Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What do we think of Florio's article?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Regards the suicide thing, i dont think the football players should be allowed to leave college, until the graduate with a degree, so they at least have something they hopefully enjoy, to fall back on when they retire.

To me i think its coming from everything to nothing, money problems, bordem, etc etc that is the cause of the suicides rather than concussions.

At least if they have a degree and something to fall back on, a change of life after football, a job, that they love, they might continue on with a happy life...
    I don't see how you could stop them. It's not like non-football players always graduate. I like the idea but it's just not enforceable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    I agree the NFL will keep "going" and will be fine as a commercial enterprise. Baseball and boxing are both successful commercial enterprises, though not as successful as they once were.

It just occurred to me, reading about that kid from Rutgers, that there could come a day when it's doing fine as a commercial enterprise without me.
    It would take a culture shift to change the popularity of the NFL. That's what happened with baseball and boxing. Baseball is seen by many as too slow and dull. Boxing is corrupt which makes it tough to buy into. Those sports lost their popularity because of shift in attitude by the consumers.

I don't see concussions turning NFL fans off. Every year the ratings seem to get bigger and bigger as more people watch even with these news reports.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't see concussions turning NFL fans off. Every year the ratings seem to get bigger and bigger as more people watch even with these news reports.
    I can totally see it.

If the concussion issue is not handled properly, it can take away from the physicality of the game to such a degree, the fans start seeing a much different game than what they have grown to love.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I can totally see it.

If the concussion issue is not handled properly, it can take away from the physicality of the game to such a degree, the fans start seeing a much different game than what they have grown to love.
    We're already seeing a different game in the past 3 or 4 years than the one we love and the rating keep going up. Casual fans love offense. These rules make it a lot easier to score. Most die-hards are going to watch no matter what they do. It's those casual fans that move the needle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Regards the suicide thing, i dont think the football players should be allowed to leave college, until the graduate with a degree, so they at least have something they hopefully enjoy, to fall back on when they retire.

To me i think its coming from everything to nothing, money problems, bordem, etc etc that is the cause of the suicides rather than concussions.

At least if they have a degree and something to fall back on, a change of life after football, a job, that they love, they might continue on with a happy life...
    Dave Duerson made millions after his NFL career and have a great family life. But he still ended up becoming abusive to his family, struggling in business and filing bankruptcy, and eventually killing himself. After having his brain studied it was determined that he suffered from disease linked to concussions.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Casual fans love offense. These rules make it a lot easier to score. Most die-hards are going to watch no matter what they do. It's those casual fans that move the needle.

I watched Lions and Saints in the playoffs last year and while it was high scoring I wouldn't call it a good game.

To pick a non Ravens game, one of the best games I saw last year was Browns-Steelers.
    Game where McCoy got hurt, Senneca Wallace came in, final score 13-9 Steelers.
    That was an incredible game. Great D, nervous, tight and lots of tension, AFC North football I suppose.

If casual fans are not satisfied unless they see lots of scores and long bomb passes then that's unfortunate, I hope they try to get into the sport a bit more.

It would take a culture shift to change the popularity of the NFL. That's what happened with baseball and boxing. Baseball is seen by many as too slow and dull. Boxing is corrupt which makes it tough to buy into. Those sports lost their popularity because of shift in attitude by the consumers.

I don't think it's the corruption of boxing that turned people off, I think it's the blood sport nature of it. I know that's why *I'm* not interested in boxing, or the MMA. It's just kind of gross to watch these half dressed men try to injure each other into submission.

Yes, people watch the MMA (and boxing), but there's a reason NASCAR is more popular (it is, right?) even though that's just people driving and turning left.

Quoting rock's greatest songwriter here:

They made hypocrite judgments
    After the fact
    The name of the game
    Is be hit and hit back.

And we are all the "hypocrites." The owners, the players, the fans, who love the sport even though the game is too tough for the flesh and blood players.

I was so pleased to see Pollard's quotes. That guy has some giant brass balls to lay it out the way he did. Good for him. May he retire sooner rather than later and be as healthy as possible.
    Last edited by festivus; 05-07-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: a Berger cookie for whoever is the first to name the songwriter. No Googling!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Was listening to a Frank DeFord interview today where he reiterated his stance that soccer is such a boring sport compared to American sports and he doesn't think this country will ever embrace it if we have not already. He talked about how every kid grows up playing it (ie, the soccer mom culture) but nearly all move on to become fans of other sports. Football, by contrast, according to DeFord, is just more interesting, and part of what makes in so is its inherent violence.

He went on to point out that in his opinion Goodell is not disingenuous in saying they want to make the game safer, but it may be impossible to do. It's not like the NFL plays a version of the game that is so different that it becomes unsafe. Yes, they are bigger and faster and hit harder, but it's the same game they play in college, high school and Pop Warner and he pointed out that there are "millions of concussions" happening every year at those levels, too.

I'll add that you hear a lot of NFL players saying they won't let their kids start playing football.

It may be an issue that's beyond the NFL to fix.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    I watched Lions and Saints in the playoffs last year and while it was high scoring I wouldn't call it a good game.
    To pick a non Ravens game, one of the best games I saw last year was Browns-Steelers.
    Game where McCoy got hurt, Senneca Wallace came in, final score 13-9 Steelers.
    That was an incredible game. Great D, nervous, tight and lots of tension, AFC North football I suppose.
    If casual fans are not satisfied unless they see lots of scores and long bomb passes then that's unfortunate, I hope they try to get into the sport a bit more.
    Hey Irish, IIRC didn't the Browns replace Wallace with McCoy late in the game when it made no sense? Wasn't Wallace doing pretty well while McCoy had his bell rung? If so, leave it to the Browns to to allow victory to slip through their fingers once more... Bc

Yes BcRaven, you're remembered that exactly

We will never know if Senneca Wallace could have lead the Browns to the winning score but he looked very good for the short time he was in.
    And then the Browns put a concussed McCoy back in and they lose the game. Ah Cleveland
    Not blaming the player here, that's for the coaches and trainers to make that call

Still a cracking game, AFC North football at its best

A shame for the fans who want fifty points and sixty yard passes every game, entertainment is not just about arcade style scores, it's also about tight nervous games which leave you exhausted as a fan afterwards :)

The Academy Award goes to Jamal Lewis

Turn on Outside the Lines and see why.

They ALL want a piece of that lawsuit pie! Free money to replace the money you have blown post retirement!!

Edit - nevermind they played the clip already.

Basically Jamal was answering a question just fine and then all of the sudden he "can't remember" what they asked him and had to have asked what the question was again. Of course this was a result of the numerous concussions he suffered, that just happened to manifest itself at that very moment on camera!!

Give me a break.
    Last edited by TheJoeFlaccoShow; 05-07-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: The Academy Award goes to Jamal Lewis

Ain't that the truth. Many smell money and want their share