Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A reminder

Re: A reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    Not true - he had 2015 tradeable picks available - knowing full well he was going to get at least three comp picks for 2015.
    Didn't realize Terrence West was the only running back left in the draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Didn't realize Terrence West was the only running back left in the draft.
    I think he was ranked higher than the remaining ones, but that being said, I'm wondering if his value on Ozzie's board was less than 49ers pick.

West was a player a lot of people from Baltimore liked, but in the whole RB class, rates pretty equal with guys remaining.

If he wasn't from Baltimore, it'd be a non-story
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We all WANTED WR, but with the Steve Smith signing and Marlon Brown's emergence, it wasn't that big a need.

What we NEED is depth at WR to develop to replace Smith and Jacoby. Still plenty of time for that in a deep draft, and we have Mellette on top of that as well.
    And we have no idea how Aaron Mellette plays into this offensive equation. I'm not entirely convinced that he will ever be anything, but he made some nice plays during pre-season last year. Maybe we finally develop a late round receiver?

I think Bobby Engram will be huge for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And we have no idea how Aaron Mellette plays into this offensive equation. I'm not entirely convinced that he will ever be anything, but he made some nice plays during pre-season last year. Maybe we finally develop a late round receiver?

I think Bobby Engram will be huge for this.

And speaking of Bobby Engram...coming from Pitt...

Devin Street from Pitt in this draft. I'm sure he's in ears of everyone there, talking about him. I get a feeling if he's around in 4th or 5th round, he could be the pick
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I would like Street. He's got some wheels on him.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Last year is over. The Ravens certainly didn't win the Super Bowl the year before because of their defense. Don't model the team on what worked this past year. The best teams anticipate what will work in the future. Honestly that's what I think the Ravens are looking at. They are trying to see past Ngata and recreate this defense into something that will be very different in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think he was ranked higher than the remaining ones, but that being said, I'm wondering if his value on Ozzie's board was less than 49ers pick.

West was a player a lot of people from Baltimore liked, but in the whole RB class, rates pretty equal with guys remaining.

If he wasn't from Baltimore, it'd be a non-story
    Indeed. There are several RBs left that I like better as prospects (Carey, Seastrunk, Thomas, Crowell, Williams). Maybe West turns out to be a good player, but it's silly to assert Ozzie was screwed by Cleveland taking him. There are plenty of good prospects left at the position.

Seattle and SF also are paying their QB peanuts, have great FOs and great coaches and hit some serious draft homeruns.

The whole issue about addressing the offense, imo, springs from us totally breaking the franchise's tradition regarding paying for a QB. I don't know of anyone who believes great defense and milquetoast offense cannot win a SB. The issue is whether you can afford/create a great defense and a non-putrid offense while paying your QB 10-15% of the cap.

Blog Entries

Seattle's historically great defense doesn't change the fact that nearly every SB winner for the past decade has had a good to great offense led by an elite QB with good to great weapons around him. Be it Rodgers and his crew, Brees and his, Eli and Cruz, Ben and Ward/Holmes/Miller, Manning and his guys, Brady, etc, etc. Sure, defense plays a role, and a couple of those teams had pretty good defenses, but for the most part those teams won because their offenses were great. Trying to put together a team in Seattle's image is risky to me and will likely lead to failure, and I don't believe Ozzie's intention is to do that.

I'll say again I like this draft other than the Jernigan pick, but those who are knocking it and wishing for more offensive help are totally valid in their concern IMO.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    Indeed. There are several RBs left that I like better as prospects (Carey, Seastrunk, Thomas, Crowell, Williams). Maybe West turns out to be a good player, but it's silly to assert Ozzie was screwed by Cleveland taking him. There are plenty of good prospects left at the position.
    I'd be happy with Seastrunk or Carey. If by Thomas you mean De'Anthony, I am very curious about him. He has excellent hands and to me looks quite comfortable as a slot WR. Maybe not consistent enough as a WR in the NFL. Don't know what the Ravens would do with him, but Kubiaks' offense (which may not be a carbon copy of what he's done in the past, lets bear in mind) might have a wrinkle to accommodate.

Crowell worries me, but has talent. In that vein, I'd look at Damien Williams of Oklahoma. NFL.com has a pretty negative write up, but in fact he is one of the most electrifying athletes at the position. Heading into the season he was Phil Steele's #2 rated pro RB prospect. He ended up splitting time and getting kicked off the team, but NFL.com has nothing in its writeup about his ability, only his downsides, which makes me think they only scouted this season. He could very well be this year's Darren Sproles, provided that the negative things about his work ethic prove to be symptoms of his relationship with Stoops during his senior season, and nothing more.

He is such a fantastic athlete he is going to be hard to ignore / pass up late on.

**EDIT: or is that the Williams you had in mind?

Brady has never won a Super Bowl with great weapons.

In 2002, he had Troy Brown, David Patten, and Deion Branch as his 3 biggest weapons.
    In 2004 he had Patten, Branch, and David Givens
    In 2005, it was Branch, Givens, and Brown

Rodgers' crew had one WR that had ever hit 1000 yards prior to that season (Jennings). None of the other WRs had ever broken 700 yards. Rodgers made them into weapons.

Manning didn't have Cruz for his first run, and didn't have a receiver break 600 yards that season.
    In his second run, he did indeed have Cruz. When was he drafted?

Ward/Holmes/Miller is not better than Smith/Smith/Pitta. It's actually a remarkably similar makeup.

Brees had an innovative offense and a stud in Colston surrounded by a bunch of also-rans like Devery Henderson, Robert Meacham, and Lance Moore. Shockey was their top TE and Graham wasn't half the player he is now.

So this whole thing about great QBs with tons of weapons winning Super Bowls is a myth.
    Last edited by Mizerooskie; 05-10-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I'd be happy with Seastrunk or Carey. If by Thomas you mean De'Anthony, I am very curious about him. He has excellent hands and to me looks quite comfortable as a slot WR. Maybe not consistent enough as a WR in the NFL. Don't know what the Ravens would do with him, but Kubiaks' offense (which may not be a carbon copy of what he's done in the past, lets bear in mind) might have a wrinkle to accommodate.

Crowell worries me, but has talent. In that vein, I'd look at Damien Williams of Oklahoma. NFL.com has a pretty negative write up, but in fact he is one of the most electrifying athletes at the position. Heading into the season he was Phil Steele's #2 rated pro RB prospect. He ended up splitting time and getting kicked off the team, but NFL.com has nothing in its writeup about his ability, only his downsides, which makes me think they only scouted this season. He could very well be this year's Darren Sproles, provided that the negative things about his work ethic prove to be symptoms of his relationship with Stoops during his senior season, and nothing more.

He is such a fantastic athlete he is going to be hard to ignore / pass up late on.

**EDIT: or is that the Williams you had in mind?
    I think De'Anthony Thomas will be the Sproles-type player. I don't buy into his 40 time at all. He's much much faster than that with pads on. I've been on him for a while, because the tape is just so damn good. Line him up in the slot, on punt returns, or in the backfield and he can contribute. That's great value at this point in the draft.

I actually had Andre Williams in mind, but Damien is a good consideration as well.