustonRaven, stay safe & I hpoe you're right, but it's not looking that way. I know Houston is 75 miles inland, but I was watching your ABC affiliate online since they are doing that now, & they were saying winds over 100 MPH. That just can't be good for the infrastructure, including the stadium. +, even if the game is 2 days after the storm, cleanup & power can't be done that quickly after major damage. Not to metion the people that are still there. Are they going to go to a game after their house has been damaged or destroyed? How about all the support people, are they just going to show up @ the stadium? The police & fire are going to be worried about the game when they'll have more pressing needs?

As far as Sunday ticket, that's just wrong especially since there is precedence for it from 11 years ago. Florio's article is good except for the part about Ravens fans outside of Baltimore. I think there are more than he & the national media believe.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    I just believe Houston will have more important things to worry about then a football game Monday. I hope I'm wrong but this is looking more omnious with eveyr update. HoustonRaven, stay safe & I hpoe you're right, but it's not looking that way. I know Houston is 75 miles inland, but I was watching your ABC affiliate online since they are doing that now, & they were saying winds over 100 MPH. That just can't be good for the infrastructure, including the stadium. +, even if the game is 2 days after the storm, cleanup & power can't be done that quickly after major damage. Not to metion the people that are still there. Are they going to go to a game after their house has been damaged or destroyed? How about all the support people, are they just going to show up @ the stadium? The police & fire are going to be worried about the game when they'll have more pressing needs?

As far as Sunday ticket, that's just wrong especially since there is precedence for it from 11 years ago. Florio's article is good except for the part about Ravens fans outside of Baltimore. I think there are more than he & the national media believe.
    Yeah I commented on that little snide comment that Florio threw in there, but he has been saying all preseason that it wouldn't surprise him if the Ravens won the division...so I cut him a little slack lol.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

Pro Football Talk says now after confirming w/ the NFL that the reason the game won't be on Sunday Ticket is because of ESPN's exclusive prime time Monday night rights. What a bunch of idiots in Bristol. While this doesn't affect me, I am pissed for all my fellow Ravens brothers & sisters outside the area. In case those of you who are here are wondering, the game will be on WJZ of course, but also WHP from Harrisburg, WBOC from Salisbury & WUSA in DC.

Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by obannon35 View Post
    Yeah I commented on that little snide comment that Florio threw in there, but he has been saying all preseason that it wouldn't surprise him if the Ravens won the division...so I cut him a little slack lol.
    Yea, Florio is a smart ass but his stuff is right on, perhaps the best NFL (non team related of course) on the net. + you're correct, he has been saying the Ravens are the darhorse in the North.

PAR,

Im watching ABC as well and it's all about Galveston, not Houston.

Inland winds wont get higher then around 75-80 mph. The worst of it will be areas to the east of I-45, well away from the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    PAR,

Im watching ABC as well and it's all about Galveston, not Houston.

Inland winds wont get higher then around 75-80 mph. The worst of it will be areas to the east of I-45, well away from the stadium.
    Good, I hope that holds true HR.

As far as the Sunday Ticket issue, at the end of the story about ESPN's exclusive prime time Monday Night rights, there is a link to send your complaints to ESPN from blocking the game from being shown on Sunday Ticket. I sent 1 & encorage every1, even if it doesn't affect you, to do the same to help out Ravens fans outside the market.
    Last edited by PARavensJeff; 09-12-2008 at 10:58 AM.

What if the sky falls on the stadium?