Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrider101 View Post
    sad to see, btw, how far Penell McPhee fell down the pecking order. I thought he played very well his rookie year but the injury can wreck NFL players' careers...
    Isn't he now an OLB?

Blog Entries

Re: 48th Overall Pick: Tim Jernigan

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Isn't he now an OLB?
    That's where he was listed last season, but he really didn't play that much.

Word on the street is he has knee issues. If that's the case, he may not be long for this team.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I just watched the tape on him from the Pitt game. Granted this is an extremely small sample size but he was getting HANDLED. He is really slow coming off the snap without much leverage. It seemed every play as he would stand up from his 3 point stance he would engage the blocker, then have take a step back to get his feet under him for leverage before being able to push the lineman or try to get off the block.

This doesn't bode well projecting forward to the NFL. He really needs to work on his technique, and strength. I would be surprised if he was anything more than a space filler this upcoming year against the run, anything past that will depend on him and how motivated he is to get better. Otherwise I see a Cody in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Calvert View Post
    I just watched the tape on him from the Pitt game. Granted this is an extremely small sample size but he was getting HANDLED. He is really slow coming off the snap without much leverage. It seemed every play as he would stand up from his 3 point stance he would engage the blocker, then have take a step back to get his feet under him for leverage before being able to push the lineman or try to get off the block.

This doesn't bode well projecting forward to the NFL. He really needs to work on his technique, and strength. I would be surprised if he was anything more than a space filler this upcoming year against the run, anything past that will depend on him and how motivated he is to get better. Otherwise I see a Cody in better shape.
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/timmy-jernigan/

watched 6 condensed on that site, came away with very similar feelings.

Pitt(2013)- Mo motor issues in this game, worked hard on 90% of the snaps shown. Interestingly enough, he seemed to make a much larger contribution in the pass game in this one. IF Pitt could have kept the lead, it looks to me like they would have run all over F ST that day... LOS was immediately pushed into FSU territory on the early run downs, with Jernigan seeming quite ineffective stacking and shedding to be honest.

BC(2013)- Great game to watch, NFL caliber Oline coaching, tough blue collar players manning the positions.
    Jernigan is playing WAY TOO HIGH... We will see if the trend continues, but at this moment, I'm not seeing an NFL NT, but I am seeing more activity and movement, and thinking the 5 technique is the better spot for him. Looks more like Dwan Edwards and Art Jones then Kelly Gregg or Casey Hampton to me. Still, at this moment, looks like his best place is on a 4 man line next to an Aaron Donald type 1 gap attack dog...

MIA (2103)- This guy plays with NO Leverage. This ain't Kelly Gregg. He is showing some ability to shed the MIA interior line after he gets pushed back. That is an improvement from the past two games. Appeared to run out of gas right before half, in the hurry up, typical for a 300 pound man.

SYR(2013) - So far, and this is a pattern.... with the spot shadowing and all... it's Jersey #20(Lamarcus Joyner) jumping off the screen to me. Jernigan still playing high, bending and reaching,and in general losing the leverage battle with most of the linemen he faces. Showed some good stacking and shedding once again, yet certainly took some plays off, particularly late in the first half, half stepping it so to speak.

Clem(2013) - Blown off the ball consistently when double teamed, yet almost as consistently shedding and knifing through when singled up. Again the patter continues, Joyner and Brooks leap off the screen, this guy is just there, despite being spot shadowed before each play. He is at best the 3rd best player on this defense. I'm also starting to think we should have selected the diminutive Joyner over brooks for our FS spot. Dude flat out BALLS!!!

FLO (2013)- Uses hands well, good upper body strength. otherwise, more of the same thoughts.

Ok, I think that is enough...

In summary- IMO, I was spot on that he is not a 3-4 NT. Leverage is poor, loses BADLY to double teams in the run game consistently. Upper body strength is good, lower body strength seems average at best. Sets up too high, too often, extends beyond his base. Much better when knifing through single teams in either the pass game or run game. I think he was greatly benefited from playing NT for a team that consistently had the lead. Contrary to popular scout's impressions, I am more impressed with what he does in the passing game.

So while I came out of this with virtually the same opinion of Jernigan at the nose, and of his best schematic fit(4-3 NT) I did gain a bit of hope that he has what it takes to be a 5 tech that slots between Dwan Edwards and Art Jones. Still a very luke warm opinion of this pick. At best the 3rd best defensive player on his team, and while we did draft one of the ones that appears better on film, we skipped, IMO the best, even though he was drafted last.

Blog Entries
    Jernigan looks very similar to Art Jones actually. Seems like they took him to replace Jones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Jernigan looks very similar to Art Jones actually. Seems like they took him to replace Jones.
    In a 3-4 that's really the only place he can effectively play, at least that what it looks like from his college performance. The Ravens play enough 4 man fronts with extra DBs that he should see his fair share of 3 technique as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

In a 3-4 that's really the only place he can effectively play, at least that what it looks like from his college performance. The Ravens play enough 4 man fronts with extra DBs that he should see his fair share of 3 technique as well.
    I think the Ravens play about 60-70 % of their snaps in the nickel defense these days, so yeah... Against teams like the Pats they play almost exclusively in the nickel.

Yea he's not going to be a 3-4 NT. I don't know why anyone would have even seen him as a NT for this team. Brandon Williams is that guy. Jernigan will be a 5-tech in this scheme who will be playing 1-tech in nickel situations. If his technique issues are sured up he should be a really good player.

Blog Entries

Allegedly the Ravens had a first round grade on him. Nice article: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...0&media-type=N

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

So does anyone think Jernigan and the other dudes that failed the drug test will be suspended to start the season? Damn, we could start off having Rice and Jernigan suspended. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    So does anyone think Jernigan and the other dudes that failed the drug test will be suspended to start the season? Damn, we could start off having Rice and Jernigan suspended. Not good.
    No. Even if a diluted test is counted as a strike in the three strike system, this can only be his first. Relax Trap, you're just looking for something to bitch about.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Thanks for the first part little pal, and bull shit on the other part.