Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Full rebuild mode seriously? It's day 3 of free agency.
    LOL. Some people... Do they realize our offense will more than likely improve from last year and our defense will be faster? So what we lost some guys who played well in our system. Next man up.

Blog Entries

Suggs, Ngata, Upshaw, Webb, Art Jones, McPhee, C. Graham, Jimmy Smith, Canty, C. Brown, and youngsters = Tyson/Hall (DTs), O. Brown/C. Thompson (Safetys), McClellan/Bynes/A. Hamilton/Carr/McAdoo (LBs), plus 12 draft picks and some (as of yet) unknown FA signings.
    While I didn't mention McClain (coming off injury), this is still a solid defensive foundation... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Suggs, Ngata, Upshaw, Webb, Art Jones, McPhee, C. Graham, Jimmy Smith, Canty, C. Brown, and youngsters = Tyson/Hall (DTs), O. Brown/C. Thompson (Safetys), McClellan/Bynes/A. Hamilton/Carr/McAdoo (LBs), plus 12 draft picks and some (as of yet) unknown FA signings.
    While I didn't mention McClain (coming off injury), this is still a solid defensive foundation... Bc
    Well said.

Suggs should hopefully be at full health and know they are looking to him to set the tone. I expect him to come into camp in shape and ready to go beast mode.

Upshaw should come in also in better shape. As I recall he was a little soft early on till he got his playing legs under him.

Ngata will benefit from having Canty on the line with him. I think people underestimate this. Canty is a good player himself but he also helps Ngata.

Adding Canty should also occupy blockers making it more likely they can get maximum productivity out of whoever they bring in at ILB be it vet or rookies.

We obviously need OLB depth but the foundations for a good unit are there.

Safety needs to be addressed but there are still viable FA options out there and its a deep draft class at the position

Its not all doom and gloom as some predict. I think they will get increased production out of some areas and decreased in other areas while they gell and learn.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    I like a lot of your suggestions.
    1. Although Phillips was just signed by the Eagles, I would like to have a vet FS on the backend.
    2. Mathieu is going to be a MAJOR playmaker. If we are re-building this defense, we need someone like him who can really change the momentum. The bonus is that he does it w/out bone-jarring hits which is something the league is trying to move towards.
    3. We need a top 5 ILB from the draft along with an FA (Pray for Brad Jones) . I don't trust McClain.
    4. Love the Jenkins pick. An athletic speed rusher in the mid-rounds would be a perfect compliment to Upshaw and replacement for Kruger.
    5. I agree with the selection of a big DT in this draft. It's a deep class and I bet someone falls to us in the late 2nd/early 3rd.
    FFS Kenny Phillips GONE!

Oh well, time to join the Michael Huff train.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Look, I have kept mum on most of the sky is falling business around here but I am going to break it down.

I will miss Q and any and all of the Ravens who either move on to greener pa$ture$ or are cut by the team. I forgot whom it was that stated the new plan of how the team will build around a franchise QB like New England does, but they were right.

I would like to add to that notion. It has been argued here on another thread that Harrison would be a bad pick up because he is a dirty player. Fair enough. But that type of play, the hitting and trying to dislodge the ball with a "BIG HIT" is going to be going away. Just like the rules have changed from 12 years ago from the Ravens record setting defense, it will evolve in the next 12.

The NFL is fast becoming the arena league. It is all going to become about passing and stopping the pass. WR and DB's are going to be interchangeable pawns with speed. You'll get the occasional anomaly at tight end, but on the whole, there ill be no more "big hits" it is going to become about sure tackling and ripping the ball away from the ball carrier. Hence, players like Pollard are going the way of the dinosaur. Even Ray Lewis is going to be remembered as people think of Butkus and what he got away with decades ago.

The offensive and defensive lines are going to become premium places of cost and action after QB's. This will be one of the last places the game really changes and it will evolve in the way of illegal chop blocks from the o-line and less leeway for defensive line players on hitting the quarterback as is already ever present.

Five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, it is going to turn into almost flag football. Even running back has been devalued over the years. The ability to catch is almost as important as it is to run - Ray Rice/Reggie Bush. This again like the tight end still has a places for players like AP. But overall, this is the progression of the game.

It is my belief, that based upon the evolution of the game, suggestions of the competition committee, the problem with concussions and safty as well as Roger Goodell's comments about making the game safer draw me to this conclusion: Ozzie Newsome thinks along these lines and is building a team to reflect the evolution of the game.

Think outside the box my friends.
    I do not remember ever agreeing more.

The Ravens have to rebuild the defense and the roster to have a shot of repeating or improving on the last five years. Our guys got a ring and most of them will get good coin elsewhere. I am very interested to see what happens next, but also am more confident than ever that the team knows what they should do.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    I agree with the selection of a big DT in this draft. It's a deep class and I bet someone falls to us in the late 2nd/early 3rd.
    I think the Ravens could wait until the 4th or 5th round and end up with one of these guys - all with flaws, but all with upside (that may be the best to hope for in a mid-rounder, and all three are huge):

Montori Hughes (Tennessee-Martin)
    TJ Barnes (Georgia Tech)
    Kwame Geathers (Georgia)

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say that the roster needs rebuilding. We just need to bring in some new pieces to certain posistions like ILB and safety.

Rebuilding is for teams without a QB and severally lacking in talent that just went 4-12 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Anybody think they might be shopping Suggs or Ngata for draft picks? They seem to be in full rebuild mode.
    Actually I think this is a real possibility now. Maybe not Ngata but I would not be surprised at all if Oz pulls off a draft day trade that includes Suggs.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

People need to understand the cap ramifications when you start consider trading guys like Suggs.

It's not happening.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    FFS Kenny Phillips GONE!

Oh well, time to join the Michael Huff train.
    Huff is pretty solid too. I'm keeping my eyes on Louis Delmas. For some reason, I think someone will end up getting away with a steal for him.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I think the Ravens could wait until the 4th or 5th round and end up with one of these guys - all with flaws, but all with upside (that may be the best to hope for in a mid-rounder, and all three are huge):

Montori Hughes (Tennessee-Martin)
    TJ Barnes (Georgia Tech)
    Kwame Geathers (Georgia)
    Yeah, I threw in early selection because it would mean we'd be selecting someone to contend for a starting position. We would be able to do so if we got a great deal in trading out of the first, which I hope we do. All we really need is someone to come in and be a good run-stopper on 1st and 2nd downs. Hopefully, Mount Cody steps it up.

Blog Entries

Captain Silver, The Voice of Reason...

Why,oh why did I think I would never be typing those two phrases in the same sentence without a right behind.

(JK. Nice work, Cap.)