Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: I honestly think the Ravens should double-dip at WR this year

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We are? The Ravens were 8th in passing attempts last season. They will try to run more this year but they don't have the o-line to be a run first team.
    They passed so often because the run blocking was atrocious. We then hired one of the most run-committed play callers in football to be our Offensive Coordinator, so I would say the answer is clearly yes.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    If we double-dip, it should be at OL.
    Yeah, I think Zach Martin is a real possibility, but if not I can see the Ravens going after an OT/OG and a C in this draft. Swanson, Richburg and Martin are all possibilities between the 2nd and 4th round at center (or even Tyler LArsen in the 5th or 6th), and the 2nd/3rd rounds are full of guys like Su'a-Filo, Jackson, Thomas at guard and Bitonio, Turner, Richardson, Hurst at tackle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    If we double-dip, it should be at OL. Here's what I see:

RECEIVERS:
    T Smith
    S Smith
    Marlon
    Jacoby
    Pitta
    ----------------
    RESERVES
    Dickson
    Deonte
    Mellette
    Furstenberg

O LINE:
    LT -- Monroe.
    LG -- KO. (Back injury healed?)
    C -- GG.
    RG -- Yanda.
    RT -- Wagner
    -----------------------
    RESERVES:
    Jah
    Shipley
    Jensen

Focusing only on the draft -- that's the topic -- which unit do YOU think needs more help?
    First of all the biggest problem I see with that lineup is GG at C. It's NOT gonna happen, or at least it better not or myself and a lot of the fan base will lose interest in the season very quickly.

NM, I just got it. Sorry slow day. I think they BOTH need help and badly. Although the OL weak point is only GG. I'm fine with the rest and apparently the coaching staff is also. We need some depth. The "receivers" group you've thrown up, Torrey is a mediocre #1 WR. Than we have a 35 yr old who might or might not be here the year after, Marlon who even the best upside projection is a middle of the pack #2, Jacoby who won't, and shouldn't be much of a target this year and than Pitta who's a pretty damn good TE but not a world beater.

So really you made the OP's point for him,lol. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    First of all the biggest problem I see with that lineup is GG at C. It's NOT gonna happen, or at least it better not or myself and a lot of the fan base will lose interest in the season very quickly.

NM, I just got it. Sorry slow day. I think they BOTH need help and badly. Although the OL weak point is only GG. I'm fine with the rest and apparently the coaching staff is also. We need some depth. The "receivers" group you've thrown up, Torrey is a mediocre #1 WR. Than we have a 35 yr old who might or might not be here the year after, Marlon who even the best upside projection is a middle of the pack #2, Jacoby who won't, and shouldn't be much of a target this year and than Pitta who's a pretty damn good TE but not a world beater.

can't disagree more. I think he clearly made the point that the OL group is FAR WORSE OFF then the Receivers.

put another way, to think as you are, you have to be completely ok with Wagner at RT, but unsure of Marlon Brown as a #3 WR... when in fact, Wagner barely played last year, and Marlon Brown showed a lot of promise as our #2 WR for the entire year.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 03-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    can't disagree more. I think he clearly made the point that the OL group is FAR WORSE OFF then the Receivers.
    How so? LT-Locked, LG-locked provided he's healthy,C-NEED, RG-Probowler, RT- guy the coaching staff and scouts we're very high on

So where did you see the bigger problem?

Gradkowski is coming off perhaps the worst season for a full 16-game starter in Ravens history, and the fact that he was never benched and replaced is an indictment of our depth on the OL. He cannot start in 2014.

Beyond that, 3 of the other 4 OL spots have health and level of play question marks--will KO be ready? How chronic/degenerative is his back injury going to end up? Will he ever play at a high level again? At the other guard spot, Yanda is still playing well, but not as well as he used to; will he keep declining? Is Wagner ready to start at RT?

What about depth? There is none. Some people are bizarrely pinning a ton of hope on Jensen but he may not even make the team next year. Shipley and Reid don't belong on NFL rosters. So basically, of the 8 projected OL on our roster next year, 7 of them have question marks or aren't very good. Yeah, that sounds like an area that needs help.

How so? LT-Locked, LG-locked provided he's healthy,C-NEED, RG-Probowler, RT- guy the coaching staff and scouts we're very high on

When you have a franchise QB, I feel it's imperative that the Ravens follow the same formula that the Patriots do. Invest in having a great to elite OL, invest in a #1 WR and "go to" TE and scrape the rest of the skill players together as best as you can through cheaper FAs and the draft.

If you subscribe to this philosophy, they have more work to do on the OL than they do at WR.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Gradkowski is coming off perhaps the worst season for a full 16-game starter in Ravens history, and the fact that he was never benched and replaced is an indictment of our depth on the OL. He cannot start in 2014.

Beyond that, 3 of the other 4 OL spots have health and level of play question marks--will KO be ready? How chronic/degenerative is his back injury going to end up? Will he ever play at a high level again? At the other guard spot, Yanda is still playing well, but not as well as he used to; will he keep declining? Is Wagner ready to start at RT?

What about depth? There is none. Some people are bizarrely pinning a ton of hope on Jensen but he may not even make the team next year. Shipley and Reid don't belong on NFL rosters. So basically, of the 8 projected OL on our roster next year, 7 of them have question marks or aren't very good. Yeah, that sounds like an area that needs help.
    Uh huh, and we have a 35 yr old slated as our #2 who came off his worst season ever, behind a mediocre #1. a #3 WR that isn't going to get the breaks he did last year and a #4 who's only route is a deep 9.

Blog Entries

If we came away with Cooks in the first after trading back and Landry dropped to the 3rd. Do we really think theyd make the call to have a corps of Smith, Smith, Brown, Jones, Cooks, Landry and cut Thompson and Mellette? I just dont see the 2wr draft happening anymore. I think theres room for one rookie, and itll be a 1st or 2nd round guy and theyll move on and let Mellette beat out Thompson for that last spot (who probably didnt win Harbs over with his offseason).

Id absolutely love that core and would feel confident even if we lost Smith following next year but im not sure thats where this FO is putting their chips.
    -JAB

There is no question the OL is the biggest question mark on offense.

Until center is addressed and/or RT who has proven himself, it's a big issue.

I don't think they need to make a lot of moves, but a vet center...doesn't have to be Mack at all...and either a guard or RT will go a long way.

I like Zach Martin too, but I have a bad feeling he will be gone before 17. In any case, it would behoove the team to take a lineman in the first 2 rounds if at all possible.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    When you have a franchise QB, I feel it's imperative that the Ravens follow the same formula that the Patriots do. Invest in having a great to elite OL, invest in a #1 WR and "go to" TE and scrape the rest of the skill players together as best as you can through cheaper FAs and the draft.

If you subscribe to this philosophy, they have more work to do on the OL than they do at WR.
    I typically follow that also, hence why I'm clamoring for a better C. KO was pretty damn good at LG last year, we got Monroe back, Yanda is a All Pro. So the question marks are C and RT. Given how bad Oher was last year you HAVE to assume that anyone will be a upgrade.

Were discussing double dipping in the draft mind you. And higher round draft picks at that. I just think the receiving core is in more need of higher level players than the OL right now, as far as the DRAFT goes.

LG is a guy we have seen play the position well for a 4 game stretch in the playoffs... then come to camp with a hurt back and did not play well at all... is his back ok? Is eh the player we thought he was as a rook, or was that a mirage like it was with McKinnie and Oher.
    C- we have no legit starting option here
    RG- started to look better when his shoulder healed. Will he continue to be a high level player going forward?
    RT- we have a late round guy who played "ok" in a couple dozen 6th Olinemen sets and played fairly poorly filling in for Oher for a partial game
    Depth- we have, literally NONE, no NFL quality backups currently.

At WR, we have a guy that played well in the #2 role, but this year he will be the #3. Add in Jacoby, and 90%+ or more of our WR catches are already accounted for. We really only have a deep depth/future issue at this position group, where on the OL we could easily add 40% of the STARTERS!!!! and 100% of the depth!!!