Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast

Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

I'm going to guess he signs for 17 per and a lot of money up front, pick your years 6-7. The MVP of the SB doesn't come cheap and neither does the best deep ball of late. Lets just hope it was a contract year performance and not getting better each year.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Well actually I said, we shouldn't give him a 100 million dollar type contract, not a long term deal per se. I said give him a 80 million type contract, that was back in December, and I was a big advocate of not giving him the franchise tag because of the cap hit. Now I know that I'm wrong, I've admitted that, so lets stop bringing up things that I said months ago, we can't all be right about things, that ship has sailed.
    It's all good man. And in fact, I saw the quote that I misinterpreted --- you said the non exclusive tag was around $14M, but that was all you said. At no point did you say it was what the Ravens should do. My bad. In fact, you said the Ravens should pursue a LTC along the lines of Eli. Fair enough. All I'm trying to point out is that whatever difference there is between an $18-19M LTC and a $20-21M deal is going to be minimal, and certainly does not fall into the category of preventing the Ravens from signing other necessary players. It's up to the Ravens now to get the LTC deal done. And quickly. So that the money will be freed up to sign the players while they're available.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    No disagreement there whatsoever. But I'm not talking about tagging vs LTC. I'm talking about people saying that Linta's demand that Joe be the highest paid QB in the league (which, by definition, is a LTC, not a tag) is ill-advised because it will take money away from signing other players. So let's see it. How much money will it take away if he gets more than any other QB? What would that be? $21M/year. Isn't that higher than Manning/Brees/Brady? So again...if he gets that, vs. let's say, $18-19M, which I've read here as being considered more reasonable...how much does that save? And how much will it contribute towards signing other players? Basic math would indicate -- not much. So what are people getting all worked up over?
    Sorry, but you never know. On a yearly basis, that $3M could mean not being able to sign a guy like Corey Graham or Jacoby Jones, as they did this past year. Over the life of a 7-year deal, that's $21M. That could mean not being able to re-sign a guy like Ellerbe to a long term deal.

No, in the grand scheme of the Cap $3M is only about 2.5% of the Cap, but that doesn't mean that it's unimportant and can't make a difference.

Again, I'm not saying that Joe doesn't deserve it - although I do think $20-21M is a bit too high - but I also wouldn't say that it's inconsequential either.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Sorry, but you never know. On a yearly basis, that $3M could mean not being able to sign a guy like Corey Graham or Jacoby Jones, as they did this past year. Over the life of a 7-year deal, that's $21M. That could mean not being able to re-sign a guy like Ellerbe to a long term deal.

No, in the grand scheme of the Cap $3M is only about 2.5% of the Cap, but that doesn't mean that it's unimportant and can't make a difference.

Again, I'm not saying that Joe doesn't deserve it - although I do think $20-21M is a bit too high - but I also wouldn't say that it's inconsequential either.
    I was kind of thinking about what you posted, and I agree 100%. Ozzie has a knack of signing solid players to "lesser" contracts, and we sometimes find (to our joy) that they exceed expectations. You noted Graham and JJ, who were instrumental in getting to, and winning, the Super Bowl. I'd hate to pass up a chance at a guy like these because we paid Flacco $3 mil. too much... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Fine. Yet where was this line of thinking when it came to Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc? To me, it's just way too hypocritical to lay it all on Joe, while all this other over spending went on without comment. Joe is more important than all those other players. Period.

Blog Entries

It's all good man. And in fact, I saw the quote that I misinterpreted --- you said the non exclusive tag was around $14M, but that was all you said. At no point did you say it was what the Ravens should do. My bad. In fact, you said the Ravens should pursue a LTC along the lines of Eli. Fair enough. All I'm trying to point out is that whatever difference there is between an $18-19M LTC and a $20-21M deal is going to be minimal, and certainly does not fall into the category of preventing the Ravens from signing other necessary players. It's up to the Ravens now to get the LTC deal done. And quickly. So that the money will be freed up to sign the players while they're available.
    Eli signed a 7-year $106.9 million dollar contract. That is a little over $15 million per year 3.5 years ago. I think a very fair deal for Flacco is around $17-$18 million per year, and that is where it will likely shake out.

Eli Manning:
    8/13/2009: Signed a seven-year, $106.9 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus, a second-year option bonus of $12.5 million, and all but $1 million of Manning's 2009-2011 base salaries. Another $500,000 is available in 2010-2015 via annual workout bonuses. 2013: $13 million, 2014: $15.15 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: Free Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Eli signed a 7-year $106.9 million dollar contract. That is a little over $15 million per year 3.5 years ago. I think a very fair deal for Flacco is around $17-$18 million per year, and that is where it will likely shake out.

Eli Manning:
    8/13/2009: Signed a seven-year, $106.9 million contract. The deal contains $35 million guaranteed, including a $13 million signing bonus, a second-year option bonus of $12.5 million, and all but $1 million of Manning's 2009-2011 base salaries. Another $500,000 is available in 2010-2015 via annual workout bonuses. 2013: $13 million, 2014: $15.15 million, 2015: $17 million, 2016: Free Agent
    I seriously doubt it's going to be in the $17-18M range. I'd say it's going to be closer to the $20-$21M range. Eli's deal is history now. These type of contracts are essentially guesses/projections for down the road. Eli's ship has sailed. Joe's ship is just about to sail. But we'll see.

Blog Entries

Eli Manning:
    Flacco is going to get 20 mil. It's really just a matter of how it gets structured.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Flacco is going to get 20 mil. It's really just a matter of how it gets structured.
    I was referring to a base contract. IMO, Flacco could well get a contract that takes that $17-$18 million/year up higher with incentives though. Hearing Ozzie and Bisciotti talk at their press conference made me think that they are not going to give Flacco a blank check. Flacco's agent can ask for the moon, but I don't think he is going to get it. If Flacco plays under the exclusive franchise tag next year at a cap hit of over $20 million, and the Ravens do not restructure a bunch of contracts (that they said they would not do during the press conference), then they will have to cut a decent number of players next year to get under the cap and go into a bit of a rebuilding mode. Flacco's leverage will likely go down next season playing for a team that will be lacking a number of key pieces.

Fine. Yet where was this line of thinking when it came to Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis, Rice, etc? To me, it's just way too hypocritical to lay it all on Joe, while all this other over spending went on without comment. Joe is more important than all those other players. Period.
    Did it? I seem to remember questions about some of these contracts. I specifically remember one guy (although it may have been on Sunspot) talking about Leach's deal (one of the etcs.) and repeatedly using the phrase "fullbacks are a dime a dozen".

Also, were any of those signings affected by that one year of no cap restrictions? Could that be why the protests were much more low key?

Blog Entries

I was referring to a base contract. IMO, Flacco could well get a contract that takes that $17-$18 million/year up higher with incentives though. Hearing Ozzie and Bisciotti talk at their press conference made me think that they are not going to give Flacco a blank check. Flacco's agent can ask for the moon, but I don't think he is going to get it. If Flacco plays under the exclusive franchise tag next year at a cap hit of over $20 million, and the Ravens do not restructure a bunch of contracts (that they said they would not do during the press conference), then they will have to cut a decent number of players next year to get under the cap and go into a bit of a rebuilding mode. Flacco's leverage will likely go down next season playing for a team that will be lacking a number of key pieces.
    "I trust Ozzie that he and Joe are going to come to an agreement that Joe's happy with and I'm happy with. It would be unfair for me to throw the old 'how much money you get means how much less we can build a team around you.' That's kind of a crock. Because I think the difference between his numbers and Ozzie's numbers are enough for a backup safety." -Bisciotti

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...linta/1890813/

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    "I trust Ozzie that he and Joe are going to come to an agreement that Joe's happy with and I'm happy with. It would be unfair for me to throw the old 'how much money you get means how much less we can build a team around you.' That's kind of a crock. Because I think the difference between his numbers and Ozzie's numbers are enough for a backup safety." -Bisciotti

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...linta/1890813/
    :word

What's somewhat unsettling in the article is Bisciotti talking about the possibility of using the $20M tag, and not having things done until July, rather than March:

"And we have the franchise tag available, so it's not going to be a March drop or dead (deadline). It's going to be a July drop or dead."
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 02-08-2013 at 01:38 PM.