Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could and Would

Blog Entries

Could and Would

I'm not really in love with any of the names being attached to us at the end of the first round. So if I had my druthers, I'd like to see the Ravens trade out of the first, and I'd love to get a first round pick next year, in a better draft (from admittedly premature reports). Next year w 2 firsts, and quite a few comp picks, we could be in a real good position to stock up very quickly.

So my question is this: Could the Ravens trade the 1st rounder this year, for a third this year, and a first next year?

And would you do that if you were Ozzie?

I whole-heartedly would. Thoughts?

Re: Could and Would

I'd consider it for a 1st and 2nd, but a 3rd isnt enough. We are a team with too many needs just to skip out on a first round pick this year.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

I don't, initially, see where they would be able to make that trade. If Hightower, Upshaw, Wright and Hill are all gone by the time the Ravens pick, with the outside chance that David DeCastro slides into the twenties, I would like to make a trade of that nature, because there is value in the third. You could see a situation where you get a Brandon Brooks in the second round, along with a Chris Givens and Nate Potter in the third.

For me, it would also depend on who they are trading with. It would be nice if they could be in a situation, similar to what they were in with Jamal Lewis.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    I'd consider it for a 1st and 2nd, but a 3rd isnt enough. We are a team with too many needs just to skip out on a first round pick this year.

Yeah, but imo, if we're not getting a first round talent, then are we really missing out on anything?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don't, initially, see where they would be able to make that trade. If Hightower, Upshaw, Wright and Hill are all gone by the time the Ravens pick, with the outside chance that David DeCastro slides into the twenties, I would like to make a trade of that nature, because there is value in the third. You could see a situation where you get a Brandon Brooks in the second round, along with a Chris Givens and Nate Potter in the third.

For me, it would also depend on who they are trading with. It would be nice if they could be in a situation, similar to what they were in with Jamal Lewis.

Obviously, a J Lewis situation would be ideal. However, the pick would almost assuredly be lower than what we're giving up.

But I share your skepticism. I don't see a team desperate enough to get back into the top of the first round this year. But teams do dumb stuff so maybe it will present itself.

Blog Entries

I don't see that scenario; contracts have to be spread out and there is good talent available every year. They may trade back but I don't see them trading out

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Could Atlanta be the sucker again?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Could Atlanta be the sucker again?
    You would think Atlanta would not be so quick to do that again after last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't see that scenario; contracts have to be spread out and there is good talent available every year. They may trade back but I don't see them trading out
    I don't think the contractal stuff is as relevant w the new CBA.

And we'd really just be giving up a pick in the 30s (theroretically, trading out vs. trading back) and probably be picking higher in the 3rd. I don't see us trading the first for a 2nd and 3rd this year. So it's 2012: 1 2nd, 2 3rds, and a 4th (1st in 2013) vs. 2012: 2 2nds, a 3rd, and 2 4ths. That's only one pick. Do we really have THAT many holes.

edit: incorrectaly calculated initially
    Last edited by pickles; 04-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    You would think Atlanta would not be so quick to do that again after last year.
    Then, they went out and did it for a deep threat, when they don't even have a QB that can consistently get him the ball.

Blog Entries

Then, they went out and did it for a deep threat, when they don't even have a QB that can consistently get him the ball.
    Plus, it's like they forgot that they don't have a defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    We really don't have that many needs at all IMO. We lost a lot more players last season than we did this year. What we really need is depth from this draft, it's not overally talented, the best part of it is from the 2nd round to the 4th round, you could probably find quite a few gems there.

But worst come to worst, we could still survive with Jah Reid at guard (wouldn't hurt to draft a guard to compete with him). As good as JJ was, our defense isn't going to magically decline because we lost two ageing run defenders, we have replaced them with pass rushers in McPhee and Kruger, so maybe our pass rush will be more effective if anything. We made it to the AFC Championship last season with pretty much only relying on two WR sets and two tight ends in the passing game, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt bringing in a 3rd guy in the draft. Other than that we need safety depth and Dline depth.

But I wouldn't consider any of that a major problem, I wouldn't say we are a team with MAJOR needs at all.